BOOK CLUB: My Comments on book

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by windblade, May 20, 2006.

1. windblade

windblade Active Member

Comment on : "The Curious incident.... by Mark Haddon.

I think the main reason that I liked the book so much is because I love reading and learning about people who are different than I am.

There is a feeling of joy and satisfaction when someone who I only know as a stereotype or statistic becomes known, and loved.

Where before there was a stranger, there is kinship. I read many novels by and about people of different cultures, religions and nationalities.

Christopher was an unknown to me.

I had seen "Rainman' and 'Family Pictures' and they were my only 2 sources of experience of an autistic character.

But they were written from other people's views.

Reading from Christopher's point of view was fascinating.

He was limited by his autism, yet enhanced by his great mathematical brilliance, and the satisfaction this brought him.

His trip to London was for him as strenuous, unknown and terrifying as a trip to Antartica. But I admired how well he used the skills he had to navigate there, and to overcome the furious, unending mental stimulation he experienced.

I came to love Christopher and admire his perseverance, enjoy his brilliant mind, and grieve over the losses that his autism produced, grieving for him and his family.

But admiration won out.

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2006]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

oH i REPLIED WITH MY COMMENTARY UNDER YOUR OTHER POST. cAN YOU PUT THIS POST WITH THE OTHER ONE SO THEY ARE ALL TOGETHER?

tHANKS.

lOVE aNNE c