Book Club: Need suggestions for our March book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Feb 18, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Feel free to throw in suggestions you made for February: Q & A? HOME TO HARMONY? Others I've forgotten?

Let's check the hold lists at our library for availability. I just noticed I'm #6 on the list for Q & A.

I'll post a voting thread this weekend, and in about a week, I'll post our discussion thread for WHOSE BODY?

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2009]
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Ken,

Here's a new book suggestion: a book called "The Irish Game" by Matthew Hart. Quoting from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the book is "A true-crime tale take that includes a priceless Vermeer stolen from the same Irish country house, and a father-and-son detective team who recovers the painting 19 years apart." That is a very brief summation. I recommend checking out for a more in depth explanation of the book.

The author also discusses the country house and the paintings stolen (and provides beautiful pictures of them) as well as some of the art techniques used. I haven't read the whole book, but I've perused different parts of it thanks to the great index.

It was published in 2005, so I'm guessing it would be available in libraries without folks being #173 in line waiting to read it.

Have a happy/healthy day everyone!

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2009]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I read up on it on Amazon. Good suggestion; looks intriguing, and with good reviews.

I will add it to the vote!

And hope you're having a happy, healthy day.

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2009]
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had suggested last month the book And Then We Came To The End.

I was unable to participate for this month and do not know all the rules nor how the book discussion works.

I would appreciate any information.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry, I couldn't find our previous suggestion post, and I couldn't remember the other titles. Can I use my memory problems as an excuse? :)

I will put AND THEN WE CAME TO THE END in the vote.

That's okay if you couldn't join us this month. Not too many rules, and we're very laid back! You can hop in anytime. Just read the March book with us, whatever we vote on, and then join us on the discussion thread that I'll post during the last week of the month.

Glad you're joining us.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Jean: Thanks for posting that list. How did you find it? When I do a search for "Book Club" above, nothing comes up.

Gap: Jean's right about not even having to read the monthly book to be in the club. Sometimes there are fun digressions, and sometimes we just talk about other things we're reading, like Jean said. I've found a lot of treasures that way.

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Is the discussion in chat? The crime novel also looks interesting.

ETA Extreme brain fog here. If you can search it than it is on the message board. But just in case it is different I will not delete this.<br[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2009]
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

no suggestions myself.

I haven't even started this month's book yet but as it's very thin and looks enjoyable, I think I'll get it read quickly.

I don't like gruesome crime novels though so will check up on this one.

Interesting to see a list of the books we've been through.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Yep, I post the discussion thread during the last week of each month on the chat board.

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Ken, thanks for adding "The Irish Game" to the vote. Glad you are doing better and have been able to post!

Gapsych, this is a very fun, easy-going book club, although Ken does give random pop quizzes, so you should be prepared for those. HA! (I'd never make it if that were the case!) Hope all is well and that the heavy brain fog is lifting.

Hi Jean, how are YOU doing? I hope you are feeling good. It's nice to see you also. You are always so warm and welcoming. :) Glad the book looks interesting to you. If I could just find the time to read more often. I sometimes lose continuity.

Rosie, I hope you are doing well also!

Have a peaceful, relaxing day everyone,

11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

That's right, Gap. Our only rule is, there are no rules. Is that a paradox? Oxymoron? Conundrum?

Looking over the list I see there are some books I greatly enjoyed and several I stopped reading
    part-way through. People can contribute to the discussion disregardles if they done read the
    book or otherwise.

I just finished a book on the Lincoln Family. I found it fascinating, but it's
    probably too long for the book club. Over 400 pages.

I remember reading in Life Magazine about Lincoln's coffin being opened in 1901. His son
    Robert was there and identified the body. Among the two dozen people present was a 13
    year old boy with the interesting name of Fleetwood Lindley.

Charles Lachman, author of "The Last Lincolns" wrote, "When he died in 1963 at the age of 75,
    Lindley became the last living person on earth to have seen Abraham Lincoln's face."

12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we were going to read the ATkinson book

When Will There Be Good News - Kate Atkinson

but if people can't get it right away from libraries, we could always keep putting it off til everyone has it.

13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Cate, I read there is a book that contains all known Lincoln photos. (Aside: Illustrating Alzheimer's at
    work, I typed "big" for "book" in the last sentence. Do stuff like that all the time now.)

Trying to find the book, but the library's computer is a millstone rather than a stepping stone.

Mary Lincoln lived 17 years after the assassination. She wore black the entire time.
    Although she was rich, she continually cried poverty, and petitioned Congress for

She may have been manic depressive. Now and then she would have bouts of
    energy and go on wild shopping sprees. She bought jewelry even though she no longer
    wore same. She bought $600 worth of curtains even though she had no house.

She carried something like $84,000 worth of bonds sewn into her clothes. Her son Robert
    had her committed to an insane asylum in 1875. It apparently was a genteel sort of place
    for the well-to-do, and she was released after 4 months.

She also lived for some years in France and traveled a lot. She learned French when she
    was a girl.

W/ regard to a book, I agree with Rosie. Anything is fine. I already have tried Whose Body, And
    Then We Came to the End, and the Akinson book. Didn't like any of them. Haha. But I
    think it's worthwhile to sample new authors. Obviously we can form our own opinions.

Haven't watched any TV since I moved six years ago. I am suffering from docu-deprivation.
    Other than that, don't miss much. Typical elderly old grump. Don't like modern tv, music, movies,
    fashions, fads, etc. Do like many modern books though.

Books to the ceiling,
    Books to the sky,
    My pile of books is a mile high.
    How I love them! How I need them!
    I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.

By Arnold Lobel

(Lobel was a prize-winning and popular author and illustrator of children's books. He died about
    20 years ago.)

14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Haven't had a chance to post. Sounds like a my kind of book club, NO RULES!! ANARCHY RULES!!

I have some friends who joined a canasta group about twelve years ago. They have only played canasta two times. They still call themselves The Canasta Club. My kind of people.

Quizzes are fine since I am a teacher, but I do cheat.

Will plan on joining you all.

From the Land of Lincoln.

ETA Thanks for all the info!!! Smiley face here!!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2009]