Book Club: our July book is...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jul 3, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

NOBODY, NOWHERE, by Donna Williams.

It's gotten good reviews on Amazon, and there should be no lines for the hold list at your library.

Also wanted to wish everyone a happy Independence day!

Here is a bit on the book from Amazon:

Victims of the complex, much-misunderstood and professionally baffling disease of autism will find an eloquent voice in Australian-born Williams, one of its victorious survivors. After 25 years, this daughter of abusive parents, shunted from school to school, began to emerge from a private, protective, hallucinatory world in which she was inhabitated by multiple personalities. Here Williams recounts how she learned to communicate and live with others. Inspired by an empathetic therapist, and determined to "take herself apart and put herself back together," Williams resumed schooling, graduating from college with honors. While she will always be autistic, her moving memoir and clear analysis of the nature of her illness shows how she was able to transcend it at least partially.
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for suggesting this book and posting the link to Donna Williams's website. I'll be checking that out.

I just got my copy from the library today.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I put it on hold.

I got the book Dancing at the Rascal fair. Still don't know what a "Rascal Fair" is. I searched. Most of the sites were regarding Doig's book. A couple were a site for Montana bloggers.

Visited the site for Donna Williams. Take a while to look at all of it.

Just finished a book on Lucy by one of her writers, Madelyn Pugh. She and Bob Carroll Jr were writing partners (but not married to each other) for decades. They wrote and produced hundreds of shows for radio and tv.

Madelyn expressed great admiration and affection for Lucy and Desi. She did say that some of the entertaining stories Lucy told to interviewers about ad libs in the script were not true.