Book Club: our March book is The Shape Shifter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 1, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Yaat'eeh (hello in Navajo).

March's book is The Shape Shifter by Tony Hillerman, as decided in the last voting thread. It's his latest Joe Leaphorn mystery novel, set in Arizona and New Mexico.

Hillerman has a lot of mysteries out now, with Navajo detectives Joe Leaphorn or Jim Chee as protagonists. Three of them have been made into films which have been shown on PBS: Coyote Waits, The Thief of Time, and Skinwalkers. Another was made into a theatrical film, The Dark Wind. Hillerman writes with a deep knowledge of and respect for Navajo culture and landscapes.

As usual, let's read it and post during the last week of the month.

New members always welcome.

Hag'onee (goodbye).

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am putting it on hold.

(As a general rule, most books have one shape: rectangular.)

I was once a social worker to the Chippewa Indians, but I never learned any Chippewa. When I worked in Little Tokyo, I learned one word: arigata (thank you).

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I put The SS on hold. I am number 228; there are 102 copies.

Is this his latest book? Gordon suggests we shift to an earlier book by T. H.

4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I got the CD version out of the library without having to wait! No holds on it either; I've already renewed it once.

Maybe this time I'll actually finish the book by the time Ken posts the discussion thread, LOL!
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

You mean the MARCH book is "The Shape Shifter", right?

It doesn't take much to confuse me!

Could you change the title of your thread, please?
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

LOL! I'm in such a fog I didn't even notice that Ken's title says February!

He's a teacher, I'll bet he was trying to see if we were paying attention!!! So far you were the only student paying attention, good for you!!!
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I need to start reading again, havent read a book this year so will be happy to join your book club.

Logged into our wee local library and yes, they have it so I'll send my hub up tomorrow to get a copy for me.

Checked again, its out on loan until 12th so will reserve it and hope there isnt a waiting list.

[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2007]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad you noticed that.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It will be fun to have you reading with us.