Book club: Our March book is...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. There was a tie between it and The Bluest Eye, but I broke it with my vote!
    Leading this thing gives me these privileges. :)
    We could have used a few more votes, clubbers!

The Kite Runner has gotten rave reviews on Amazon, and it's got a good film adaptation that came out recently. It's about two friends who grew up together in Afghanistan. One moved to California, but he returns to Afghanistan to help his friend. That's about all I know about the plot yet.

Let's throw The Bluest Eye back in the vote for April, though. Toni Morrison is a super writer. I used to teach her book Beloved (definitely not an easy read, by the way).

I'll start our Middlesex thread later today.

New members always welcome.

[This Message was Edited on 02/25/2008]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This is great because I already ordered a used copy of this book!! I decided I would read it either way!!~

I'll look for the Middlesex post later!!

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've already read this but it was so good I will read it again and I think everyone who reads it will also want to read his other book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

My daughter has seen the film and said it was excellent, she'd read the book first.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

you have to read the book and THEN watch the movie!

Glad you're looking forward to it, Rosie and the Detroit Twins! I'm looking forward to this one, too.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just got my copy of The Kite Runner from the library this evening. Also wanted to bump this up so more people saw it.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm bumping and reserving.

Thanks, Ken.

7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I bought a used version on ebay! Can't wait to start reading.

8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I happen to have Kite Runner sitting right here...
    So what do you do.. you read and finish the book within the month, then discuss the following month - or do you discuss during the book??
  9. Toga

Toga Member

I missed reading the February Book, but I'm read for March. It should be here in a day or two.

10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we read the book and discuss it at the end of the month. Ken is our bookclub Professor.

Nice to meet you.

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad you're joining us, Janalynn. Usually, I post a discussion thread around the 25th of the month or so.

Glad you got your copy too, Toga.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

in case anyone missed it.

13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I got my copy of The Kite Runner today and will be starting it tonight!

14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hey Ken,

I am back on line with a fixed puter-been gone a long time I know. I have been doing a lot of reading and have a whole new list of authros to bother you all with. I remember I was one of your first members back in 2006?

I have been enjoying Jeanne Ray - she writes very funny books, my fave being Eat Cake - she actually is a nurse who also writes.

Because I feel like being naughty and have been reading a lot of deep stuff of late, I just started Steven King's new book....well just because!!!

Nice to be back. I started the Kite Runner last year but could not finish it, although it is a great story well written.

Missed you guys.

Love Cromwell (AKA Annie)
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Welcome back! How have you been?

Glad you're computer is fixed and you're joining us again!

I had a bad relapse last summer and wasn't on a whole lot during the fall. Mollystwin and TwinofDar had to take over for me for a while. But Book Club lives on!

I'll be curious to know what all you've been reading. I checked out Stephen King's new one, but it was a bit heavy for me, literally--the hardbound copy was too heavy for me to lift every day.

[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2008]
  16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yup, I realised it was last April when I was last here-almost a year!

Having trouble lifting that dang book too. Dan has been reading it out aloud to me as I am having terrible eye problems with flashing lights, after images and persistent floaters as well as some pain. I get an MRI fairly soon re that. I can read it in bed lying on my side.

For updates on my "missing year" check out the latest edition of the Porchlight where I gave a short synopsis.

I got a book from the library called "Authors for Dummies" at least I think that is what it was called-anyway it lists authors in groups according to style etc. with one of their books titled. It is a great resource for anyone who likes to read and has introduced me to some new and some forgotten read in the past authors.

love Annie
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

goodness what a year you've had.

I'm so sorry about your brother, I'm glad he's recovering slowly and how touching that he was able to walk his daughter down the aisle. There musn't have been a dry eye in the church.

How wonderful that your son is now playing classical music, you've had some terrible times Anne, but great things have happened too.

I love the porch but cannot keep up with it, too busy for me.

So welcome back Anne.

18. springwater

springwater Active Member

My daughter read the book and loved it. It seems to be a book old and young are entranced by. She brought home the DVD and I watched it. I normally cant stand emotional stuff but this was a movie i just loved. And one of the characters got rave reviews for the movie tho i wont dicuss it till most everyones read the book / watched the movie. I am so happy this book has been chosen for Book Club.

God Bless

Tidbit...not too many years ago our countrys plane got hijacked and flown to Afghanistan by terrorists...all the passengers survived except one just married man who had come here to spend his honeymoon. He had stayed at the hotel I used to work at and the staff said they just knew it was him who got killed, because he was such a difficult client, he made the hotel staffs lives miserable with his demands and tantrums. Turns out he did the same on the plane with the terrorists. But then terrorists are terrorists not hotel staff whose motto is 'Customer is always right'. Anyways, God rest his soul.
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Is the DVD out already, then? I'm almost done with the book, and looking forward to seeing the film version. Hope you join us at the end of the month for the discussion.

That's quite a story about the hijacked plane and the guy who was killed. What country are you from?

20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very glad to hear your brother is doing better. What a long process of recovery. How thrilling that your autistic son was playing classical music by ear, also. Hope spring is on its way to your new home near Buffalo. You've sure been through a lot! But you and your family seem to have a strong, resilient spirit.