Book Club: Our May book is EAT CAKE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 3, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I got my copy from the library already. The only one they had available was large print, which I can't stand, but looks like a fun read.

By all accounts, Eat Cake is a comedy about a Minneapolis housewife, her cantankerous family, and well, cake. It's gotten excellent reviews on Amazon.

It will be just what I need: a nice easy read after War and Peace!

At the end of the month, I'll ask you about the book, and whether you prefer Angel Food or Devil's Food.

New members always welcome.

2. bct

bct Active Member

Alright, sounds good. I'm picking up my copy today and am looking forward to it.

I am curious about the cake part, and hope that the book is not too full of sugar! Or saccharine or stevia, for that matter, lol.
  3. Danille

Danille New Member

It has an expected wait of 5 days. It will be good to read something that isn't research into getting better.

By the way, I am feeling better. See my I slept last night thread. I have some pain but not awful, same for fatigue, but my mind is alert and I feel a lightness I haven't felt in a long time.

Happy weekend everyone.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

but am an expert on this topic already. Used to live in Minneapolis and have eaten plenty of cake.

I was a kid in the "old days". Before there were cake mixes. When an angel food required the whites of 13 eggs.

My Aunt Myrtle's chocolate cake was a work of art.

5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...I wanted to give some background on Jeanne Ray the author-she is an RN and wrote the book whilst working night shift during quiet times. I understand her daughter is an author.

I kind of admire her for trying to write books. She has written several now.

I thought the book would make a good "fun" movie-I could see the woman who played the lead in Dolores Claybourne (famous actor) as the older mom, and Jack Nicholson as the older dad, with William Hurt as the middle aged dad and goodness knows who as the cake maker.

It sort of reminded me a bit of Fannie Flagg books, and guess what as I already read it, I can start War and Peace (NOT!)

I am excites that Cranford is on PBS this Sunday I am so looking forward to seeing it. I love Judi Dench and all the other actors, Michael Gambon etc. Judi Dench was my doctor's daughter many years ago in the UK.

I may even get Eat Cake out again just to brush up.

I have actually taken up writing again and I am on about Chapter four of a disaster novel for young teens I hope to market to the Christian Publishers, under my DH's middle name of Adams so if you see anything by Annie Adams that will be me!!! It will happen about the same time those flying pigs will be circling overhead no doubt-one never knows.......................

Love Annie
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock: I, too, have lived in Minneapolis and have eaten plenty of cake.

Annie Adams! So you're doing some YA writing? Good for you! If they have any sense, they'll publish your book. What's it about? I never buy books (always get them from the Library), but I'll buy one of yours if they publish it. Thanks for the background on the author. Haven't seen Cranford, but I have caught an episode or two of a BBC comedy called "Coupling." I'm kind of surprised at what they can get away with on the BBC these days. Kind of like a British "Friends."

Dame Judi Dench was your doctor's daughter? That's something.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2008]
  7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Hi Ken and book club members....i haven't been following the book club lately and was wondering if you had read A (Or One)THousand Splendid Suns.....or the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini? OMG! the splendid suns one became my new FAVORITE BOOK!

Just wondering...

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Kite Runner was our March book! Type in "Book Club Kite Runner" in the search bar to find our discussion thread.

I thought it was a tremendous, moving book about redemption, and a number of people went on to read A Thousand Splendid Suns as well. I've got the movie, The Kite Runner, in my Netflix queue.

Did I ask you where in Minnesota you're from. Rock is from a small town in southeast Minnesota originally, and I grew up in South St. Paul. My dad lives in Wabasha, along the river, and my sister is in Minnetonka.

I live in New Mexico now.

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2008]
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Finished Eat Cake. I am discussing it right now before I forget it.

Contrary to the impression I got here and from the blurbs, I did not find the book "comic" or "funny". However, I enjoyed it anyway. It reminded me of Maeve Binchy's books.

It didn't have lot of characters like her books do, but it had people starting or improving a business. Maeve always likes to see people improve their sitiuation.

I learned the name of a new ingreediment: fiori de Sicily:
    flowers of Sicily. Couldn't find it on the net. Can't wonder away very far to search or I'll lose my post.

Aside: Verdi wrote an opera called I Vespri Siciliani: Sicilan Vespers. The original was in French. It's five acts, but if you'd just like a sample, you can find it on Youtube.

Another aside: That orange marmalade cake Jan Karon writes about sounds horrid to me. Probably be good w/ raspberry jam. Almost anything would be better than that nasty, bitter marmalade.

And so we see that some books involve taste buds as well as literary taste.

I'd give it a four outta five, Dick, cause it has a good beat.

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2008]
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

and realize that I read it before when it was new. No matter. It's getting so if I wait a few years it's like having an almost-new book to read! At least at this rate, I'll never run out of reading material as long as my eyes hold up.

I've laughed out loud once and drooled many times. It's a good counterpoint to Kite Runner.

11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I did find it funny. Maybe it is a female thing. Tuning into the exasperation she feels. The mebtal picture of the spouse with his affirmities.

I still think it would make a good movie.

Love Annie
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

waiting for it to be delivered, managed to get it on ebay - no book shops here have it or library.

13. bct

bct Active Member

They sent it to the wrong branch, so missed it last week.

I am looking forward to the marmelade cake; love the stuff! Anyone like marmelade with ginger? Yum!

14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

no I've bought it off EBay UK but couldnt get it from Amazon UK or local bookshops.