Book Club: our May book is WATER FOR ELEPHANTS, by Sarah Gruen

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 3, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

This one looks well-worth our time. As usual, I'll post about it during the last week of the month.

New members always welcome.

[This Message was Edited on 05/03/2007]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Just bought it on ebay. Hope it comes soon. It was only 3.95 but I had to pay shipping and handling too. All copies are checked out of the library.

Can't wait to read this one!
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You old son of a gopher. Haha

Ok, for whatever good it will do, I put it on hold. I'll probably get a copy in July.

I am, of course, already an expert on circuses having read 4 or 5 books on same in the last few months. Of course w/ Az I forget 4% of what I read per day, so I will only be an expert for another 3 days.

Just finished another James Patterson thriller and am re reading an old P. G. Wodehouse. Well, he died in the 70s. There are no new Wodehouses.

Just think. In his 90s and still writing.

Tinkerteetonk (as P.G. used to say)

4. amber7

amber7 New Member

am new to the chit chat board- normally just use the depression board- would love to join in!

amber x
  5. amber7

amber7 New Member

...on the net-

it starts 'i'm ninety. or ninety-three. one or the other'-

i'm hooked already! i love books that suck you right in.

amber x
  6. rockgor

Anybody who wants to join is automatically a member. You will enjoy the group. We read lots of sucky books.

Ken poses challenging and thought-provoking questions.
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

to find a copy in a local bookshop so will pick itup on Monday. Lots of sucky books, Rock, lol. I look forward to them.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad you're joining us. So you're from the UK? Where in England do you live? Rosiebud and Paulmack live in Scotland and Anne Cromwell used to live in England.

Don't listen to Rockgor about the sucky books. He just forgets how good they are. :)

Rock: Hello, fellow ex-Minnesotan. PG Wodehouse is still writing in his 90s? Good genes, I guess. How come we didn't get any of those?
    What Patterson thriller would you recommend? I read one a while back, but forgot the title and what it was about.

Mollystwin and Rosiebud: Glad you found copies.

[This Message was Edited on 05/04/2007]
  9. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm going to check my library and see if i can get a copy or mail a book.

Seeing as i recommended it, i guess i better join in on this one. LOL

I sure hope it's not sucky! LOL

It's diffinitly not what i usally read.

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Definitely doesn't look sucky. Glad you're reading it too, since you're the one who recommended it! :)

11. amber7

amber7 New Member

i live in newcastle, which is in the north-east of england. have you heard of newcastle brown ale?

amber x
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have heard of Newcastle Brown Ale. I used to have it on occasion. You can even buy it in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where I live!

I spent the fall of 1987 in England, and travelled all over England and Scotland, but never had the chance to visit Newcastle. Is York anywhere near you?

13. amber7

amber7 New Member

newcastle is about an hour away from york on the train

did you like england and scotland? would live to visit the usa, but have never been

amber x
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So I guess I was pretty close to your part of England. I loved England and Scotland, and got to see a lot of cool places. My favorites were probably London, Cornwall, York, and Cambridge, in England. In Scotland, I went to Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Inverness, and the Isle of Skye, which was rugged and beautiful. I would love to return to the UK someday. All my travel these days is through reading or on the computer, since I've been disabled with CFS for two years now.

Hope you get a chance to see the US someday. The southwest part of the US, where I live, has a lot of beautiful things to see: the Grand Canyon, lots of National Parks, ancient Indian ruins, the Rocky Mountains, high desert.

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2007]
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

and I'm starting it today!
  16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Woo hoo! I'm going to start today too! Can't wait. I missed last month, so I'm exited to read this months book.

Happy reading everyone!
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

18. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

This was a good one!! Can't wait to discuss at the end of the month. Hope I remember what I read by then!!
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

you're way ahead of me. I'm only a few chapters in, but it's really intriguing so far. I'm glad you're looking forward to talking about it, too.

Hope all is well up in Michigan.

20. rockgor

If you would read Amber's message, Ken, you would see the meaning, somewhat skewed perhaps, of "sucky".

Due to one of those amazing kawinkeedinks that lead people to believe in the paranormal, I found a book by Sara Gruen in a the bag of ten cent paperbacks I got at the library's book sale.

It is her first book; title "Riding Lessons". Does it involve horses? Yes, it does, and people even more so.

It was a compelling book but it made me somewhat uncomfortable to read. The main character is passive in the face of her parents' mistreatment and ineffectual in dealing w/ her rebellious daughter. Furthermore she botches up everything she touches.

It all comes magically together in the last few pages to produce a happy ending. Not terrible convincing to me.

Still the book shows a great deal of promise. Be interesting to see what "The Elephant's Daughter" is like.