Book Club: Please make suggestions for September book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Aug 23, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll start off by throwing two titles (already recommended by Marta) into our vote:

Breakfast with Buddha, by Roland Merullo
    What on Earth Have I done?: Stories, Observations, and Affirmations, by Robert Fulghum

I'm in a bit of a relapse and am too tired to post summaries. Check Amazon for descriptions, and feel free to throw more titles in the vote. A good, juicy novel would be good for September too.

I finished the Joe Hill book. As the younger generation would say, woot! I'll post another thread on it in a few days, and a voting thread as well. Time to go nap...

[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Am still reading the Fulghum book.

Last night I read "Auggie Wren's Christmas Story". The author is not Auggie Wren, but one Paul Auster.

The book is pretty good. Very short; takes 10 - 15 minutes to read.

The only problem is the illustrations which I find ugly and distracting.

Started a book last night that is described as historical fiction, a romance, and a mystery. I don't know why an author would write a book about an opera singer if she doesn't even know the difference between Act II and Act III of Tosca.

It seems pretty basic to me: the villainous baritone gets killed in Act II. Therefore he cannot appear in Act III.

Just started a book called "Cat Man". Seems to be another category heard from: circus noir. I'd say the future looks black if not bleak.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

just finished reading 4 books by Adriani Trigiani - Big Stone Gap, Big Cherry Holer, Milk Glass Moon and Homne to Big Stone Gap - about the same family. Excellent reading though I have to admit the first 2 were the best.

I've really enjoyed reading them and wonder how I managed to miss them in the first place.

What's next I don't know - there's one more by her Queen of The Big Time so I'll get that. Already read Lucia Lucia - loved it and Rococo was one of our book club books though I didn't manage to get into that one.

I just read a book by Andre Gide - The Immoralist - I picked it up in the library one day when I didn't have my reading glasses (was there to collect books I'd ordered) - saw that the photo on the front looked like Oscar Wilde - and I've been wanting to read his 'sayings' - got it home and found it was this other book. I really thought I'd hate it but it was excellent so long as I remembered that what was thought to be immoral in those days is far from immoral now.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock, will have to look into your "circus noir." Rosie, "The Immoralist" looks interesting. Makes you wonder if one hundred years from now, our days will seem like the Victorian Era.

I am finishing a book called Uncle Petros and Golbach's Conjecture: A Novel of Mathematical Obession. It's mysterious and fun, and you don't have to enjoy mathematics to enjoy the book.

I've also decided to read A Traveller's History of Mexico. I'm not planning on travelling there anytime soon, but it staggers me to realize how little I know about Mexico, considering it's a very large country six hours away from me.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2008]
  5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

How about, The Healing Stone by Nancy Rue & Stephen Arterburn

I got it in the mail awhile ago, and haven't read it yet.

Here's what the Jacket cover says;

With one flash of a camera, Demi's private life becomes public news. She doesn't know it yet, but her healing has just begun.

Christian college professor Demitria Costanas had vowed to end her affair with a colleague. But she gives into temptation one last time...and a lurking photographer captures her weakness for all to see. Quite literally, she's the woman caught in adultery. And almost everyone--herself included--has a stone to throw.

Enter Sullivan Crisp, a decidedly unorthodox psychologist with his own baggage. He's well-known for his quirky sense of humor and incorporation of "game show" theology into his counseling sessions. And yet there's something more he offers...hope for a fresh start.

Reluctantly the two of them begin an uplifting, uneven journey filled with healing and grace. By turns funny and touching, this story explores the ways humans hurt each other and deceive themselves. And it shows the endlessly creative means God uses to turn stones of accusation and shame into works of beauty that lead us onto the path of healing.

[This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

My suggestion is 'A Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole

'The ordinary folk of New Orleans seem to think he is unhinged as well. Ignatius ignores them as he heaves his vast bulk through the city's fleshpots in a noble crusade against vice, modernity and ignorance. But his momma has a nasty surprise in store for him. Ignatius must get a job.'

CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES made a splash when it first appeared on the scene, and still has a strong following. I'd put it in the same category as the novels ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, KATZENJAMMER (by Mccrae), and THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP.'

John Kennedy O'Toole penned this book in the early 1960s and killed himself before that decade was out in despair at being unable to get it published.

There ought to be a statue erected and a holiday named for the author's sainted mother, whose tenacity finally resulted in her son's wonderful gift being published and his genius deservedly recognized with the 1981 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

This is not a NEW book so you may all have read it already. However if it's as good as they say, maybe you would like to revisit it?

[This Message was Edited on 08/27/2008]
  7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi everyone:
    Sorry you all hated the Joe Hill book. What can I say, the son does not favor the father in writing ablities.

What I am reading: Wicked by Gregory Maguire
    It is a fairy tale where animals talk , Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle class stability, and the Tin Man becomes victim to domestic violence. And then there's a little green skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to be the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly, and misunderstood creature who chllenges all our preconceieved notions about the nature of good and evil.

Also just finiished a dairy from a 14 year old Polish girl named Rutka Laskier which is from the holocaust.
    The story is amazing to say the least, it is also so very sad. I find it so hard to believe that this could have happened so short a time ago, but I know it did.It's mind boggling. Anyway, the book is called:
    Rutka's Notebook A Voice from the Holocaust
    In 2006 an 82 year old woman in Bedzin,Poland, releaveled a secret she had kept for 61 years: she possesed a notebook written by her friend Rutka Laskier, a 14 year old Jewish girl, in the months before she perished in the gas chambers of Auschwitz.
    There are a lot of photos of Rutka and family. Aslo pictures of Labor camps and The train to Auschwitz.
    Please excues any typing errors, I typed this all out myself this morning and I am pretty sore.

I am reading more books but will save them for next month unless you want me to put them up too.

I love reading!
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'll be happy to hear about the books you're reading, always looking for something good to read. It's hit and miss with me.

I find books and films about the holocaust increasingly difficult to read/watch these days. I did watch a couple of documentaries over here recently about children whose mothers were survivors and another about children who were hidden by christian families in Poland. It's good to know that there were some decent people willing to put their lives on the line to help these poor kids but sadly not enough.

Anyway, yes any good books....I'd like to hear about them, I'm hopeless otherwise and have had some good advice here.

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2008]