Book Club: Please vote on August book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Aug 2, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's close the voting by Monday night. Sorry I've been slow in posting this.

Here are our choices for August:

Fifth Business, Robertson Davies
    April Fool, William Deverell
    Green Dolphin Street, Elizabeth Goudge
    Lost Horizon, James Hilton
    20th Century Ghosts, Joe Hill (a collection of short stories, something Book Club has never read together).

For reviews and descriptions, see the previous post or Amazon. Let me know if I missed any suggestions from the previous post.

[This Message was Edited on 08/03/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Kellyanne mentioned a book of scary short stories. I don't think we've read a short story collection before. Might be good for some of our gang who couldn't get thru an entire book.

I hate modern short stories. I remember reading Edna Ferber's short stories decades ago. I think the book was called One Basket. (It had a picture of a basket on the cover.)

Anyway that's the kind of old-fashioned story I like. The kind where you get done and wish it were longer.

I never watched Seinfeld. Think I saw one program. I read a lot of show biz stuff. No matter what tv show is under discussion, the people in it always say they are breaking new ground, raising the standards of tv, setting new trends, etc.

As far as I can all they're doing is getting rich churning out the same old tired formula pablum.

I think I've read all the above books except April Fool, so that's my choice.

Am well into The Other Side of Death. The author keeps zig-zagging between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I think I've been to both. Went w/ Gordon when he had to inspect some properties. I remember the Governor's palace w/ the peddlers out front.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I added 20th Century Ghosts above, plus I put it on hold at the library. It's by the same author who wrote Heart Shaped Box, which got good reviews.

If we don't read a collection of short stories this month, let's do it next month.

I know what you mean about critics who are always commenting about how music, movies, or shows, "push the boundaries," or "expand what's possible," or "redefine the sitcom," or "change how we view the soap opera," ad nauseum... Seinfeld did seem a little different in its nihilism, though. And its self-reflexivity. "A show about nothing."

You've been to Santa Fe? So you remember the Pueblo and Navajo artists selling their wares under the portico at the Palace of the Governors? Santa Fe is only an hour away, but because of my illness, I haven't been there in four years. It's a beautiful city, at 7000 feet elevation and with a wonderful plaza and some of the best restaurants in the country, but it's become so chic and trendy and touristy, and a modest three bedroom house costs well over half a half a million. Judith Van Gieson has a pretty shrewd eye for sizing up New Mexico people, landscape and culture.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/03/2008]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm happy to go along with whatever is chosen.

Had a bad time with books lately. Like Rock, been reading a couple of books that have won prizes and been nominated and they have been terrible, couldn't even finish them.

Read a really good book though by an American writer Rebecca Miller, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee - thought it would turn out to be a chic lit book, but it was very enjoyable.

Seinfield, I never managed to find much humour in his programmes either.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks, Rosie. I know what you mean about reading prize-winning books that turn out to be dreadful.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I just put 20th Century Ghosts on hold, too. The Albuquerque library doesn't have April Fool, unbelievably, so how about we read the ghost book for August? It will be a nice change reading a collection of short stories.

Jean: I love Lost Horizon and have read it several times. Ever seen the 1930's Frank Capra film adaptation with Ronald Coleman and Jane Wyman? It's superb.

[This Message was Edited on 08/05/2008]