Book Club: Please vote on January's book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 17, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

One Mississippi, Mark Childress
    Angelica, Arthur Phillips
    Boom: Voices of the Sixties, Tom Brokaw
    Musicophila: Tales of Music and the Brain, Oliver Sacks
    Open House, Elizabeth Berg

Thanks to the Twins for leading during my relapse. I'm doing slightly better, so I hope to be up for leading discussions again. Let's end the voting in a week.

New members always welcome. Just read the book and discuss it with us during the last week of the month. This month's book is Middlesex.

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Glad to see you are some better. Hope you are soon much better.

I vote for the Oliver Sacks book. The title reminds me of the opera Hamlet by Ambroise Thomas. Ophelia is sung by a coloratura. Hamlet is a baritone. The opera has a happy ending.

Just finished the second volume of memoirs by Neil Simon. He was certainly prolific. In fact, altho he doesn't say so, he hints that his constant writing may have been a large factor in his 2 divorces.

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2007]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hope you are doing well. The Neil Simon memoirs sound interesting, as does the Hamlet opera. Did you know that in the Ethan Hawke film version of Hamlet, he delivers the famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy in a Blockbuster video store? Also, Denmark is a corporation, Claudius is its CEO, and the whole film is set in New York City.

What is a "colorotura," by the way?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2007]
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I vote for One Mississippi 1st choice
    Open House 2nd choice
    Angelica sounds good too!!
    Muciophila was rated very good but I'm more in the mood for a novel.

Come on book club members!! Let's all vote!!!

ps Ken, it was a pleasure to fill in for you. Not that anyone could adequately fill your shoes!! We are happy you are back!!
  5. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi my vote for January is One Mississippi

It really is a wonderful book! It is a very easy read and hard to put down!

Your Reading Buddy,
  6. rockgor

The only thing I know about Ethan Hawke is that his name shows up in crossword puzzles. But the bizarre production sounds like a modern opera travesty. Marriage of Figaro set in a Trump tower w/ the mezzo in an ice hockey costume, for example. (This was actually done.)

The Gutherie theatre opened the year I graduated from college. The opening play, as I recall, was Hamlet. George Grizzard delivered the siloloquy in a maroon smoking jacket.

Even wilder was the Julius Caesar set in S. America. One of the characters made his entrance in a headress and a jockstrap covered w/ feathers.

Oh yes, a coloratura sings ornate music; lots of runs and trills, etc. Nowadays the term refers to a soprano like Joan Sutherland, Roberta Peters, Lily Pons, Jenny Lind, Luisa Tetrazzini (after whom chicken tetrazzini is named) or Nellie Melba (after whom both peach melba and melba toast are named).

Kellyann, nice to have a new member.

Think I'll go look for a snack. For some reason I feel peckish.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Guthrie must like innovative Shakespeare productions. I took a large group of summer school students to a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream there in 1990. Oberon and Titania were dressed in black leather. Oberon was played by the African-American actor from the movie, Brother from Another Planet. At the beginning, he rode a Harley out on stage. It was well-done, but I've always found adaptations of Shakespeare to different times and places gimmicky.

Thanks for filling me in on what a coloratura is. Didn't know that about Tettrazini and Melba.

Reading a book that you might like: Easy to Remember: the Great American Songwriters and their Songs, by William Zinsser.
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

One Mississippi sounds pretty good. Plus, there's no hold list at the library. So I'll cast my vote for it this month.
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm just a bit too foggy to look these books up so will be happy to go with whatever is chosen.

10. bct

bct Active Member

I guess I'm not really in the book club. I HAVE ordered the new Sacks book to be sent me from the library. I've read a few things by him, and this series of essays sounds pretty interesting ---- you know, the brain and all that.

I haven't been posting much lately -- zoned out on Lyrica and tramadol and valium. Getting over bad sciatica and negative feelings from my neurologist. Feeling a lot better now that I can walk upright again!

Regards to all you readers,
  11. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

You can consider yourself in the club!! You don't have to post often. We still want you as a member!!!

12. rockgor

Always good to hear from you. Sorry your sciatica is acting up.

On your recommendation I tried a book by Joanna Trollope. Forgot which one; didn't like it tho. Forgot why. Haha. Have never read anything by her famous ancestor Anthony of madelin fame.

Was going to look for a Barbara Pym book, but I forgot. Any particular book to start with?

Say Hi to Richard. In a few days, with the new year, Gordon & I will start our 27th year together.

As the Norskies say, God Jul og Godt Nyttar!

13. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

27 years together! Congratulations!

My hubby and I just celebrated our 27th anniversary on Wednesday.

14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

27 years - wow - thats brilliant. How lovely!!!

15. bct

bct Active Member

Hey Rocky, sorry you didn't like the Trollope. As for Pym they are all the same --- nothing much ever happens --- gentle, mellow, no blood, no crime, no sex, no excitement. Just what I need!

Richard and I have you and Gordon beat! We celebrated our 38th on Thanksgiving. Alas, no cards :) Anyways, congrats to the both of you!

Well, I'm off to read now; it's cold, grey, and a wee bit drear (or maybe it's just me). Feeling sad because I just threw away a dying orchid that I forgot about and had banished to a corner that was too cold for it. Damn!

Good reading to EVERYONE else.

16. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

What an inspiration!!! 38 Years!
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

on your anniversaries.
  18. rockgor

or thanks Ken, Dar, Rosie, Barry. Someday I should post something w/ all the errors and omissions intact.

Do you have lots of orchids, Barry? Gordon has hundreds. He grows ones suitable for the LA climate so he doesn't need a greenhouse. He belongs to 2 or 3 orchid clubs.

The biggest orchid show was held for years at the Otani Hotel in Little Tokyo. A couple years ago it got moved to the Hartford library s. of Pasadena. Attendance is greatly reduced. Possibly has something to do w/ the admission price going from free to $15.

Instead of a hundred plus vendors they now have 15. Nobody seems to know what brought about this unfortunate decision.

If you like peaceful books, have you tried Miss Read or Philip gulley? Congrats too, to you and Richard.

19. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

congratulations to you and Richard too.

Not many couples make it to 38 or 27 years. I wonder what the average is these days - 4 years????

20. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I just got the book "Angelica" in the mail today! I can hardly wait to start on it! But I have to finish what I'm reading first. I'm reading the newest Dean Koontz novel, called "The Darkest Evening of the Year", which is about a woman who rescues golden retriever dogs. It is a thriller and it has been a fun book to read. I misplaced it last night so I picked up another book and started on it. It's called "Icarus" by Russell Andrews. Has anyone ever heard of him? He's also written a book called "Gideon." Well the Icarus book is a super fast thriller that really hooks you.
    I love books like that that keep you up late, unable to put the book down, haha! In the first part of the story, the guy is ten years old and some nut comes into where his mother is about to get off work and pitches her out of a high-rise window, right in front of him. Then twenty years later he gets all shot up trying to protect his wife from getting hurt by a guy holding a gun with a stocking coving his head. Thats as far as I got so far! I like this guy's writting style though!

Well Happy Reading My Friends!