Book Club: Please vote on July book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Select one of the following. Let's close the voting on Wednesday night, as tomorrow is July already. Before you vote, you might check your library's availability.

The Stone Diaries, Carol Shields
    The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold
    Big Russ and Me, Tim Russert
    The Bird in the Tree, Elizabeth Goudge
    Sidney Poitier, The Measure of a Man
    Dropped Threads, ed. Carol Shields
    Wordstruck, Robert Macneil
    Nobody, Nowhere, Donna Williams
    Year of Wonders, a Novel of the Plague, Geraldine Brooks

See Amazon or the previous post for descriptions. New members always welcome.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't know any of these authors.

Ok, I'm taking a chance on loving Nobody, Nowhere and/or Stone Diaries.

I went to the Goodwill today. They've gotten rid of most of their books. Went kitty korner to St. Vincent DePaul and got half a dozen paperbacks. The price is up to 99 cents now, but I get the sr. ct. discount.

As far as I could tell there were no French people in the store. Did hear a lot of Spanish tho.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I will vote for NOBODY, NOWHERE, too, because it looks fascinating, the library has it, and there's no wait.

Rock: anything good in your new paperbacks? Up to 99 cents? What did the price used to be? Did you expect to hear French spoken because the sale was at St. Vincent's?

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

you got it. St Vincent de Paul was a 17th century French Saint.

Well, ya know, it seems to me it was only a year or two that paperbacks sold for 39 or 49 cents at the thrift shops. Ever 6 months or so the price went up ten or twenty cents. Good thing we are assured by you know who that there is no inflation.

St. De Paul should not be confused w/ the 20th century composer Gene de Paul who wrote the music for 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and Li'L Abner.

Illustrating that everything is life is connected, Johnny Mercer wrote the music for those two shows, and I am reading his biography right now.

Johnny Mercer probably wrote the lyrics for more hit songs than anyone except Irving Berlin. Sad to say, mercer's biographer admires him, but admits he was a nasty drunk.

I found a book yesterday by Ann Patchett; you remember, the daughter of Jeane Ray who wrote Eat Cake. Sorry to say, I do not like the way she writes. I also don't like books where every character has an exotic name, e.g. Parsifal. If this doesn't get a lot better in a hurry it's going back to the thrift shop.

Write about more books later. Took my car to the garage this morning. Time for a nap.

Did you see the post about Sebastian, Florida? Some discussion there of towns in MN and IA.
  5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Nobody Nowhere;

After looking up the book on Amazon, i'm game to try it.

Autism has been a recent post on here, i have a friend with an austistic son, and two son of my own with ADHD, and ADD.

It may be very insightful.
  6. Didoe

Didoe New Member

i didnt want my life story to be the book of the week...but what the heck, majority vote is for nobody, nowhere

Is there a start/end date to finish?
    If there is a set of rules (hate that work, but you know what I mean) just point me there to read those first.

Ken thanks for taking new readers..if you think its easy finding nice humans reading and talking, its an anomoly,
  7. springwater

springwater Active Member

Nice to see you here on Chit Chat.

I dont know any of the books, not available where i am but enjoy reading the discussions anyway.

God Bless