Book club: Please vote on July's book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jun 26, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hello, Bookophiles.

Please vote on one of the following for July (it's hard to know when people are suggesting titles or just reporting what they've read, so I'm throwing all of these in the vote):

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco
    Teacher Man, Frank McCourt
    Is Heathcliff a Murderer? John Sutherland
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Barbara Kingsolver (this may be better for August, because there's a long wait on the hold list at the library)
    Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons, Lorna Landvik is a good place to read descriptions.

New members always welcome. Let's close the voting on Thursday night.

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2007]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Teacher Man! in honor of Ken Holmes!
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Teacher Man for me too.

I nominated Was Heathcliffe a Murderer and will read it sometime but its not really a story and I do like stories.

4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Well now you have me feeling all warm inside.
    You just made my day.

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2007]
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I found out that Lorna Landvik is from Minneapolis. That surname doesn't look Norwegian or German to me, but maybe it's the short form of Viking.

(We had some people named Vikrey in my home town.)

My computer is so difficult to work with I can't really do much research on these books. Would take all day. (Sometimes the darn thing takes five minutes just to open an e mail.)

I know I can't read the Umberto Eco book cause I tried a long time ago. (There was, however, a good tenor named Umberto Borso half a century ago. I am waiting for a CD of him in "Manon Lescaut" by Puccini.)

So, all things considered, (is it really possible to consider all things?) I vote for Umberto Landvik.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So you're voting for Lorna Eco, eh?

I'll mark that down for a vote for Angry (not desperate) Housewives. With a name like Lorna Landvik, she'd have to be from Minneapolis.

I haven't attempted The Name of the Rose, though I thought Sean Connery was good in the film.

8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hey, how about Water for Elephants?? I just got it from the library. ;>)

At the rate I'm getting the selected books, I'll abstain from voting. Thanks for reminding me that I want to reserve the Kingsolver book. I wonder if it has enough of a story to it to be of interest to the Club or isn't that relevant?