Book Club: Please vote on June's book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 24, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here are the nominations:

Monkeywrench, by PJ Tracey
    Rococo, Adriana Trigiani
    Kitchen Privileges: A Memoir, by Mary Higgins Clark
    Pooh's Workout Book, by Ethan Mordden
    Drowning Ruth, Christina Schwarz
    The Husband, Dean Koontz
    Back Roads, Tawni O'Dell

Some good choices here. See for descriptions and reviews.

Let's close the voting on Saturday night. On Saturday, I'll also post a discussion thread about Water For Elephants, our May book.

Anyone who wants to join us is always welcome!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Dorothy Parker, I vote for Pooh.

Other book news: Just started a thriller by Jefferson Bass.
    The author is actually two men. One is a reporter. The other is the real forensic anthropologist who started the body farm at the U. of Tennessee.

3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

#1 Rococo
    #2 Pooh

Gosh they all sound good!!
  4. pat460

pat460 New Member

Drowning Ruth as my first choice. Sounds like an excellent thought-provoking novel for discussion and an entertaining read.

I've already ordered The Husband so I plan on reading it anyway but, it would be my second choice. You can never go wrong with Mr. Koontz!

Sorry Rock, I don't think I can handle Pooh. Too much bear for me!

Some good choices for June's book!

[This Message was Edited on 05/27/2007]
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Rococo Andriani Trigiani

Read Lucia Lucia and loved it.

6. rockgor

I have no problem w/ your choices. When one is in a Pooh mood, it is relatively easy to be calm and serene. In fact, there's a book w/ a name like the Tao of Pooh. I think the author was Benjamin Hoff.

I couldn't help but think as I read the book, BUT Pooh doesn't have to earn a living, deal w/ illness, pay taxes, put up w/ telemarketers, grow old, etc. Of course he's serene!!!

Read your profile. I used to have a black and white cat. Named her Oreo. (Can't tell what your pet is.)

Sing Ho! for all the wonderful books in the world.

7. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

"Kitchen Privileges"

Guilty of being a picky reader...

8. bct

bct Active Member

is the one I'd like to read. Unfortunately, even from Amazon used, it seems a bit expensive - and it seemed they hadn't many copies. My library doesn't have it.

I've read all of Mordden's fiction, and enjoyed it a great deal. I haven't read any of his Broadway, Opera, or Musical books though.

9. rockgor

I bought the Pooh book for ten cents at the library. Were you allowed to give me your address, I'd send it to you.

I think Morrden has a book of funny opera stories. Might be enjoyable even to a non-opera lover. He's one of those writers who can turn almost anything into an entertaining anecdote.

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

We could use a few more votes. Let's extend the voting through tomorrow (Sunday) night.
  11. pat460

pat460 New Member

If your Pooh is chosen I will read it just to see if I can achieve a zen like state. Sure could use a calming effect about now.

My Oreo is an overweight pooch. She looks like a chihuahua but, is actually a mixed up mutt someone decided to call a feist so they could sell them. She's very smart and sweet though. Apparently she thinks she is human and I'm often inclined to agree. I recently acquired a very hyper, very naughty, and very very hairy little pooch named Mia. Oreo has tried to teach her the rules around this joint but, you know how stuck-up those expensive little breeds can be. Me thinks a little snip snip is in order--it has a calming effect on pooches you know. Think I'll try some Pooh for myself instead!