Book Club: Please vote on May book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 29, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Here are our choices for May. Please choose one. For descriptions, check the previous nomination post or check them out on

The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
    The Best of MGM, The Golden Years: 1928-1959
    Martin Eden, Jack London
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards
    Between, Georgia, Joshilyn Jackson
    West With the Night, Beryl Markham
    Eat Cake, Jeanne Ray
    The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama

You guys are great! Wonderful suggestions this time around. I'm putting almost all of these on hold at the library. And hey, I finished War and Peace finally. It took me 40 days, and am I ever glad to be done with it. It was actually an extraordinary book, though, and I'm glad to have read it.

[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2008]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

that is some accomplishment, finishing War & Peace.

I fancy The Memory Keepers Daughter though like you think I will see which of these my library has, a great selection this month.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Now that you've read War and Peace, do you think it will be a hit?

The Met did the opera War and Peace for the first time last year. As bad as Wagner; takes over 4 hours. Hundreds of people on stage, plus animals.

Well, you could be pretty sure there would be animals as it's the same composer as Peter and the Wolf.

That title "Between Georgia" irritated me. You can't have "between" w/o listing two things. Then I looked it up and found out it's "Between, Georgia", a hamlet in a Southern state. This teaches us that education can sometimes be a good thing.

During one of my stays in a mental health ward, I met a patient from Gunflint, Tennessee. Just tried to look it up. Couldn't find it. But found lots of entries regarding the Gunflint Trail.

Also found a lake in MN named Gunflint. You ever hear of that?

Are you going to vote or just ramble on and on?

Well, actually, I hadn't thought about it.

Never heard that UCLA joke, Annie. I will incorporate it into my joke repertoire.

I would vote for the MGM book, but I already read it, so I vote for Eat Cake.

Happy Trails, All

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just because it is so funny and will bring smiles and is short and easy to read, I have to vote Eat Cake also-need something lighthearted and this one is.

Love Annie
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I said I wasn't going to read May's book - except I may already have it from the library and have ordered Rock's MGM pick. I got Eat Cake on Annie's recommendation but suspect I've already read it. If this is the case I'll be ahead of everyone but only if it's the book of the month.

Ken, you must have had a remission if you read War and Peace from "civver to civver"! I have trouble holding up a book that big, let alone reading it. Congrats to you.

Is there a club somewhere of War and Peace readers? Members of our government have obviously only read the first part of the book.

6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

1st choice Eat Cake

2nd choice The best of MGM
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Are what used to be small terraced homes for the poor, but they were gentrified into small apartments and fancied up and are now called The Mews. Sometimes they even build little clusters of housing now called The Mews.

Semi if what you would call a side by side duplex here only you only own one side of it

Lorry truck

biscuits cookies

bangers sausages or an old car

titfer hat

gormless clueless and looking it

up the pole mad

round the bend mad

don't get your knickers in a twist don't lose your cool

To name but a few.

Love Annie
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It's May already!

Let's close the voting tomorrow night.

Annie, I liked those.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

produced Eat Cake very quickly. I am half way thru. There has been no humor yet, but it's an interesting family drama.

The narrator's obsession w/ cake is starting to get tedious. I'm going to skip over such passages from now on.

Gordon got a library book called "Hollywood Divas". The cover features a photo of a reel of film.

Some of the subjects, however, have never been in a movie. Or they've been in one or two. People like: Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Roseanne Barr, Joan Rivers, Brett Butler.

What has happened to integrity in publishing? Bad as those publishers who try to disguise their books of short stories to make you think you're buying a novel.

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It is called Eat cake for that reason!!! You are cute.

I thought just the drama itself was funny just visualising the whole scenes. Don't want to say too much, but the husband appeared very funny to me, just due to the predicament.

Maybe women see it differently...... hope you enjoy the rest of it and Gordon makes the cakes at the end.

Love Annie

a few more UK sayings:

Gawd lummy charlie (curse words) all fur coat and no knickers (mutton dressed as lamb)
    gobsmacked (shocked) wicked (good) gutted (really sad)
    perished to death (very very cold)hanging (awful)
    butty (sandwich) ecky thump (goodness me)crackers (mad)
  11. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I've always loved 'gobsmacked'.
    I also always thought mews were stables!

I vote the Book Thief

Ken, you inspire me - I had a hard time with the thing back when I was whole. Maybe I'll have a go now and see if I do better ;-)
  12. findmind

findmind New Member

I haven't joined in here, don't know why...

Just read the most relevant and disturbing of my 8 books a month....

Nineteen Minutes, author Picoult.

Had me on pins and needles the whole 500 pages...everyone with a kid or kid next door should read it!

13. bct

bct Active Member

Eat Cake. My library branch will get it in next week. Just hope I can get to the **** library to pick it up; I have to plan my town trip carefully to coincide with the libs. limited hours due to slashed budgets at every county level. What a country!

Well, I'm starting to feel grouchy -- can you tell?-- so I'll sign off now and fume for a bit while I eat my Weetabix.