Book Club: Please vote on May's book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 30, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Tomorrow is May Day! I'm throwing in all of the titles that people suggested. Let's end the voting on Wednesday night.

Feel free to vote for your first and second choice. Quite a diversity of titles here!

The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
    Freakonomics, Stephen Levitt
    The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama
    Water For Elephants, Sarah Gruen
    Good Omens, Terry Prachett, Neil Gaiman
    Devils Knot, Mara Leveritt
    The Dirt, Motley Crue
    Tommyland, Tommy Lee
    Hannibal Rising, Thomas Harris

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Freakonomics. A great book. I always like people who present things in a new way, w/ a different interpretation, etc.

I actually know somebody who knew the author. Come to think of it, it was Ken. Haha

I read Hannibal rising. Didn't seem to have much to do w/ the monster of the later books. Supposed to be another book out pretty soon. They should get Kane Hodder to play the lead in the next film.

He's the guy who wore the hockey mask in all those Friday the 13th thrillers. He's in the wax museum in Orange County. Well, not the man himself.

Used to be an old fun house in Long Beach w/ a mummy in it. About 30 years ago a film was being shot there. It was discovered that the mummy was real. Some research indicated it was the body of a bank robber/cattle rustler from the turn of the last century.

You don't see that kind of stuff on those tv "reality" shows.

Hey! I just got my copy of The Shape Shifter. Oh well, better than the best.

That was the motto of the local bakery when I was a kid. It drove my mother batty. "It can't be better than the best."

Some of those books look like they about rockers. Not interested in them or a Muslim politician.

3. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Water for Elephants,

I'm going to read this book anyways, and it's different from what i would normally read.
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri. I read Interperter of Maladies and loved it. She's so talented! And I've really been looking forward to reading her latest book.

My second choice is Freakonomics. A lot of people (not only on the board) seem to be recommending it.
  5. pat460

pat460 New Member

also goes to Water For Elephants but, it was a difficult choice!

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rockgor's right. I went to high school with Stephen Levitt, author of FREAKONOMICS. We were friends and used to play golf together. I haven't heard from him in about 25 years, though.
    Rock: That was a great story about the Long Beach Mummy.

Mezombie: I love the stories in INTERPRETER OF MALADIES. When I taught that book, my students' opinions were mixed; about half loved Lahiri's stories, and about half hated them. I found them subtle and beautifully written. I plan on reading THE NAMESAKE, whether it gets chosen or not.

But for my vote for May, I'll vote for WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (it got stellar reviews on Amazon) and for FREAKONOMICS as a backup, since there are some very intriguing ideas in it.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2007]
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I vote for Water for Elephants. It sounds like a terrific book. I think I'll read it even if it doens't get picked.

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I now vote for "Waiter, Your Celery's Bent". I mean "Water for Elephants".

But seriously friends, and I know you are my friends...

I again suggest we select older books that are available at the library. The Los Angeles library has 64 copies of Water for Elephants and every one is currently checked out.

No chance at all that it will be available during May.

Illustrating again how goofy the library's new computer system is, the book does not show up if you search by the author's name. You have to look for the title.

They had a perfectly good system for years. I suppose somebody's relative got the job of "updating" the system and was paid big bucks.