Book club: Please vote on our April book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rather than reading a novel, we're reading a play this month. Here are our choices. They are all classic American plays, well worth reading (and watching, if you ever get a chance to see them on stage or in a film adaptation). Our recommendations come from Rockgor and Anne Cromwell.

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (1930s)

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams (1940s)

Picnic by William Inge (1950s)

Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (1940s)

My vote is for Picnic because I've never read it before.

New members always welcome.

[This Message was Edited on 03/27/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I vote for all of them. Which is to say, they are all agreeable to me.

I've seen/read/listened to all of them. I think I've seen 3 versions of Our Town and four of Glass Menagerie. Have recordings of both.

The movie Our Town was made shortly after the play opened. In true Hollywood style a happy ending was substituted.

Also, as was often the case in those days, a radio broadcast w/ most of the movie cast was done. (That was about the time I was born.) Somewhere in a box I have a copy.

Picnic I saw live. The stage production was as good as the excellent movie w/ Rosalind Russell,Kim Novack, William Holden, That was in my impressional teen years.

Death of a Salesman I only saw once (the movie). I think I read Dustin Hoffman did it on stage a couple decades back.

Gotta give old Dustin credit. W/o movie star looks he became a star and has been in many significant/popular movies. The Graduate, Tootsie, etc.

Ain't show biz fun?! One can just ramble along forever.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'll go for Picnic too - here's a wee bit I found about it.

Because he was writing about subjects with which he was familiar, Inge's plays deliver an authentic tone. The role of alcohol and sexual impropriety is a common theme in his work, which serves as a contrast to the American Dream image so familiar to 1950s audiences—that of white picket fences surrounding perfect people leading perfect lives. The women in Picnic are all looking for a way to escape the boredom and loneliness of their lives, and the men of the play are confused and unsure of what they want.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

sounds good I have not read it but think I saw (the film?)

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sounds like the play is no picnic. Get it? No picnic? Bwaaaaahaaaa.

I'm feeling goofy this afternoon. Must be time for my nap.
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Picnic sounds good to me too!!

Ken I had a four hour nap today!! I'm worn out from the flight yesterday! Hope you get a good nap too!

7. rockgor

Have you been taking silly pills?

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

PICNIC it is, by William Inge! Sounds appropriate for April.

9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Didn't you see my vote up there!! Sheesh!!

10. rockgor

tried twice to put in on hold. The LA library computer system is sicker than we are.

I want to check out some of Inge's other plays. I read Bus Stop a few years ago, and saw two others that were made into movies: the Dark at the Top of the Stairs and Come Back, Little Sheba.

The latter starred Shirley Booth. It was her first movie, she was in her 60s, and she won an Oscar.

Plays are quick to read. They're usually less than a 100 pages.

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You can actually read PICNIC online, if you're so inclined. I can't stand reading books online myself, but PICNIC would be short enough to be feasible.

If the link doesn't work, just do a search at Google Books.

I saw BUS STOP (the film) years ago and loved it.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2008]