Book club: Please vote on our June book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 31, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry it took me so long to post this. Here is is the last day of May and I finally got around to it. I'd like to be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

You might check your library availability before voting. It's hard to know what people are recommending or just reading. Let me know if I missed anything. Lots of good titles here, as usual. Book Clubbers and newbies, you are fantastic.

The Children's Blizzard, David Laskin
    I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith
    Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt
    The Pact, Jodie Picoult
    Practically perfect in every way: My Misadventures through the world of Self-Help Books and Back, Jennifer Niesslein
    The Secret History, Donna Tartt
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards
    Year of Wonders, a Novel of the Plague, Geraldine Brooks
    The Whistling Season, Ivan Doig

Let's end the voting on Monday night.

[This Message was Edited on 05/31/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I vote for I've a Dog. Always like stories about Lassie, White Fang, Benji, etc.

Just read an early play by Tennessee Williams called Stairs to the Roof. Produced in 1945 when he was 34.

It is really a terrible play. The last act calls for special effects you could only get in a movie. Several scenes are a page or less long.

The theme of the play is the eternal struggle between security and adventure/romance. Robert Ardrey said people require three things: identity, security and stimulation.

The main female character is named Girl. How would you like to be an actress w/ that on your resume? It would you like you had a non-speaking part.

Three years later Williams was rich, famous and the winner of a Pulitzer Prize.

This teaches us that:

Ya just never know.
    Life is sure funny.
    Well, whodda thought?

The choice is yours.

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As I loved the early books about the settlers, "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" being a fave of mone-and as this book is meant to be on the same style, then I vote for this one.

PS Rock I am so glad the D3 is working for you, and glad Marta told you of it. I nag everyone I see or chat to here to take 1000 at least D3 a day.
    Love Annie
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

And I'll have to vote for the new Ivan Doig book, THE WHISTLING SEASON, too. Good reviews on Amazon. It's about prairie settlers in eastern Montana. Someone even posted a comment, "Good Reading Group Book!"

Annie, you're right about DANCING AT THE RASCAL FAIR. It's one of my favorite books. When he's good, Doig is one of the best writers in the West. And what's this about D3?

For those who haven't read it, DANCING AT THE RASCAL FAIR is an epic about Scottish immigrants who settle in the mountains of Montana, and it's an awesome story. I also liked Ivan Doig's book, THE SEA RUNNERS, about Russian sailors along the Alaskan coast.

I do plan to read THE CHILDREN'S BLIZZARD this month, too.

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2008]
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I hope you join us! Grain of salt gladly accepted.

I like the picture in your profile, btw. That's beautiful.

6. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Well, since I nominated The Whistling Season I better choose something else - so as not to show favoritism ya know ;-)

I pick Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks

Well, I finished the YA-YA book, then read Plainsong by Kent Haruf.
    The 2 old rancher guys talked just like the old farmers around where I grew up; I could just hear them talking in my mind. Took me straight back to childhood and gave me that bittersweet feeling you get when you know it's something you'll likely never hear again but was so everyday then. I'm sounding old, ain't I?

7. springwater

springwater Active Member

I saw the movie version. I found it sad and soul touching like most coming of age stories gets such a feel of Ireland and the hardships suffered there during those times...Franks dad reminded me of my father was also a good man but the demons of drink destroyed when they took over...he behaved vey similarly to ranks dad

I liked the ending....i love happy endings

Daughter brought home the book and liked it...but i couldnt get myself to read it.

God Bless
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How neat that you noticed the waterfall and took a fine picture of it. The picture in my profile is of Plitvice National Park in Croatia. It looks like beautiful. I used to do this "Where in the World was this picture taken?" game on here, and that was probably the last one I posted.
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Unfortunately, we lost Mollystwin and Twinofdar, and Rosiebud is off the computer for a while, dealing with family problems.

Now would be a great time for new members to join us!

10. springwater

springwater Active Member

i knew molly and dar were off the best wishes to rosiebud for dealing with her family stuff....hope they all come back soon

God Bless
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

you new comers, semi-newcomers, beach combers, and comb-overs.

Jean, you want to be careful about jumping to conclusions. Some people have taken up bungee jumping and jumped to their final conclusion. A case of learning, but not living.

Speaking of Angela's Ashes, did you see the news yesterday? The inventor of Pringles died, was cremated, and inurned in one of his cans.

News like this should be taken w/ at least a grain of salt.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Diane: Welcome!! Glad you're joining us.

Jean: I wonder if I can see those Toronto Star pictures online. You know, there are beautiful, lush waterfalls in the mountains of New Mexico, but none near Albuquerque, and none like at Plitvice!

13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

you may really enjoy Elizabeth Berg books. They are easy to read and usually have a background theme of nursing. Chris Bohjalian has also written a few good books. I do love Carol Shields too.

The waterfall is lovely. I miss Ithaca and all the gorgesand waterfalls. Our neighbor coined the phrase "Ithaca is Gorges" he just died he had alzheimers.

People think New York is all city they often have no idea how stunningly lovely it is.

Love Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/08/2008]