Book Club: please vote on our March book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Feb 18, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for all your good suggestions! Lots of good options for next month.

Please pick one of the following for March.

Eat, Pray, and Love, Elizabeth Gilbert
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
    A Lesson Before Dying, Ernest Gaines
    The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison
    A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose, Eckhart Tolle (Oprah's latest pick)
    The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini
    Up High in Trees, Klara Brinkman
    The Law of Dreams, Peter Behrens
    The People of the Book, Gwendolyn Brooks
    The Senator's Wife, Sue Miller is a good place to look for book descriptions and reviews. Let's end the voting on Friday, the 23rd.

New members are always welcome. We read the book and then discuss it during the last week of the month. Everybody is welcome, even those too sick to read much at the moment!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I vote for the Kite Runner!

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Kite Runner for me too.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

we have more choices than usual. On the other hand, we have five fingers. Haha. Seems to be a cluster of rather grim and gloomy books. Don't think I want to read any of them.

Don't we have anything for readers like me who deep down are rather shallow?

Didn't we read the Kite Runner before? I know I started it but never got very far.

After some struggles w/ the library computer I finally got the Sue Miller book put on hold. I'll vote for that one.

What's this about Oprah? Seems to me I read some time ago that she gave up picking books.

I am going back to bed to read more of A. A. Milne's masterpiece. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm not fussy about the next book - maybe because I still haven't read the last two. I get a stack of books from the library and dive in. While I try to include a Book Club book seems they're always on back order and I need something NOW.

I do suggest that Eat, Pray, Love might not be the best book for a book club. I liked it but reviewing it would be difficult since it deals with everyone's own personal journey.

Rock, I'm with you about Oprah. First she was, then she wasn't and now she is again. She not only is, but she's holding a class on the Eckard Tolle book on her website. I still think you'd like David Rosenfelt's books. I'm almost positive! Just remember the spelling with the "t" on the end, not a "d". Very different authors. The main character is a New Jersey attorney with a sense of humor so you get some seriousness mixed with laugh-out-loud comments.

As for the others, I'll catch up eventually except for those I don't think I'd like - the depressing ones. I'm with Rock liking less demanding books now. In fact, I'm reading "Where The Heart Is" about the young girl who had a baby in Wal-Mart. It's old but light. I think I saw the video, that's how old it is.

6. rockgor

I read some books by a guy w/ a name like Rosenfeldt. Not sure if it was the same one. I think they were essays. My memory banks are due for an audit.

I also read a book about a girl who lived at Walmart clandestinely and had a baby. Sam himself saw to it that she got free delivery.

I found an old Maeve Binchy book called Silver Wedding that I seem to have missed back in the 80s, so I'm reading that now. Along w/ a thriller and a book on bridge. How to play, not build.

I did some research on Oprah and the book club. Well, actually I was reading Dave Barry's summary of the year 2002. She discontinued the club then.

So she has definitely flip-flopped. If she ever runs for office, her political foes will be sure to mention this.

I bet if Oprah ran for any office in the country she would be elected before the polls even open. And she wouldn't have to raise money either.

Keep on turning those pages, friends...

7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I vote for The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison.

8. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Whew! Some depressing sounding books out there!

The Kite Runner is a fabulous book but I've read it already. A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same author is another incredible book and much less depressing.

I vote for A Lesson Before Dying.

Runners up:

Caged Bird and A New Earth.

9. rockgor

Bombeck's last book: A Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for An Affair.

I looked it up on some web sites. It is implied that this is the story of her marriage to Bill. Of course, since it's Erma, it's funny. But the sense of time dissonance bothers me.

The book begins in 1949. Erma, who was 22 at the time, is talking about things that don't exist in the 40s. Cold capsule, contact paper, My Fair Lady.

At she is using post 1940s language: Ring around the collar commercial, a decorating statement, we have lift off.

And a few years later she is talking about pit bulls and shopping malls.

Even worse Is My Friend Leonard by James Frey which the library has classified as non-fiction. But it feels like a novel.

So I looked the author up on the net. This is the guy who sold millions of his book which Oprah endorsed. Later he was exposed as a liar, or at least a great exaggerator, and scolded by Oprah on her show. (The "Leonard" book is the sequel to the first one, "A Million Little Pieces".)

Makes one wonder: in what can we put our trust these days?

You'll have to answer that yourself. I sure don't know.

10. pasara

pasara New Member

this looks good to me and has gotten good reviews!

it was chosen as one of amazon's significant 7 for january. the reviewer there ends with:

"...A complex love story, thrilling mystery, vivid history lesson, and celebration of the enduring power of ideas, People of the Book will surely be hailed as one of the best of 2008."

sounds like a little something for everyone.
  11. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Rock, I put my trust in chocolate.

Pasara, I think People of the Book sounds intriguing too. It sounds a bit 'heavy' for my brain right now but it's on my list of things I'd like to read sometime!

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm ending the voting today.

Ha ha, Molly. Isn't that the way it always is? :)

13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I had previously said that I was planning on reading An Arsonist's Guide to Writer Homes in New England by Brock Clarke, I attempted said book and am removing it from my bedside table and from my list.

While it might be found clever by some, it was too tongue-in-cheek and idiotic for me.

Also, while I'm critiquing books, one of the more laborious of its genre is Brad Meltzer's The Book of Fate. I'd heard of him so gave it a try but there's a reason the book took him ten years to write. You need a map and it's still confusing. To me.

So, did I miss the selection for the month?

It seems that I should start of thread of books NOT to read although I'm still an avid David Rosenfelt fan.

14. rockgor

one and all. Well, which is it? One or all. I dunno. Take the Zen approach.

I'm w/ you, Foggy. Can't beat chocolate. Although about 40 years ago I bought a Ghiradelli candy bar, and it had little green worms in it.

My mother made wonderful fudge. She was a lousy mother, but made wonderful fudge, divinity and pinoche.

Marta, I looked up David Rosenfelt. Seems to be a different author than the humorist who is lurking in the back of my rapidly-fading mind.

Braved the rain and went to Vorman's book store in Pasadena yesterday. Huge store. Saw many of the books that we have been discussing here.

Ken, I liked your 6-word biography. I sent it and several others to my aunt in Rochester. She has been disabled w/ arthritis and osteoporosis for several years, but still has a cheery spirit and a keen mind. She was a librarian-teacher for many years.

We have been having showers in LA off and on for the last month. They sky is beautiful. Looks like the Mid-west. Blue skies and white clouds. And we also have snow-capped mountains in the distance.

Remember what the librarian says: Shhhhh.

15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Could be you looked up David Rosenfeld who is a very different can of worms than David Rosenfelt. The latter's main character, Andy Carpenter, is a well-heeled attorney with a quick wit. Rosenfelt's website will give you an inkling.

At the library this morning I was pleased to see his books on the shelf. Or wait..... better they shouldn't be just sitting there. Anyway, I'd reserved his last one, Play Dead, which was in today so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

Read on!