Book Club: post on BASKET CASE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just finished reading BASKET CASE yesterday and enjoyed it. Who suggested this one? Rockgor?
    It had me laughing out loud in quite a few places. I had never read any Carl Hiaasen before, but I found this one clever, dark, and funny.

Rarely have I seen all the loose ends tied up quite so neatly in a mystery novel before. Plenty of poetic justice here (i.e. Cleo getting her just deserts because Carla switched the cremation notes in the caskets) Sorry if I gave something away, but you should be done by now! :)

I also liked the book's point about the corporate watering down of newspapers in favor of maximizing profits. I see that happening all over the media: TV, radio, the internet.

I have a confession. Like the journalist, Jack Tagger, I also have a morbid fascination with the ages at which people die, also with where and how they die. Not sure why this is, though. Glad that I'm not the only one.

So what did you think of the book?
    Any characters that you liked? Passages that made you laugh?
    Is there any music that you secretly like but are embarrased to admit it?
    Who would you want writing your obituary, and what would you want it to say (or is that too morbid a question!)

Anyone try to find the song, "Basket Case" on, as noted in the back of the book?

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2007]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

Maybe I'll try to read it, or at least get it on tape. Wonder if Cracker Barrel will have it in their rack? --Lately I've only been listening to books on tape as I like being read to in order to go to sleep lol. Can't seem to concentrate well reading with my eyes for very long.

While I haven't read this one, I have read other Hiaasen books; if you liked this, another one I can highly recommend is 'Skin Tight'.

all the best,

3. llama

llama New Member

Hi Ken and all,

I was the one who suggested it. I've read nearly all his books and have enjoyed them all.

Glad so far a couple people agree. I was afraid it may be too dark/violent??

I'll post again later......Jill..............
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Victoria: I'll have to check out SKIN TIGHT. I'm becoming a Hiaasen fan. Thanks for the tip. Not sure about Cracker Barrel, but I wonder if your library or Amazon would have it on tape.

Jill: So it was you, not Rockgor, who recommended it! I didn't think it was too dark. Humor is a very subjective thing, though. What one person finds funny, another scratches their head at. But I laughed throughout.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Humor is subjective. Just was looking at photoshoped images. Great art from the past given a modern touch, e.g. the Mona Lisa holding an i pod.

So these were funny. But some of them would have resulted in trial and execution in the past (for blasphemy) and might cause outraged screams today.

Carl Hiassen has written several humerous novels. I enjoyed each of them to the last drop. ("And that drop was good too. Say 'Goodnight', Gracie".)

Some of his books are a little more surrealistic. A recurring character is the ex-governor who lives in the swamp like "The Thing".

Carl and Dave Barry are coworkers on the Miami Harold. Must be a fun place to work.

I've already chosen an epitaph: I KNEW this would happen!
    Maybe for my obit: Well, he didn't do much, but he did the best he could.

Speaking of modern newspaper trends, I read a couple years ago you have to PAY to have your obit printed in the paper. Unless, of course, you are a really special person like Anna Nicole Smith or Britney Spears or O. J. Simpson or...

At the moment I'm re-reading some short stories by the Old Master P. G. Woodehouse. If humor can't cure us it can certainly distract us.

I don't know any reason for someone to be embarrassed by the music he/she likes. Say you like "Twinkle, Tinkle, Little Star."

Ok, not the most sophisticated music. But Mozart wrote variations on it and Beverly Sills et. al., recorded it.

I like Grand Opera, Grand Ole Opry, folk, Broadway, movie music, Americana, celtic, etc. I will never be bored in retirement as long as I can read and listen.

Thanks for suggesting Carl, Jill.

Happy Trails

6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Because of my vacation and then feeling like total crap after, I haven't had a chance to even read the book! But I know Molly has and she liked it, so she's going to give me her copy to read this weekend.

I'll be sure to read next month's book!!
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Dar: I'm glad you had a good trip to Florida, but I hope you haven't had to pay for it too much! After a trip to Florida, this book might be just the thing.

Rock: Great points, as always. I like your epitaph and obituary, too. What would we do without books and music?

8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I bought the book, second hand off EBay, but so much happening right now that I havent been able to read it, will catch up though, sounds good.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wasn't the frozen lizard scene hilarious?

Jack Tagger does seem a bit like House; good observation. He's a bit hardened and cynical, but very smart.

Be careful about dropping books on your head when you're falling asleep, though! Especially if it's hardbound.
    Funny, my wife does this as well.