Book Club: "Queen of the Road" discussion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 29, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just finished reading it this morning. I enjoyed Doreen Orion's (great name) tales of her trip around the country with her psychiatrist husband, in their bus. It was the kind of trip I'd love to take. And if I can't do it now, I'll enjoy her vicariously. Being disabled hasn't lessened my love of travel writing any. Didn't like her book as much as Bill Bryson's, say, but I found her tales endearing and funny. I've also learned more about psychiatrists this month, through her book and also watching the show "In Treatment" on HBO.

Even though Rock thinks my questions are better than the ones in the back of the book (thanks, Rock), I'm going to take the easy route and pick out a few that I found in the back of my copy. Sure makes my job easier. Choose as many or as few of these as you want. Even if you didn't read it, feel free to join in.

How would it be to spend 24/7 with your significant other for a year?

Have you gone on any epic road trips? Where did you go?

Doreen said she would "never ever, Ever live on a bus." She said the same thing about going to a nudist RV park. Are there things you thought you'd never do in life but ended up doing anyway? How did they work?

Are there any "things" you couldn't live without?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wait don't answer that. I took the book "Home To Harmony" while visiting my sister plus this month's book and left them there, however there is always the possibility that she stole them. Hmmm.

I am really trying to participate in these conversation with a bit of background knowledge other than the reviews. I really plan to.

"Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of my life."

Thank goodness for no rules!!!!

Here's a bump.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

And along came Huckle. The best way to get attention is to try and post. Either
    a cat jumps in my lap or Gordon wants to talk. Probably an electro-magnetic

You know, I read Bill Bryson's book a couple years ago. Have only the faintest
    memory of it. I think he visited some spots I've been to.

Didn't you think the questions in the book were presented in a manner somewhat
    strange, Ken? As I recall there were about 6 numbers. But each one had five
    or six questions after it. Who taught these people how to count? Not Sesame

I can't imagine spending all day with someone. And then doing it over and over.
    I wouldn't even want to have a partner I saw all day at work and then came home to,
    or home with.

Maybe it would help to come home, go to separate corners, and de-compress by
    reading or something for a couple hours.

I can't think of anything I've done that I said I'd never do. I've been kinda surprised
    that I've done somethings I never thought about when I was a kid in a village.
    Like Living in a big city: Las Vegas, LA, Twin Cities.

Things I couldn't live without. Well, music. And that means you need a music
    maker. Either an instrument or something that plays. I guess the first machines that
    played were music boxes. Some of them had discs as wide as a beer keg.

I'd hate to be without my CD player. BTW, I have a backup. It cost ten dollars
    and runs on AA batteries. Great for travel. Wonderful sound. I bought it
    at Big Lots, Nee Pic 'N Save.

Oops! Gotta go finish the dishes.

Gap, I hope your sister lives just across the street.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Gap: You are hilarious. Like the quote (a variation on Bogart's Casablanca line?). But you don't get out of it THAT easy. ;) You can still answer the questions even if you did leave your books at your sister's house! As a former teacher, I've heard them all! LOL. So let's see, you live in Miami and your sister lives in Anchorage? Just kidding!

Rock: Thanks. More tomorrow, when I have more energy. Let's see, there are fifteen discussion areas in my copy, each including at least three or more questions. Holy cow, that's a lot of questions!