Book Club Sorry I can't read it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have been trying to read Gilead and am about half through it. I have given up. That almost never happens, I always finish a book, but not this time.

I just haven't gotten into it and find it terribly boring. I usually read every evening for an hour or more. I finally gave up when I realized I would rather keep doing my embroidery than to pick up my book.

I understand the concept because my father died when I was 4 months old and I would have loved to have something to get to know him from, but I just found I had no interest in this man's life and family. It might have helped me if there had been some explaination of what the son he was writing to was like. The few clues I got were just not helpful.

I had to write this now instead of waiting for everyone to review or I would have forgotten!

PS I have the next one on order at the library but the waiting list is long so I might not get it until after the new year.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

there have been a few books on the bookclub that I have given up on, I'm persevering with this one, I like it at times then others not so much. His son is only seven years old so I suppose his character isn't developed yet.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I gave up after the first 50 pages.

Would it have been more interesting if I had read the last 50 pages? Guess we'll never know.

But that's all right. We are not obligated to like any book or author. It's probably a wonderful book for some people, just not for us.

I just got back from the library. I was charged $1 for putting a book on hold and then not picking it up w/in the ten day limit.

I said, I was here yesterday for the book sale. I come in twice a week. It has not been in the bookcase for books on reserve.

So the charge was cancelled. This has happened before.
    They don't seem to understand what I have told them twice. Just because the computer shows the book is in their branch library does not mean the patron has access to the book.

Frequently it is on a cart, behind the desk, etc. because they are "processing" it. Don't know why it takes a Masters in library science to figure this out.

And what is scientific about being a librarian anyway?

I was further cheered up to find my car in the library parking lot had a flat tire. It was onlly 3 blocks so I drove home. I am waiting for the auto club to come and do something.

I am not upset tho. Everyday in this country 3,220 people
    Have a flat tire. Bound to my turn now and then.

Guess I'll see what people posted while I was gone.

NB: flat tire statistic just made up. Couldn't find any actual data on the inter-net.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2007]
  4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I just don't have the concentration to read a book. I'm lucky to read the board now days...

As a newby, I wish I could have made good on my commitment to join the club this month. Hopefully I will feel better next month.

5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you all! I am so glad I'm not alone!

Rock - Hope someone comes by to reinflate your world soon!

Bud - I can relate. Happens to me, too! Boss wanted me to take the test to get my securities license! Yeah, right. It would mean studying some really boring material and it just ain't happening!

6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

A lot of education is required to be a librarian. I was shocked to find that out. My neighbor has the degree and it is a masters degree. I believe she went on for a PHd as well tho I don't think it was required.

I was a bit bummed out to read this post about those not liking the book. I just started and am worried about it. I was hoping it would get better, but now I'm not so sure. I am going to finish no matter what, but I do hope it gets more enjoyable. I know that some people at work liked the book.

The next one does look good!! So we have that to look forward to!!

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

No shame in giving up on a book you don't like, certainly. I've given up on many a book after the first chapter, let alone after the first fifty pages.

Oddly, I am finding this book to be just thing I need right now: slow, lyrical, and meditative: a bit like a winter in Iowa. Or maybe like Garrison Keillor on a sedative (some people think Garrison is already on a sedative).

I am a huge fan of Robinson's first book, HOUSEKEEPING, which also didn't go over very well when Book Club tried to read it about a year ago. I hope some others finish the book as well, so we have something to discuss.
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

It's interesting the different way we all feel about a book. Quite the diverse group we have here!

Hey, Terch, don't feel responsible for those of us who didn't care for it unless you are gonna feel great about those of us who did!

And knowing it won a Pulitzer makes me realize why I didn't like it! I never much care for the Oscar Best Pictures either. Annie Hall? Give me a break!

Rosie posted another thread and is enjoying the book, but had some questions so please check out her thread. I didn't get as far as she has so I couldn't answer.

Hugzz to all, and happy reading!
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I made it to page 51 and I have decided that I like the book!!! Glad I gave it a chance. I think I just needed to get used to the format of the writing and then I was fine.

10. rockgor

Give me a break!

But then, we are all entitled to our own opinions, however misguided they may be.

11. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I'm on page 116. It is a bit slow, but also quite charming at times. The pastor is absolutely is love with his child and wife. I'll be finished with the book very soon. Usually I would have already finished a book that size, but this one was a bit slow starting off.

I think it is a nice book. Not one I would usually choose, but one I am glad that I have read. I think you take something with you out of every book that you read. I think there is a lot of simple goodness in the book. It does my heart good to read it right now!

So yes, I will read the book all the way to the end, and will be talking to ya'll about it then!

12. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I probably would have joined book club except that my attention span this year has been really short.

When I do read a book, I usually start a book in the middle and after awhile, if still interested, go back and read the beginning, then the end. Sort of works for me.

The only book I've (90%) read this year is "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. I saw her on TV speaking at National Press Club.....and sort of fell a bit for her. Anyway, it's an auto-biography and tells an amazing journey, both intellectual, emotional and physical, from Somali to Holland. your mr bill

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2007]
  13. pasara

pasara New Member

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I found it really dull too. I had always heard what a great book this was, as far as critical success, so disappointed. i tend to not like books written in this style of the narrator speaking as if to a particular person.
  14. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm so glad I didn't give up on it. I'm used to the format now and finding that I'm liking the slower pace. Maybe it's because I'm in a flare now and I need some calm reading right now.

15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Didn't like it either, waited til it was out for a few years before watching out as I knew it would be really goooooey, schmalzey and it was.

As if!!!!! The upper class would not have entertained Jack far less fallen in love with him - the chasms between the classes then were huge, still are actually.

16. rockgor

started, Greenbean. Even tho many of us did not care for the book, this has been the most active discussion in this history of the book club.

Rosie, you are absolutely right about the movie and its distortion of the chasm between rich and poor. I didn't think the movie did a very good job of showing how some lifeboats had very few people in them, that the President of the shipping company saved himself and let others drown, etc.

And tossing in a nut w/ a gun just trivialized the tragedy.

If you get a chance listen to the score from the rocketeer by James Horner. Better than The Titanic.

Oh, yes, I put up a post about an earlier book club. People seem to be ignoring same. Oh well....

17. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Glad I could stir things up! I consider it one of the essentials in life!

This really has become an interesting discussion.

18. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I have finished reading Gilead. Although it's not my usual cup of tea, it was okay. I felt sorry for the pastor, since he was so old and never wold get to see his boy grow into a man, or to see his wife age into an old woman. But, that is his lot in life and he should be thankful he found happiness such as it was at the end of his life. I did get tired of reading about how he wished he were younger. I liked how much he adored his son. I found his namesake a truly pitiful character, especially the part where he abandoned his child and she dies. The whole book was quite sad, the pastor didn't seem to know if his sermons had been worth anything or not.

I am about halfway though the book "Middlesex",and I am enjoying it quite a bit! I think it is a good book. I hope you all do too, since it was my suggestion. If not, I understand!

Happy Reading!
  19. kylob

kylob New Member

I would love to be part of the book club...I read quite a bit and enjoy it immensley....what is the next book....Middlesex? Who is the author? I assume we read it one month and discuss it the next....does Oprah ever come !!!!!!!! Kylob
  20. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Yes the next book is Middlesex. We are happy to have you join our club!!!!