Book Club: Suggestions for our February book?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jan 31, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock, Deb, Kelly, Montana Sis, Scottish Rosie: and anyone else who still wants to join us:

Since tomorrow is February already, and we need a few days to pick one, let's start with something relatively short. (and something that won't put Rockgor at #173 on the waiting list at the LA Public Library).

Let's post a few suggestions, and I'll post a voting thread on Monday.

[This Message was Edited on 01/31/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Have been trying to think of a good book to recommend. Currently am reading: Bios of Carol
    Channing and Roger Moore; letters of Noel Coward; Little Lulu and Uncle Scrooge.

It is interesting, to me anyway, that when one reads show biz books, the same characters appear
    over and over again. For example, Carol Channing speaks of Jack Wilson with great enthusiasm.
    Jack was a tall, handsome American. He directed Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend.

He also appears in the Noel Coward book as Noel's friend, lover, and American representative.
    Although Noel tried to ignore the situation, he finally had to sever his connection with
    Jack who was, in addition to the above, an alcoholic and embezzler.

Anyhoo, none of these books strike me as book club material.

I think the books of Philip Gulley might be suitable. He wrote a "Harmony" series about life in
    a village named Harmony. These are similar to the works of Jan Karon, Miss Read, and Fannie
    Flagg. I think the first one in the series was called "Home to Harmony".

Have tried to look it up three times, but the computer is on the warpath. Anyhoo they needn't be
    read in order.

Thanks for the 007 suggestion, Ken.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

When will there be good news - Kate Atkinson - a mystery set in Edinburgh

'Kate Atkinson has produced another unputdownable novel . Slightly darker in tone than ' One Good Turn ' , the story is full of twists and turns and keeps you guessing to the last .'

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

and hello again, Jean. Glad you're joining us.

I'll post our voting thread tonight.

Rock: I see your point about the same characters coming up in showbiz autobios.
    I read Kirk Douglas's and Tony Curtis's a while back, and have Ernest Borgnine's on hold. Douglas and Borgnine are both in their 90s now. A lot of overlap in these actors' lives, it seems, especially before the fragmentation of the studio system. And some overlap with Roger Moore, who was good friends with Tony Curtis.

Not sure why I find these Hollywood bios so interesting.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is a book that is certainly not a Pulitzer but very enjoyable and a change of pace.

It is called And Then They Came To The End. I can not remember the author's name.

It is about a company that is being downsized and how people react. It all takes place in the office. I almost did not read it as I thought it would be to much like the series, The Office but it is quite unique.

It is not too long, and is the author's first book. The writing is, well I guess you would call it first person present tense and there is a reason for that. But I can't tell the ending.

I found myself missing my career and the social connections I made while working when reading this.

It has been a long while since I have read it, okay about six months and I just remember my reaction. As I am typing this I am remembering more. It was kind of poignant. Hard to describe, though.

Just a suggestion for a light read, biting wit and insightful. Kind of like some of the people on this board. But the names have been changed to protect the innocent, LOL!

It is in paperback. The bigger paperbacks. If we do not use it for the book club, it is a good book to cuddle up with on a rainy day. Preferably with a fire in the fireplace.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

THanks!! Wow, I did not remember that there were 387 pages as it did not take that long to read it. Large type?? LOL

It turns out the story is first person plural. I was close.

7. rockgor

When will There be Good News and Then we came to the End on hold.

Judging by the cover, the latter is printed on post-its.

I read the bio of Tony Curtis some years ago, Ken. Don't remember much
    about it. Think his name was Bernie Schwartz or some such.

There was a mural of him visible from the Hollywood freeway for years. About
    3 or 4 stories tall. I think it's been covered up by another building now.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Gap: Since I already posted the voting thread, let's consider Then we came to the End for March. I just put it on hold, too. Thanks!

Rock: Bernie Schwartz sounds right for Tony Curtis. I just read it a few months ago, but don't remember much about it, either! Good books are sort of like good meals; I don't remember them a lot of the time, but that doesn't make me enjoy them any less.

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2009]
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If the book had the post it notes on it, that is the hardcover edition.

You can also get it in paperback, the large kind. Is there a word for this? Somewhere between a hard cover and paperback. Larger paperback?

I don't know if your library would also have the paperback but if you decide to buy the book, it would certainly be cheaper than the hard cover.

10. rockgor

Ken. Good books; good meals. A very apt simile.

Gap, I read somewhere the larger paperbacks are called trade paperbacks. They are of
    better quality and higher price than the mass market paperbacks.

I quit buying any books but used paperbacks after our last move. We gave boxes full
    of hard cover books to the thrift stores. Threw away others that had been gnawed by rats.

Quelle outrage!