Book Club: The Copper Beech and November book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Oct 31, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I know; long time, no hear from me. I've been recovering very slowly from a long, nasty relapse. Doing a bit better, but I get wiped out very easily.

Alas, I couldn't get a copy of The Copper Beech, so I'll leave it up to you, dear Clubbers, to comment on it.

Also, we need a November book. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone is doing well.

And Happy Halloween!

2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Great to see you Ken, take it easy and rest.

I finished this book awhile ago and with all the characters it's kinda hard to remember everything.

Anyone else get confused with the people changes and time changes with each chapter.

It was a good read but not a memorable one. Quaint.

3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Even though Rockgor had mentioned that every chapter was about a different character I forgot that when I started reading. In about the third chapter when they mentioned the young priest, I was thinking, didn't he get move away and then get married???

Then I figured it out!! LOL. I did enjoy the book. It was cool to get the different perspectives from the different characters. I forgot everyones name though because I read it a few weeks ago already and gave the book back to Molly.

You should read it when you have time Ken. Glad you are feeling a bit better. It's good to have you back!!!

4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Ok, Ken, not fair starting two threads! I thought I was seeing double!

This is the first book I've read with the club and it was an author I had not read before.

I’m not a fan of short stories and, although these stories were all about related people, they were still short stories. I miss the character development of a longer more involved book and found the characters rather vague.

I also had problems with the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. I don’t know who reports to whom. Never could figure out if the bishop out ranks the pawn!

Parts of it I found to be quite enjoyable, other parts I just completely disconnected from.

Hate to say that I only finished the book because I had started it. What I mean is I try to always finish any book I start, no matter how I feel about it. I even finished Clan of the Cave Bear, which was horribly boring for the most part.

Still, I'm looking forward to the next book. Broadening my horizons instead of my beam!