Book Club: Time for suggestions for April

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

April is National Poetry month, so we could do a book of poetry (which we've never done before), but anything goes, as usual.

I'll post a voting thread with your title suggestions early next week.

Also, I'll post our discussion thread on Home to Harmony on the 25th. I'm enjoying it, and am about halfway through. Finally got Q & A from the library, as well as The Nineteenth Wife (Rosie!), as well as Reluctant Genius, about Alexander Graham Bell (Jean!). I've been enjoying The Cartoon History of the Universe series, which is surprisingly interesting and fun.

New members always welcome!

[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/20/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2009]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I re-read Porch Talk by Philip Gulley. Book of essays. The first chapter is a pean to the porch and to
    the era in which it flourished. It encouraged relaxation and sociability.

Well, we could all write some poetry. Haha. Some people are just as likely to perform surgery.

Every ten years or so I get one of those anthologies at the library. Best-loved poems of America
    or some such. Find a lot of stuff we read in school. Even some stuff we had to memorize. Do
    you suppose modern kids memorize anything?

We could read Spoon River Anthology. Think it's by Edgar Lee Masters. I read years ago that the
    only two best-selling poets in the USA were Robert Frost and Rod McKuen. Decades later I read
    Edgar Lee Masters had a best seller w/ Spoon River and also with its sequel. (I'd check out these names
    and spellings, but I'm afraid I'll lose my post.) I think Spoon River came out around 1920 or so.

I read Great Operatic Disasters. It's a tiny book, about 70 pages. Probably only funny to opera buffs
    although it is not required that you read it in the buff.

Read some other stuff; mostly thrillers. Started some books, but didn't get very far with them. Am reading
    a P. G. Wodehouse right now; Bertie and Jeeves.

Tried to find the Cartoon History books. No cooperation from the library computer.

I do not want to read anything about the Mormons. I have been to Salt Lake City though and heard the
    M.T. Choir. I have lots of their recordings. Took a tour. Visited one of B. Young's homes. Think it
    was called the beehive house. Someone asked how many wives he had. The guide wouldn't say. Also
    saw a pair of his old breeches in a museum along with the buggy in rode in back in the 1847 trek west.

Gordon read a whole bunch of books; detective stories set in the Middle Ages. The detective is a the
    Abbess of a convent. I forget the name of the author. All those bells ringing and hurrying to prayers
    every other page got on my nerves.

Well, I'd better post this before it vanishes.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Your "Great Operatic Disasters" made me laugh. That sounds like entertaining reading.
    Does that refer to disasters in the narratives or disasters in the performance? I wonder which is worse, for true opera afficianados.

I'll throw Spoon River Anthology a suggestion. Though the last book we read from the 20s didn't go over to well. But it's a classic.

I'm not sure kids are asked to memorize much anymore. What did you have to memorize as a kid?

I'll throw Q&A into the vote, since I got my copy! But might be a long wait for everyone else?

More titles, anyone? Don't be shy!

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I got so into the Cartoon History of the Universe books that I read all three volumes, and then I read the Cartoon History of the United States, and non I'm almost done with the Cartoon History of the Modern World. Feels like I just got an education in world history. Gronick has another volume coming out in October. Funny, I felt the urge to color in them, too.

I'm greatly enjoying Home to Harmony too, much more than I thought I would. His vignettes of small town-life are superb. Will post a thread on that in a day or two.

Meanwhile, any more suggestions, anyone?