book club time to discuss September book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mollystwin, Oct 2, 2007.

1. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm a few days late, but what the heck. What did you guys think of the book "Monkeewrench" AKA "Want to Play?"

It's been a while since I read this book and I read the next two in the series. I enjoyed them all!!

What did you like about the book? What didn't you like?

Or about any book you are currently reading.

I hope Ken is mending. We miss him!!!

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I didn't read the book because my dog Chester ate it. Oh no, that was my homework. Oh yeah, it was because I couldn't get it from the library.

I know. Another flimsy excuse. Actually I think you two are the only ones who read it.

Interesting point about an unpredictable ending, Molly. An author has to walk a fine line, at least w/ a mystery. An ending must be somewhat predictable or it is not plausible. On the other hand, if there isn't an element of surprise, the reader may lose interest.

The endings I hate are the kind you find in Agatha Christie or Murder She Wrote. In the last chapter the dectetive calls everyone together and announces the solution. We are left to wonder how she knew.

Maybe she consulted a Magic 8 Ball.

To be continued.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I failed again, I got the book from the library, tried to read it and just couldn't get into it. I had just finished reading BKL's brain is like mush at the moment...the one where the girl leaves home and ends up adopting an unwanted little girl, lovely story - so maybe going from that to a murder mystery was too much for my brain to handle.

Hopefully I'll do better next time......yes, miss Ken too.

4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, how 'bout that. We were posting simultaneous. You talin' about The Bean Trees?

Don't feel bad. Only yesterday I read somewhere: Somedays you are the peanut and somedays the shell.

I have no idea what this means, but it sounds sort of comforting. Of course many sayings don't make much sense.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Seems to me if you eat it you've got it. No one is likely to take it away from you.

And, of course, many sayings are contradictory. For example,

Many hands make light work, but also
    Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Or, Look before you leap. On the other hand,
    He who hesitates is lost.

Now, then...

Well, which is it? Now or then?

5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Sorry you didn't like this one. I don't always like murder mysteries either. I have to be in a certain mood.

Make sure you vote on next months book. That way maybe we will read a book you like. Do you like Maeve Binchy? It looks like we may be reading one of her books next.

6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

If you get a chance to get this one from the library you should read it. I think you might like it. The characters are fun. I read all three in the series and enjoyed the last one even more than the first.