Book Club: Time to make suggestions for our April book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 29, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

"April is the cruelest month," they say. But not for the Book Club! Please make suggestions for books you think would be especially entertaining, interesting, enlightening, thought-provoking, etc...

On Sunday, I'll post a separate voting thread.

Anyone is welcome to join the Book Club--even non-readers!

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I've spent the last 6 weeks in bed and my friend brought me lots of magazines to read, some of them have suggestions for books.

Anyway I fancy reading this one.

The Prince of West End Avenue by Alan Isler

about a group of elderly Jewish people in a carehome in New York, who want to put on a play but the players all keep dying.....sounds sad and morbid but apparently it's very witty and funny.

3. llama

llama New Member

Hey kholmes,

I've never heard that saying about's one of my favorite months, even picked it to get married in!

Do you know who said it and why??

I'm probably no help in the "suggest a book" area. I lean toward rather wickedly funny books, that may be too dark and/or a little risque'.

I read a lot of Christopher Moore, Tom Robbins and Carl Hiaasen. Just found a new author that fits the bill..Jeffrey Ford (writes short stories).

Actually, what the heck, I'll recommend Ford's "Empire of Ice Cream." It's about 15 short stories, most are fantasy-style.. I really enjoyed it. Most left you rather stunned and deep in thought for awhile.

Take Care......Jill...............
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for your recommendation! We haven't read a collection of short stories so far, so that's a novel idea.

"April is the cruelest month" is the first line of T.S. Eliot's epic modernist poem, "The Wasteland."

You can also listen to T.S. Eliot reading it if you click on the first section here:

Like much of Eliot, the line's meaning has been much debated. I think it's famous for its irony.

April is one of my favorite months too. I chose it to be born in!

Happy (early) anniversary.

Hope you join us, whatever we choose for April.

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very sorry to hear you've been bedridden for six weeks, dear Rosie! I hope you start to feeling better soon. I'm glad you're online and posting recommendations for the Book Club.

You're title sounds darkly funny. Much thanks.

How's the weather in the Glasgow/Edinburgh area?

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Oh, to be in England, now that April's there.

Though April showers,
    May come your way,
    They bring the flowers,
    That bloom in May.

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
    Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
    Here once embattled farmers stood,
    And fired the shot heard round the world.

One gathers from this and that the weather in Scotland is like the people: always dour. But since we now know Paulmack and Rosie, we know that's not true.

Short stories; novel idea. Haha, Ken. I thought we read the Wasteland in school, but when I visited the site you posted I didn't recognize it.

Maybe it was TV we visited. "A vast wasteland".

Love Carl Hiaasen, Jill. Don't know those other folks.

Well, I'm game for anything as long as what we read is entertaining, enlightening, uplifting, heart-warming, educational, novel, encouraging and full of chuckles, tears, drama and pathos.

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Today, Sat, it's asolutely beautiful, sunny and fresh, not cold, not hot. I'm up and in the garden with my kitties, my husband is doing the chores, bless him. Nasty relapse but I'll get there Ken, I'm forever hopeful.

Dour Scots, Rock, a myth, like our meaness.....though some of those people in the Highlands of

Oh, April, we married on April 1st.

I like short stories too.

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

So who is this Carl Hiaasen? I checked out a book called Nature Girl because it looked funny, but had too many other books to read. Didn't he write that?

Why not throw a Carl Hiaasen novel into the vote?

Great poem, Rock. Emerson!

Rosie: Very glad to hear you're up and about in your garden and that the weather in Scotland is fine. Are you close enough to Edinburgh to smell the sea air?

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ken. It was good old RWE himself.

Carl Hiaasen worked for the Miami Harald along w/ his friend Dave Barry. Carl writes comic crime novels. Dave's two novels are very similar.

10. mezombie

mezombie Member

"The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe" (by Jane Wagner) is the book version of Lily Tomlin's one-woman Broadway play. If you know anything about the Tomlin/Wagner collaberations, you know how hysterically funny they can be. Lily Tomlin has her own website if you want to find out more about her and the play. It's her name (one word) dot com.

The play reads like a book of short stories as it is composed of vignettes.

Here's one review: "[The book] is a compendium of pop history, a living anthropological exhibit. That makes it funny, grab-your-sides funny. But it is also a chronicle of the human heart, trying to mend its bruises, and ease its disappointments. And that makes it sublime-- catch-your-breath sublime." (Washington Post)

[This Message was Edited on 04/01/2007]
  11. llama

llama New Member

If there's interest in a Carl Hiaasen book (since I've read nearly all of them) I'd probably have to suggest "Basket Case" or "Native Tongue".

Ultimately, almost all his novels are indictments of the exploitation of Florida's wildlife, Everglades etc. by the huge tourist industry there. You don't have to be a "tree or bunny hugger" to enjoy and root for the good guys!

That's my story...and I'm sticking to!

Take Care.....Jill............

P.S....thanks for the info on the April quote and Happy (early) Birthday to you kholmes ;-)[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2007]
  12. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

lighter, and easy to read?

I just finished a book called "Fairest"
    by, Gail Carson Levine

It was a sweet easy read, of enchantment and fairytail.

"Once upon a time, there was a girl who wanted to nothing more than to be pretty...

In the Kingdom of Ayortha, Aza is definitely not the fairest of them all. Many spurn her. Many scoff her. She keeps out of sight.
    But in a land of singers, Aza has her own gift, one she's come by without fairy intervention; a voice that can do almost anything, a voice that can captivates all who hear it. In Ontio Castle Prince Ijori is drawn to it, and vain Queen Ivi want to use it for her own ends. Queen Ivi would do anything to remain the fairest in the land."

Yes, i still believe in fairy tails and happy ending, this was a fun book.

13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I have no suggestions for our next book although I'm currently reading a nice one called "Eleanor and Abel" by Annette Sanford. Anyone over 50 who likes Fannie Flagg's characters can crank it up a notch or five and enjoy this short book. Seems it may have been made into a movie, I'm not sure. It's about love between a "spinster" and an elderly handyman. Delicious.

Gee, I guess this should have been posted on Rock's thread about books......... Pretend it was. :>)

Happy Birthday, Ken. I'm a Taurus too.