Book Club: Time to vote on April book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's see, our choices are:

1. Q&A, Vikas Swarup
    2. Spoon River Anthology, Edgar Lee Masters
    3. Wordstruck, Robert MacNeil
    4. Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1
    Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own, Doreen Orion.

Check Amazon for descriptions. I've got all of these checked out or on hold at the moment, for once, and no waiting list.

I'll post on Home to Harmony in a day or two. Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Great suggestion, Rockgor.

New members always welcome!
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Just read about Queen of the Road (also the title of a C-W song). On Amazon it got 3 positive
    reviews and one bad one. I'll vote for QotR. (I don't vote for books I've nominated 'cause I've
    already read them.)

I didn't re-read Home to Harmony, but I did read Gulley's latest book. Forgot the title.
    think they all have Harmony in them.

Haven't been back to my hometown for decades. Guess it's pretty much the same except that
    in the mid 70s the Amish started buying up farms in the area. The old depot is now a
    gift shop. The train no longer runs through town. The mournful whistle of the locomotive on
    cold winter nights is a thing of the past.

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Queen of the Road. I can get it from Amazon.

Just reading The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite - about a young girl growing up in pre and post 1st world war Berlin. Written by a Scotswoman, it's a great wee story, well written.

I'm putting it aside to read Home to Harmony - I've held onto it because when I read the books early, I completely forget what I liked and disliked about them plus it seems like the kind of book I wont want to put down so will read it quickly.

4. rockgor

Oh, I'm so confusiated these days. It wasn't Queen of the Road that was a song, It was King
    of the Road by Roger Miller. And Jodie Miller had a hit with Queen of the House which was
    in response to King of the Road.

I saw Roger when I lived in Las Vegas. He introduced me to his mother who was wearing a white
    evening gown.

I think my brain has been hit by a Mack truck. I've spent two days trying to make sense outta
    the books I have checked out, the ones Gordon has checked out, and the ones the library says we
    have checked out. Between the idiotic library computer and the surly guy who works at
    the library (his title is not librarian), it is all too much for me.

Congratulations on being number one, Jean. I am number three. That could mean I'll get the
    book tomorrow or next month. One just never knows.

Nice to hear from you Rosie. Don't see you posting much anymore. You ok?

Ken, my sister in Rochester sent me an article from the Post Bulletin. Maybe you heard from
    your dad. The historic Anderson hotel, built in 1856, has closed. A couple bought it in 2004. Said
    w/ the current economy they couldn't keep it going anymore.

Beautiful old brick building with a glass turret at one corner.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

though I might try to read all four this month.

Jean: Thanks for posting the quote. I found Queen of the Road a few days ago at the library, and thought I'd just throw it in the vote at the last minute.

Rosie: Glad you can get a copy and join us! This book sounds like a fun road trip across the States. I like books like this. Luminous Life of Lily Aphrodite sounds good.

Rock: "King of the Road"--great song; "Trailer for sale or rent, rooms to let fifty cents, no car, no pool, no pets. I ain't got no cigarettes." Your sister lives in Rochester? Very sad about the Anderson Hotel closing. Hadn't heard that. I hope the same fate doesn't await the Archer House in Northfield or the Civil War-era hotel in Wabasha (forgot its name). I like those historic hotels in southeast Minnesota.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2009]
  6. rockgor

I know every engineer on every train, all of their children and all of their names.
    Every handout in every town, and every lock that ain't locked when no one's around, I sing..

Roger Miller was a great composer. Have you heard his Broadway Show "Big River"?
    It's the Huck Finn story. I've seen it twice. Once in Pasadena w/ a cast made up of
    kids from MN, IA, etc. The show won several Tonys. Came out around 1985 I think.
    Last B'dway show I liked. Can't stand Sondheim and Webber.

Oh yeah, my neighbors were in show biz. One of them said Roger Miller could take more
    drugs and still function than anyone else he knew.

When my son was a teenager we visited MN. My uncle took us to an old hotel. I think
    it was in Red Wing. (My ALZ seems to be advancing swiftly these last few weeks.) Anyway
    we went to an old hotel and had a nice brunch and watched the traffic on the Mississippi.

The tow boats were working, only they push the boats instead of towing them. Very

Yup, my sister lives in Rochester. Works for the court system coordinating interpreters.
    My brother is a deputy sheriff in LeRoy. My other brother worked for the Oregon State Park
    System and then the Highway Dept. I was a social worker for Cass and then Hennepin County.
    At one time or another we were all Public Servants. Haha.

Oh yeah again; meant to tell you. Somebody said she missed your Where in the World is This? posts.
    I think it was 4ever kid.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sounds like you have quite the family of Minnesotans and public servants! My sister is a commercial artist in Minnetonka and my best friend an electrician in North St. Paul.

I know the hotel in Red Wing of which you speak. That's a great one, too, just below the bluff with the big "R" on it.

I have heard of "Big River," but didn't know Roger Miller wrote it. I used to teach Huck Finn. I love the first half, and the section on the King and the Duke, but once Tom Sawyer reenters the picture and they "enslave" Jim, when Jim is legally free, the book loses its charm.

My uncle and aunt in Pasadena see a lot of music and theater there. They also attend a Unitarian Universalist church in Pasadena.

Having had CFS for so long, I'm always amazed by what people can put in their bodies and still function. How is it that Keith Richards is still walking, while I'm so sick?

Who is your favorite American composer/songwriter? The Gershwins would have to rank pretty high on my list among the "American Songbook." In rock music, I'm amazed at how many great songs our fellow Minnesotan, Bob Dylan has written, but for some reason, I always seem to like them a little better when they're covered by somebody else.

Thanks for passing on 4everkid's comment. I'll have to post another "Where in the World" game.

[This Message was Edited on 03/26/2009]
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

~~Old stogies i have found short but not to big around ,,I'm ah Man of means by no means ,,,King of the road,,old box car midnight train destination Bangor Maine,,,old worn out suit and shoes,,I don't pay no Union dues!,,,,,,Good ole Roger Miller!,,,,,Have to go and look up the whole song!,,,,,,Brings back memories!,,,,,,Sis
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I can hear you singing "King of the Road" with us!

Look what I found on Youtube:

10. rockgor

I used to have that album. Had lots of Roger Miller albums.

Sis, I always thought it was "Destination: Beggar Man".
    Maybe Roger was going to Bangor, Maine, to visit Stephen King. No, Stephen didn't
    live there then.

Gordon and I rode through Bangor on a bus tour of New England. The guide was
    so ignorant he didn't know Stephen King lived there. Beautiful old gothic house
    that you can see on the net.

Remember the Golden Girls theme song? "You would see the biggest gift would
    be from me and the card attached would say, Thank you for being a friend."

It always sounded to me like "card attached" was "heart attack". Well, it coulda made
    sense. Everybody on the show was old.

Sophia was supposed to be 80 when the series started, but Estelle Getty was really about
    60. I saw her live in the play Torch song Trilogy. She played Harvey Fierstein's mother.

This post illustrates that everything is connected to everything else, doncha think?

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes the good ole'music!,,,i just spent an hour on the youtube catching up with Roger and Tom. T. Hall and Bobby Goldsbourgh,,,,I used to Have alot of records too but they have disspersed over the years!,,,,,somewhere,,,,

The Golden Girls was one of my all time favourites,,,never missed it! The combonation of personalities on that show was awsome! Maud and Betty White ,,Rue M. and Estelle.G. it was just so wonderful!,,,Still see Betty White doing things here and there,,,,,I wish they would have just one channel on the TV with all the good old Shows on it!,,,i would watch it all day!,,,,,,,I guess that makes me old fashioned!,,,,lolol,,,,Sis