Book Club: We need a title for May. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Apr 27, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's post about five and then I'll post a separate voting thread.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Just started a new book. Maybe I'll recommend it.

RE: you question, what would we do w/o books, I don't know.
    Read a lot of scrolls?
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Someone recommened the book "The Late Great Planet Earth" Just to Read, Have you heard of this Book?
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think I read "The Late, Great Planet Earth" years ago, the one by Hal Lindsey, but I remember not being very impressed with his predictions, I'm afraid.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard very good things about The Namesake, both novel and film. I knew it sounded familiar. I used to teach a collection of short stories by the author, Jhumpa Lahiri, called INTERPRETER OF MALADIES.

[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Freakonomics? it's not a fiction book, but very readable, and pulls a lot of different facts/stats together in interesting ways.

thought I posted this? but something must've happened?

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I read Freakonomics and greatly enjoyed it.
    I'd probably read it again if people voted on it. It raises a lot of interesting questions, and offers some interesting answers.
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Here's a timely selection that I'd like to read, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE, by Barack Obama.

I'm trying to get a grip on the candidates and want to learn as much as I can about their inner being. What better way?
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll toss it in the vote.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm not ignoring you, I just have no suggestions. Amazing, isn't it?

11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

When i was in winona last week, i found a little book store, the clerk, who owned it,

Highly recommended this book, he said it was his pick for the month.

Water for Elphants, by, Sara Gruen

It's an old man telling about his life in the circus during the depression, i guess it has earned a few rewards.

It sounds like a gritty bizarre story full of human life.

I haven't read it, i choose to purchase, Children of Hurin, a new J.J.R. Tolkien book, finished by his son. Great art pictures in it!!
  12. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What were you doing way down south in Winona? That's 45 miles from my home town (village) of Harmony.

Used to go to Winona when I was a kid for speech contests, band clinics, etc. Our tiny village had no swimming pool, so we also went to swin in Winona at the WMCA. My brother took some college courses there.

Great scenery, especially in the fall.

Last time I was in MN I went to Barnes and Nobel. They had a big selection of Minnesota books including one on Winona. Lots of historic pics.

Some other towns w/ books were about them were Lanesboro and Rochester (same area).
  13. amber7

amber7 New Member

by Annie Proulx? i have started reading it, and love the style its written in. she also wrote 'brokeback mountain'.

14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The Shipping News with Kevin Spacey and Brokeback Mountain, loved both of them, shipping news my favourite.