Book club: We need suggestions for our April book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Mar 24, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

For April, rather than our usual novel, how about we select a play instead? Classic, modern, contemporary, American, European, absurdist, comic, etc... It doesn't have to be Shakespeare or Sophocles, but our play should have some depth to it. I thought it might be a nice change of pace to read and discuss some drama. After all, don't we all need more DRAMA in our lives? :)

Tonight or tomorrow, I'll post the discussion thread on THE KITE RUNNER.

New members always welcome.

2. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Where would one purchase a play? I have never bought just a play, and not a book. A bookstore like Borders or Amazon?

I really enjoyed The Kite Runner. I hadn't expected to. I am going to buy Hosseini's "A Thousand Splendid Suns" someime this week. I think I might just enjoy it too!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I nominate three plays: All American classics, all popular, all made into movies, all award winners.

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (1930s)

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams (1940s)

Picnic by William Inge (1950s)

Maybe Callum will give us his view as an actor.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Kellyann: I get almost everything I read from our local library, but Amazon, Borders, or better yet, your local bookstore, is bound to have a good play section. I loved The Kite Runner, too, and just got A Thousand Splendid Suns from the library.

Rock: Great suggestions. It's been years since I've read the first two, and I've never read Inge's PICNIC. I was hoping Callum, with his theater experience, might throw in a title also.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2008]
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member Death of a Salesman with poor old Willy Loman!

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

a play would make a nice change.

I have already read A Thousand Splendid Suns, its just as excellent as the Kite Runner - it gives a great insight into the trials and tribulations of the Afghani women, it's sad but also powerful in the way the women protect each other.

I won't be nominating any plays but looking forward to reading one, haven't read a play in 30 years.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I was up early this morning because I couldn't sleep, and was feeling a bit confused myself. Sorry Dar's dogs got you up so early!

The idea is that for April, we read a play rather than a novel or nonfiction. There are tons of published plays out there. Probably the most famous American plays are The Crucible and Death of a Salesmen. Some people think you should never read a play, but rather watch a performance of it onstage. But I think reading plays can be rewarding, too. Hope that clears things up!

8. rockgor

Attention must be paid!

9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I enjoyed Sheakespeare's comedies in my twenties but my brain is so befuddled these days I would need a play that is straightforward, written in modern English.

Maybe something we already know like Anne suggested - Death of a Salesman.

Wish I could suggest something but cant even think of one.

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

If not, I'll post a voting thread with Rock's three suggestions tomorrow.
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

If not, I'll post a voting thread with Rock's three suggestions tomorrow.
  12. rockgor

Don't forget to include Annie's suggestion: Death of a Salesman.

In 1960 I saw a wonderful production of Picnic at the U of Wisconsin, Madison. The school had a great drama dept. Their sets looked as good as professional shows.

If they needed a 60 year old character, they didn't paint lines on a college student's face. They got a 60 year old alum to do the part.

I was in several high school and college plays. Always great fun. Alas, I was somewhat handicapped by a severe lack of talent.

And now, Good friends, I bid you all a fond adieu. (Takes deep bow.)

13. springwater

springwater Active Member

Well, I have never read any plays on my own. Although i have always enjoyed it when my kids schools senior students put up their annual one.

My daughters class enacted 'A View from A Bridge' by Arthur Miller. I did find it a rather pessimisstic story tho, the story being of one mans descent into self destruction because of his obsessive 'love' for his niece. My daughter had to play the mans wife...torn between her love for her niece and jealousy because her husband is madly in love with the girl. Daughters comment in the printed programme for the play was "Incredibly, being frumpy and undesirable was fun!"

God Bless
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sorry! I'll throw your suggestion for throwing the great Willy Loman into the vote!

Springwater: I had heard of The View From the Bridge, but have never seen it. Sounds like your daughter had fun playing the frumpy wife!
  15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I pick up the Kite Runner from the library tomorrow!

Who, me behind?????

I just finished The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller. Very good, not your usual ending. Before that was Nineteen Minutes which really grabs your attention for many, many pages.

I'll return after I read the book you're going to review tomorrow. ;>)

Good reading to all.