Book Club: We need suggestions for our August book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jul 24, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hello, readers. I just finished our July book, NOBODY, NOWHERE, and will be posting our discussion thread on it in a day or two. It's a riveting memoir by an autistic woman from Australia.

Any good suggestions for our August book?

Also, what are you reading right now? (And let us know if you're suggesting it or just reporting on it).

Ever discover an author you like and just devour everything by that author? I've been reading everything I can get my hands on by Judith Van Gieson, a local mystery writer from here in Albuquerque. She's got two series, and I like her better than Hillerman. It's also fun to read about settings for mysteries in the town or area you live in.

Hope everyone is keeping cool this late July.

[This Message was Edited on 07/24/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have been reading, but don't have anything to suggest.

Just read a book on the minke whale. Discussed that on the porch. Yesterday I read an Elmore Leonard. Today I read a thriller by David Ellis.

Ellis is an Edgar Award winner, but I didn't find the book wonderful. Too much wallowing around in the past. Also he had a large cast of characters, and I now have trouble keeping track of who's who.

Got a book on Frank Loyd Wright. Not terribly interesting. Startled to read he walked out on his family to have an affair w/ a married woman. Next time I'll get a book w/ pictures of his buildings.

Am reading two books of essays on nature. I think a couple chapters from each book will be enough.

Got David Burns' book on Self Esteem. Didn't have the energy to read it, and now it's due back at the library.

The Los Angeles library has reduced lending periods from 3 to 2 weeks. Obviously trying to get some income. The city is allegedly $400,000,000 in debt.

Evidently the people who run LA are preparing to take over management at Ford which purportedly lost $8 billion last quarter.

Have not heard of Judith Van Gieson, but will take a look. It's always refreshing to read a book not set in LA or new York.

3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Just a thought, I am always late on my books and the librarian said all I have to do is call up there and renew it for another 2 weeks and then I do not get fined.

I wish I had known that 10 years ago after all my fines. LOL
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock: 2 weeks for the LA library lending period? I'd be owing fines constantly. As usual, you're reading an interesting mix of books, letting your curiosity take you where it may. I just found a book in the Albuquerque online catalogue on Yodeling around the world. Let me know if you find any Judith Van Gieson in the LA Library.

Jean: Great suggestion, thanks. 30 cents a day in Toronto? That would add up fast.

Fibromickster: Too bad you didn't find out about renewing books that way before. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2008]
  5. rockgor

Good to hear from you, Ken. After the usual difficulties I put a Van Gieson book on hold. It's called "The Other Side of Death". Isn't that where we are now?

Never read much about yodeling, but I have several recordings. I heard a radio interview w/ Patsy Montana, the first female country singer to have a million seller. Way back around 1935.

Anyway she was demonstrating the difference between a Swiss yodel and a western yodel. In fact, one of the most popular yodeling songs (which you can hear on Youtube) is about going to Switzerland and learning to yodel.

Just search for yodeling. 12 year old girl (Taylor Ware) is the artist.

I think I read Fifth Business decades ago, Jean. At least I started it. I see the author is from your neck of the woods. Also see he playfully made up quotes. Can't fault him. Did the same thing myself.

Just finished a book: All the cartoons from The New Yorker.
    The book is the size of a suitcase and weighs about as much as a toddler.

When you read the smaller print you find out the book does NOT contain all the cartoons from The New Yorker. Some sixty or seventy thousand were left out.

The missing cartoons are on two discs included w/ the book. Since it was a library book, the discs vanished long ago.

Mickey, I've known about renewing by phone for quite a while, but have only done it twice. Wouldn't be surprised if you could do it by computer nowadays.

I thought The Whistling Season was a terrific book.

Next time you see your chiropractor, tell him, "Heads up!"

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'm just finishing THE OTHER SIDE OF DEATH today. Nice title, huh? I guessed the murderer, something I'm normally not very good at. Her Neil Hamon books are tougher and darker than her Claire Reynier mysteries.

Making a library run this afternoon. I've got fifteen holds today. Drives Wendy nuts when she has to carry so many out of the library.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2008]
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Jean: Good idea about past suggestions. Since we lost the Twins, book club membership has been down, but I'm glad you're joining us, even if we're the only ones to read this month's book!

Hope you enjoy Vanishing Point. If I'm not mistaken, that one was loosely based on the dissappearance of Everett Reuss in the canyonlands of southern Utah. When did you hike the West Coast trail? I've hiked Grand Gulch, where some of Vanishing Point is set. It's a beautiful, deep sandstone canyon, with hundreds of ancient Anasazi ruins.

The Clair Reynier mysteries are her more recent series. Her earlier series was about the adventures of a tough Albuquerque female lawyer named Neil Hamel. I've made it a goal to finish all of her books this summer.

One of my former Navajo students is a student at the University of New Mexico and wants to be an archivist. She had me read Atlas Shrugged earlier this year, and I gave her a copy of James Hilton's Lost Horizon, which she loved.

I'm on my last Clair Reynier mystery, The Shadow of Venus this week.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2008]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Will check into the book on New Yorker cartoons. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode in which everybody looks at a New Yorker cartoon and pretends to get it, but they really don't.
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Since I've taken to reading the innane, I have no books to suggest that would suit everyone but I've written a few notes from your suggestions, so thanks.

Rock, Mickey and anyone interested: yes, you can usually renew and reserve books online. Type in the name of your local librarydotcom and you should be able to pull it up. I love that feature.

Happy summer to all,
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks for checking in, and hope you're having a good summer.

But what "inane" reading are you doing? I'd be up for that! :)

[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2008]
  11. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Just finished Wicked a few days ago. The one about the wicked witch of the west from the Wizard of Oz. I think I would like to see the play. Also will finish the latest Janet Evanovich 14 something book. A very fast read. This one gave me a few chuckles. Need to go to the library tomorrow and get a few books. Godbless
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Lee Childs latest thriller was one - Nothing To Lose. I was lucky this time and got it before it was permeated with cigarette smoke. I seem to share my interest in Mr. Childs with chain smokers, at least with the older books.

The books have a lot of violence in them but once you know Reacher, you know that he'll walk away in more ways than one. I like the simplicity used by Childs: he starts at the beginning and goes to the end. No doubling back to twenty years ago or even into another character's mind. You stop one chapter and pick up right where he left off. Still, I'm sorry to say this wasn't one of his best.

The latest and probably the most mindless book is one by Jennifer Cruise (with Bob Mayer) called Agnes and The Hitman. Cruise's books are filled with main girly characters who always have "bouncing curls" and lots of detailed sex. In this book the leading lady, Agnes, is a cook. I think it's a sign of something when reading about sex, crime and cooking makes me want to cook. .....At least I'm not buying bullets so I guess there's that.

I have two others waiting in my book basket that are, I promise, a bit meatier. We'll see if I can stand them - after all, it's summer!

13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Marta, You are so funny! If you wrote a book, I'd read it this summer.

Jean, I worked with Davies very briefly ~ 2 days, in fact. What a character!

ETA I lurk on these threads because, one day, you're sure to read a book I have. In fact, I got very excited at the top of July because I have "Nobody Nowhere" but could not find it. The only things in my life I can reliably locate, and which are somewhat organized, are my books. Was very disappointed not to be able to locate "Nobody Nowhere"! However, hope springs...

[This Message was Edited on 07/30/2008]
  14. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I am still around. I am reading a book by Joe Hill called "20th Century Ghosts" it's a book of scary short stories. I've only read the first story so far. I like to read scary stories somes, or just stuff that not all serious! Just fun!

I'll look around for a book idea or two,

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Ha Ha! Great questions posed to librarians!

Glad you enjoyed VANISHING POINT. Before my illness, I spent many hours in those beautiful canyons in southeastern Utah. I taught Navajo students in Farmington for twelve years, and spent many weekends in the canyon country. Glad you got some good hikes in, too, including the rugged West Coast. Ever heard of the trail the west coast of Vancouver Island?

16. rockgor

Thanks for the quotes. I will have to send them to my aunt, the librarian.

She became a librarian after learning the results of the Kuder Preference test. (Known in some areas as "the Cooter".

Loved the life-sized globe request. Reminds of the coworker who told me she had been to Disneyland and seen the life-sized statue of Mickey.

17. rockgor

I read about the trail and the mudcats who hiked it. Funny, on the same page Canada's tourist bureau is advertising Canada as a clean, fun place to visit.

My son used to live in Seattle. We were going to visit Vancouver island last time we were up there, but we changed our minds when Gordon found out you had to take a boat to get to the island.

That island is big. Bigger than some of our states. Bigger than some countries. Bigger than a breadbox.

I have aunts in their 80s or 90s. Don't know how many. I come from a dysfunctional family. One aunt stalked off in a huff about 60 or 70 years ago so we are not too au currant on her.

Normal families strive for togetherness. Our family's motto is "Fiat Estrangement"!

My aunt, the librarian, is in frail health. Talked to her a couple days ago. She hadn't been able to sit at the computer for a few days. Hasn't seen the funny lines yet.

Unlike me she is cheerful and still mentally alert. Our conversation was a bit spastic and we both talked at the same time, I kept using the wrong words, and the AT&T phone line was picking up the Mexican radio station in our neighborhood. Uff-da!

As Roy used to say, Happy Trails.

18. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

a lot at moment due to son's various hospital visits, intakes etc.

However, I really loved Carol Shields "The Stone Diaries" plus I just picked up a copy for 25c! to re read it.

"from her calamatous years in Manitoba in 1905 to her journey with her father to Indiana...a story of a 20th century pilgrim in search of herself creating a paradigm of the unsettled decades of our era."

I thought this book was clever, light enough to enjoy, and very informative and I liked learning about stone mason work and the start of century power plays."

Just a thought.

I am currently re reading Madame Bovary as well as listening to a dramatised and serilaised version of it on the BBC Radio. I have read Auust book years ago and enjoyed it, especially as my son has autism and we go through a lot of the same stuff - although I think at times she has a leaning towards bi polar illness, as some of her episodes seem that way.

Oh, the Isle of Guernsey I know well as I lived and worked on the Isle of Jersey next door, and actually had a Jersey passport. There is a new book out set in Guernsey called something like the Potato Peeling Pie Society of Guernsey, which is meant to be good. If I ever got rich I would go live there again, or maybe Sark, where they have no cars allowed!

Love Annie