Book Club: We need suggestions for our July book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jun 23, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hey, Bibliophiles:

It's time to suggest titles again. On Tuesday night, I'll post a voting thread. For July, feel free to suggest anything, from summer beach thrillers to timeless classics.

Also, on Tuesday, I'll post a discussion thread on Rococo and Pooh's Workout Book, our June titles.

New members always welcome.

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2007]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Water for Elephants just came in to the library for me! I'll try to pick it up on Monday.

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. (There are no requirements for joining, no dues, and no initiation.)

I am currently reading "A Curmudgeon's Garden of Love" compiled by Jon Winokur. He didn't write it. It's a book of quotes dealing w/ the battle of the sexes, the only war where "everyone sleeps w/ the other side".

Samples: "We would have broken up except for the children. Who were the children? Well, she and I were."
    Mort Sahl

"For the first year of marriage I had a basically bad attitude. I tended to place my wife underneath a pedestal." Woody Allen

I found this treasure at the library book sale for a quarter. This illustrates that the value of something may not have much to do w/ its price.

Very entertaining, but probably not really suitable for a book club selection.

Must go. I have four feral cats at the door who are demanding my attention.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You're like the Pied Piper of cats. I can see it now. Cats from every corner of California will begin the journey to your house. They do spread the word, you know.....

Has anyone read The Road? That's also reserved for me at the library but I heard it was very depressing. I may leave it there.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

Have you Heard of the Book called "Teacher Man?" By Frank MCcourt,,,,,Saw Him on The Martha Stewart show promoting it ,,,,,Sounds like a very interesting Read!,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2007]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

This book sounds like fun -

Book Description
    Readers of Victorian fiction must often have tripped up on seeming anomalies, enigmas, and mysteries in their favourite novels. Does Becky kill Jos at the end of Vanity Fair? Why does no one notice that Hetty is pregnant in Adam Bede? How, exactly, does Victor Frankenstein make his monster? Why does Dracula come to England rather than neighbouring Germany? Why doesn't the invisible man make himself an invisible suit? Why does Sherlock Holmes, of all people, get
    the name of his client wrong?

Haven't finished Rococo yet, better get a move on.

[This Message was Edited on 06/24/2007]
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Denise: Welcome (to the Book Club and to this site). Glad to have a Manhattanite joining us. We read a book a month, and then I post a discussion thread during the last week of the month. I have yet to tackle The Name of the Rose. Most people I know who've read it rave about it. The club has been going since May of last year. We tend to avoid books that are too mentally taxing, since many of us have concentration/memory/brain fog problems. But it is good to have books that raise interesting questions or provide food for thought.

Marta: Glad you finally got you're copy of Water for Elephants! I'd be curious to know what you think of it. Haven't read The Road, but I saw the Cormac McCarthy interview on Oprah. It was his first in something like fifteen years. It does sounds rather dark, but very good.

Rock: Those quotes made me laugh, especially the Woody Allen one. You're always finding treasures at book sales. Good luck with those feral cats.

Sidney: I read Frank McCourt's Teacher Man and greatly enjoyed it (being a former teacher myself). It's the best book about teaching that I've ever read. Haven't read Angela's Ashes by McCourt, by I liked the film.

Rosie: Thanks for the recommendation. That book does sound like fun. I'll put it in the vote!

8. sisland

sisland New Member

I Thought of you being a Teacher when I saw Mr. MCcourt promoting his book! Sounds like a great read,,,My Middle Girl and her Husband are also Teachers,,,,,,So think i'll pick it up for a Great read!,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member here's a thought, not for July's book, but for some of us book lovers who are forced by illness to be interested in eating properly. I enjoy Kingsolver's other books very much so will no doubt try this.

I will attempt to make paragraphs in this article from

"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver, Camille Kingsolver, and Steven L. Hopp, hardcover, 384 pages

Beloved writer Barbara Kingsolver and her family decide to pack it up, move to their farm in Southern Appalachia and for an entire year eat only food grown in their garden or on local farms by people they know.

But instead of a sweet, idyllic farming journal, this is a powerful treatise on the impact that agribusiness and the global food trade have had on the environment and our families, as well as an impassioned argument for eating locally. And because it's Kingsolver making the case, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is also beautifully written, hilarious and moving.

She reveals the treasures she finds in eating seasonally, cooking with her family and farming, while simultaneously providing a thoroughly researched investigation into current food production practices. And while the picture she paints is grim, Kingsolver also offers a gorgeous, living portrait of possibility and change.

She makes it clear that you don't have to be a farmer or make your own cheese to effect change in your life and in the world. Not in a very long time has a book so radically and permanently altered my way of thinking and affected the choices I make every day — and also been such a joy to read."

10. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I want to read that book! I love her books and hadn't heard of that one. I think I'll google to find a copy.
  11. rockgor

here certainly read a variety of books. I just finished "My First Five Husbands" by Rue McClanahan. (She is currently married to number six. At least she was when the book came out.

Married one loser after another. As she herself says, she was a complete ninny where men were concerned.

I would have preferred more discussion of her career. She was on Mama's Family and Golden Girls. Played completely different characters.

Anyway, a light-hearted look at matrimony and show biz, both rather goofy enterprizes.

12. laceymae

laceymae New Member

don't want to intrude...

just wondering, if anyone here is old enough to remember Erma Bombeck? I enjoyed her humor and wit so much, i still get her old books out and read them...lacey
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That new Kingsolver book does sound interesting. I'd like to read it, too. How about we put it in the vote? I'll bet a lot of people would be interested in it.

Rock: 6 husbands for Rue McClanahan? How many has Elizabeth Taylor had? Here's a list of Rue's TV and film work:

Lacey: I certainly do remember Erma Bombeck. You wouldn't think a 12 year-old boy would be interested in her books, but I found a copy of The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank when I was that age, and I thought it was hilarious.

14. rockgor

Just finished a thriller by Stephen White called "Manner of Death". The book is 8 years old. A great deal of space is devoted to the D. B. Cooper plane hijacking that took place on Thanksgiving weekend way back in 1971.

The general belief seems to be that D. B. was never caught and only a few thousand dollars of the loot recovered.

But a book written before White's thriller by a cop says that Cooper pulled a similar hijacking a few months after the first one and was caught.

He was sentenced to 45 years in prison. He escaped after two years and was killed in a shoot out w/ the FBI. The name of the book is: D.B.Cooper: The Real McCoy.

The criminal's real name was Richard McCoy. Among other things he was a Mormon Sunday School teacher from Provo, Utah.

So did White not know about this book? Did he choose to disbelieve it? Why didn't the Real McCoy book receive more attention?

White has a website. I'm going to visit it.

15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Molly - I started reading this a few years back, still have it at home but found it so depressing, and I dont normally get depressed, it took away my hope.

Tried reading it again last year but had to stop.

I think its a great book for some people, those who arent ill and have no understanding of what we go through but for me, its a no no.

Thats not to say that others wouldnt get a lot out of it.

16. Sybilee

Sybilee New Member

Just finished "Angry Housewives" and I cried, not because it is a sad book, but that it had to end. Loved it. It's a lighthearted older novel.
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What was that old quote from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

I'll bet White didn't believe the facts in The Real McCoy. It's much more interesting to believe that DB disappeared with all the loot. There are similar myths about Butch Cassidy reappearing as a doctor in Utah after he and the Sundance Kid were supposedly killed in Bolivia.

Sounds facinating, anyway. I'll have to check out White's book and maybe The Real McCoy, too. [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2007]
  18. rockgor

Yes, I read a couple books about Butch. I think his grandfather was a Mormon Bishop. Anyway his sister said he came back to the U.S.A. and worked, I think, in a print shop. Died decades later.

Don't remember the quote from Liberty Valence. Sounds like that old advertising slogan "Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle."

I found the website for author White, but I couldn't send him an e mail. Maybe he's gotten dozens of inquires about the Real McCoy already.

I need to go to the thrift shop or the library's books sale and replenish my stock of paperbacks.