Book Club: We need suggestions for our July book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Jun 25, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It's that time to come up with some possible titles again. Anything good come to mind? How about by the weekend I post a voting thread with all of your suggested titles.

Also, I just finished our June book, THE WHISTLING SEASON, by Ivan Doig, and loved it. I'll post our discussion thread in a day or two.

New members always welcome.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I've been reading, but haven't found anything to recommend.

I also loved I've a Dog. Tried to put another of his books on hold, but the library computer is recalcitrant. Nothing is easy in our modern world.

Or if it is, somebody is bound and determined to improve it.

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I don't know if anyone heard of William Trecvor. He is an Irish author heralded as the best short story writer of the 20th century. He has a new book of short stories out. He certainly is a great writer.

Also Ian McKeown who wrote Atonement amongst others.

I really think The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields is a wonderfully written book, that is set in Canada then USA in days gone by.

Lovely Bones is also well written by Alice Sebold, if a little on the gloomy side. But I am still thinking.....

Love Annie
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

suggestion~~~Thinking that Tim Russerts Book "Big Russ and Me" sounded like a Great one to read,,,,,going to call the Library to see if they have it,,,,Just an Idea!,,,,Sis
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

That does sound like a good idea the Russert book. Annie
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock: If you're looking for more Ivan Doig, I can't recommend DANCING AT THE RASCAL FAIR highly enough.

Annie: I hadn't heard of William Trevor. I'll have to check him out on Wikipedia and see if the library has a collection, too.

Good suggestion on Tim Russert's book. My dad read it and enjoyed it. Very timely, too.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Dancing at the Rascal Fair and was it English Creek? that was the sequel are glorious books.

William Trevor is now about 82, but what a writer. Also Ian McKeown;s books are amazing. I am stuill trying to read the Ivan Doig and will not be finished by end June for sure unless I can get it on CD which I plan to look for tomorrow.

The Johnstown? Flood is also a good book based on fact. Did I get that name right?

Love Annie
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Did she by any chance have Mazo de la Roche's Whiteoaks series (Jalna) I would love to re read them-about 15 books in all I think.

9. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I would like to read along and join here if possible

Can anyone post the list of previously read books?

I was given a recommendation of The Road by McCormack (?)
    haven't looked at it yet...

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Sure we love new members and Ken will be on to tell you that. Love Annie
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good to see you here. We are in the process of discussing The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig on another thread and getting suggestions for the next book on this thread.

But we are very casual. You can post suggestions or discussions or whatever you like wherever you like.

Sometimes people can't get the book in question so they post about another one by the same author. or one by an author w/ a similar name. Or one that was set in the same period. or one they happen to have on the bedside table.

I am currently reading Tis by Frank McCourt.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rock always does a great job of welcoming new members, but I wanted to say welcome, too!

I'll have to post a list of all the Book Club books (we started in May of 2006, so it's been over two dozen months and two dozen books so far). If you do a search above for "Book Club," you'll find most of the titles.

13. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Year of Wonders, a novel of the Plague
    by, Geraldine Brooks
    A national bestseller.

A very engaging book, historical fiction, a infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated mountain village, a housemaid named Anna Frith becomes a healer, and thur tragdy is liberated from the normal drudger of women of her time, also a dangerous time for women to learn and be educated without the powerful protection of a family or spouse.

A very good read, the ending not what was expected.
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

for putting together that list!

There were a few before those, too, that we read:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon

The Notebook, Nicolas Sparks,

The Life of Pi, Yann Martel

The Beekeeper's Apprentice, Laurie King