Book Club: We need suggestions for our June book.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 20, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Let's try to vote a bit earlier for our June book, as suggested by Erika, so if there is a hold at the library, it will be easier to get.

In a few days, I'll post a voting thread with your suggested titles.

I hope you're enjoying Water for Elephants as much as I am (if you've been able to get it). I'll post a discussion thread on it next weekend.

New members always welcome.

[This Message was Edited on 05/20/2007]
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks again Ken for starting the new post!

Here's a book I just started reading today that I think would appeal to a diverse group of people:

"Kitchen Privileges: A Memoir" by Mary Higgins Clark.

I barely know who Mary Higgins Clark is other than that she's an author, but I find myself fascinated by her upbringing. I'm only on page 15, and I'm already drawn into the many interesting people in her family and the events that are going on in her life. It's hard for me to get engaged in a book, and this one is easily engaging.

Take care all!

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Good suggestions. I'll throw them in the vote!

My father was visiting this weekend from Minnesota, so I didn't have much time to read, but this week, I'm going to finish WATER FOR ELEPHANTS.

4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

You will love the ending of Water for Elephants. It's just so cool!
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What did your Dad have to report from the Land of Sky Blue Waters? (Somewhere I have a recording of a song by that name.)

How bout a Pooh book for a change of pace? Pooh's pace is rather slow and ambling.

It's not by A. A. Milne. It was published in 1984, and it's by Ethan Mordden who usually writes about Hollywood, B'dway and opera.

170 pages. Does an excellently job of capturing the flavor of the original. Uses the Shephard illustrations.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Dar: Glad you enjoyed the ending!

Rock: Thanks for the recommendation. What's the title of the Pooh book? My dad had a great weekend here, and enjoyed the dry air in New Mexico. He left this evening and was eager to get back to his home in Wabasha. We ate burritos and sopapillas while he was here. On Tuesday, he'll be 70.
  7. pat460

pat460 New Member

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
    The Husband by Dean Koontz
    Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell

Haven't read them yet, but they sound great. I've ordered The Husband already from Amazon because it sounds interesting and I love Dean Koontz(and James Patterson and Stephen King--see a pattern here?).

The other two I read about on Oprah's book club page. But please don't hold that against them as they both sound like great reads.

8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

just finished Water for Elephants, loved it.

Dont have any ideas myself but also think its a good idea to get an early decision so books can be ordered from library.

9. rockgor

The title of the book? Oh, yeah. I saw my doc last week. He said I don't have Alzheimer's, just mild cognitive impairment.

So I looked it up. At the top of the page it says "ALZHEIMER'S". Then it says mild cognitive impairment is the transition or beginning stage of Alzheimer's.

I frequently send e mails leaving out the main point. Tch, Tch.

Anyway the title is "Pooh's Workout Book".

Hi, Pat. Just started another James Patterson book: Kiss the Girls.

When I went to school in St. Paul, Ken, there was one Mexican Restaurant in the whole city. It was in a rather poor part of town. Then it moved to downtown Minneapolis and the prices went up about 300%.

Your Dad is turning 70. Good grief! He's about 3 years older than I. I am old enought to be your mother.

I have to go have a treadmill test today. I had one several years ago. I asked, "On the average, how many people die every week taking this test?"

One gal looked rather alarmed. The other one just laughed.

All for now

Adios and ha det bra

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Thanks, Pat for the recommendations. I'll throw them in the vote.

Rosie: So you finished WATER FOR ELEPHANTS already too? My goodness; I better get reading this week.

Rock: Thanks for the Pooh title. St. Paul and Minneapolis have changed, haven't they? When I grew up in South St. Paul, Minneapolis seemed like it was a world away. I do remember a Mexican restaurant just south of St Paul, on Robert Street.

How do you know for sure that your cognitive impairment is the beginning of Alzheimer's and not just mild cognitive impairment? A neuropsychologist found that I have some cognitive impairment as well. I'm forgetting really obvious things. On Friday, I forgot to give my wife a phone message, but luckily, it didn't cause any major problems.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2007]
  11. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

But my husband went to an action sale on Saturday, and brought me home a box full of elephant nicknacks!

There are some really nice ones in there, and on pink elephant! LOL

Now i have something to put in the china hutch i inherited from my grandma!!

It all started in March when my husband went to the church fundraiser, and was drawn for a prize, which was a White elephant.

Then came the book, and now all these other critters!!
    Too funny, how things change, i now have a nice elephant collection.

12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I loved reading the Pooh books, in my twenties, made me laugh out loud and not many books do that.

I see this is a Pooh exercise book with hints on how to achieve Pooh and his pals' shapes. Sounds like fun, is there lots of cake involved??

13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Maybe you could post a picture of your elephant collection. When I was a kid, I had a small wooden elephant that I treasured.
  14. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Your wish is my comand! :0) I had them all setting on the table after washing them.

It was hard to get them all into one picture, they weren't very cooperative.

15. Marta608

Marta608 Member

You might be interested in my thread begun a few weeks ago about stress tests. A lot of good, reassuring info there from nice folks.

If you like Patterson you'll love Child. I know; nag, nag, nag. I'd start with Echo Burning, not with Pursuader or One Shot which are my least favs.

I have no choices for the next book since I've been obsessed by Lee Child books all month and have yet to receive Water for Elephants.

And Rock, I don't believe for one minute that you're impaired in anyway. At least no more than I am........

Here's to books!

16. rockgor

I didn't have a treadmill test after all. You know what a big problem communication is in general. In LA it's especially problematic because there are usually people in the chain for whom English is not the native language.

Anyway, it was Not a treadmill test and I did NOT need to fast!

It was a songram of the heart and carotoid artery. The picture on the screen looked just like those early baby pictures.

I asked the techician if it was a boy or girl. He said, "Huh?". I asked him where he was from. He said: Persia. You know Persia went out of business in the l930s.

As for being impaired no more than you are, that reminds me of the last time we were making lefse. (Note: lefse is a Norwegian tortilla made from potatoes and cooked on a

Gordon kept saying to one of the gals, "Your lefse is burning."

She always responded, "But I just turned it."

Nevertheless, the lefse was burning and my brain is fading. So just have to keep trudgin' w/ when I've got left. Left, right, left, right...

17. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Where do you get all of this totally cool and (seemingly) random knowledge, and how do you permanently store it into your noggin? Regarding "lefse", perhaps you or Gordon are of Norwegian descent, but still, you always have something interesting to share with us. It's fun.

All the best,

[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2007]
  18. rockgor

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I have ancestors from Norway. One of my great x 5 uncles came here in 1856. Got a job that paid $1 per day. Five years later he was able to pay the passage for his parents and nine siblings.

(My ancestors from Wales came over 220 years before the Norwegian uncle.)

Gordon, on the other hand, is an immigrant himself. Came here in 1950 when he was a baby. But he likes to make lefse and krumkaka and other Norwegian treats.

Don't you think most people have a knack for something? Making cakes or making money; fixing engines or fixing elections? Too bad we don't get to choose.

19. sussieque

sussieque New Member

I'm new to this board and just read this post. You may want to add these two books to a future list of books to read...
    "PEACE LIKE A RIVER" by Leif Enger and "THE KITE RUNNER" by Khaled Hosseini The bookclub I belonged to voted these our favorite books read. They both have been around for a while, so you may have already read them, but if not they are both very good.

20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm so glad you didn't have to go fast. Hmmmmm? Oh! you say you didn't have to fast. That's good too. I cancelled my stress test because I had enough of it already but the doctor wants me to reschedule it soon.

What did the sonogram tell you? Anything good? I'm having an MRI mid-June. Those MRI folks are very busy! They work seven days a week and I still couldn't get an appointment until mid-June. Must be everyone is having their brains checked out. It figures. It all rolls downhill from the top, after all. ;>)

I'm STILL waiting for Water for Elephants. Meanwhile I found a Grishom book I hadn't read. At this rate I might as well just read the reviews.

Morningsonshine, you sure got LOTSA elephants! Or, as my youngest son used to say, elphanuts.

[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2007]