Book Club: We need suggestions for our June book

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 27, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It's that time to propose titles and vote again. How about we put titles on this thread and then I'll post a voting thread on Friday?

One suggestion is The Children's Blizzard, by David Laskin, recommended by Annie.

It's actually on hold for me as we speak. Might be an unlikely read for the beginning of summer; it's about a winter storm that swept through the Midwest in 1888.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

G;ad that counts as a suggestion for June. Rock is already reading it.

Another older but good book is "I Capture the Castle" I will have to look up the author-it was made into a movie a little while ago.

Love Annie
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

What?! Oh, no! :(

Rats, is all I can say. You've been a good friend, and I will miss you very much on here.

A warm hug back to you. God bless you and take care. I hope we can keep in touch (and you can keep up on Book Club) through your twin. :)

Your friend,

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2008]
  4. raven5000

raven5000 New Member

Don't know what books you've read, but I'm going to re-read Angela's Ashes...Irish immigrant story, set in Ireland..pretty sad, but written with humor. It's an older bestseller...
  5. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I just finished reading "The Pact", it was awesome. I am also halfway finished with watching the movie.

The movie was on LMN on long time ago, so I recorded it to watch after I read the book.

I think the author was Picoult (spell???), I can't remember.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Raven5000: Do a search on "Book Club" and you'll find all sorts of titles that we've read. We've been going for over two years now! Frank McCourt is superb. Angela's Ashes, book and film, is wonderful. I especially like his memoir, Teacher Man, about McCourt's life as a teacher in New York City, before he became a famous novelist. It's the best book about teaching that I've ever read.

Fibromickster: The Pact sounds good. I'll have to look into it. In the meantime, I'll throw it in the vote.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Just started a weird book. Don't know if it will be one to recommend or not. The Title is Practically Perfect in Every Way. Sub title: My misadventures through the world of self-help and back.

Author Jennifer Niesslein.

What's weird is that I feel like I'm reading a novel, but the book is not classified as fiction. The cover has a 1950s style illustration. Of course in the 50s there were only 2 books that might be called self-help: The Power of Positive Thinking and How to Win Friends and Influence People.

The term "self-help" did not exist.

Annie, I Looked up Capture the Castle. Sounds like a children's game. Written by Dodie Smith eons ago; I was in third grade.

Aside: Our second grade teacher was Mrs. Wilson. She was wonderful. She loved us so much that when we moved on to third grade, she moved with us. Isn't that sweet?!

She lived in a neighboring village, eleven miles away. We were awed by the lengthy commute. ("Commute" was not in use either.)

Good to see you, Mickey and Raven.

I am also reading 3 thrillers. One hardback from the library; one paperback for the bathtub. Another paperback for the bathtub cause I couldn't find the first one.

Keep those pages turning

8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The book club loves new members.

Jodie Piccoult has written many books some better than others, but all readable- I think she wrote The Witness?

Dodie Smith-yes. It is very old book Rock, about yet another indolent writer and his suffering family living in an old decrepid lighthouse in England-it is a sort of coming of age book. Your new book does sound odd.

Ken what is all that about? The post you replied to was deleted is someone else gone?

I am up for any suggestions, remind us what The Pact is about? I read several of her books last year and my memory is dreadful.

Here are a few more titles:
    The Secret History Donna Tatt

Impoverished man arrives at college in Vermont and gets involved with some strange students and corrupt professor. All have a secret. Gripping Literary pysch. novel. (Not read it yet)

Talk Before Sleep Elizabeth Berg This was OK about the strength of women dealing with one's breast cancer together-made me wish I had friends like that! I read another of her books (well two) and they are all around medical issues, but quite well written.

A Week IN Winter Marcia Willett about selling the family farm ( not read it yet)

The Weight of Water Anita Shreve's latest novel this time a murder mystery (not read yet)

The Plot Against America Philip Roth about what if USA had never entered WW11 and signed a Peace accord with Hitler. (not read it but it looks interesting)

Atonement Ian McKewan - I aim to start reading this soon. I love his writing. People will recall this was made into a movie and nominated for Oscars last year (this year?) I have not seen the movie but DO want to read the book. Try anything of his. His language is poetic and wonderfully drawn.

Rock you mentioned Ann Patchett and she has a book called Bel Canto about hostage/captor connections

Anything at all by Carol Shields who died too young, but not before writing many books. She is a wonderful writer (Canadian) I loved her last book best, I cannot recall the title it is one word, about a missing college student. But try Happenstance for a good family drama. I loved her StoneDiaries??? book, darn it, my mind and titles!

The Lovely Bones Alice Sebold well written if macabre story narrated by a dead murdered girl.

This list is not necessarily for the June book, but just suggesting authors to people who actually read!!! I already had a book chosen last month.

LOve Annie
  9. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Annie, The Pact by Jodi Picoult is about these two families that live right next door to each other and the mothers had kids the same age and they grew up together and ultimately fell in love, however, the girl was so depresses and wanted to kill herself.

He didn't want to, however, the gun went off accidently and then they put him on trial for murder. I won't tell you the end. It made me cry in parts.

The movie is nothing like the book. They changed a lot of the plot. I just finished the movie last night.
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Molly got bumped, evidently, for posting a URL on the Lyme Board. I was saying goodbye to her. I'll miss her! I hope her twin, Dar, is still with us.
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

...I read that book, it is a good read.

When I was designing dolls I used to donate hand made ones regularly for Downs syndrome kids up for adoption.

You would be amazed at how many educated well off people want to give away their DS kids, but want to "make sure{" they go to "educated" homes!!! How about that!

In general, it has been my experience that working class families tend to be far more accepting of their special needs kids, and they are the ones who lack money to pay people to help with care etc. Not always, but a lot!!!
    Lokk at the Kennedy's and the British Royal family who both kept mentally ill family members under wraps and lobotomised.

As the saying goes: "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

You should join the book club if you like to read. Hope the neck is doing better on this fine NY day today-I even mowed the back lawn and we did a lot more prep work, sanding etc. Ready to prime and paint now!!! Yeh.

Talking of which there is a whole series of books around someone who fixes up old houses and solves the mysteries she finds therein-I read one and thought it was OK.

Love Annie
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi Bookies..... oops...wait....... ;>0

Yup, it's JODIE Picoult that you're thinking of Mickey, as others said. She's a very prolific writer but I promised myself no more of her books. Everyone I've read is depressing and a friend of mine said The Pact is especially so. Fine with me if y'all want to read it though. I have many books in the book basket including Sara Paretsky's latest, Bleeding Kansas. I'll let you know if it warrants of club read.

I read Weight of Water but I can't remember what it was about. Good, though, I think? I read so many books that I'm starting to read them again with only a very slight memory of the first time around.

Meg Wolitzer has a new book called The Ten Year Nap. I'm going to order that one from the library.

And of course, there's always Scott McClellen's book...... OK, don't throw anymore eggs at me!

Here's to books!

13. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Year of Wonders, a novel of the Plague
    by, Geraldine Brooks
    A national bestseller.

A very engaging book, historical fiction, a infected bolt of cloth carries plague from London to an isolated mountain village, a housemaid named Anna Frith becomes a healer, and thur tragdy is liberated from the normal drudger of women of her time, also a dangerous time for women to learn and be educated without the powerful protection of a family or spouse.

A very good read, the ending not what was expected.

Very sorry to hear about Molly!!!
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Velkommen! Mickey and Jam and Raven and Linda and MSS. As Annie said, we are always glad to see new faces. (I 'spect MSS is familiar w/ Velkommen as she is a gopher.)

I looked it up, Annie. The Weight of Water is 8.3 pounds per gallon. (More than gasoline.)

A Week in Winter sounds like Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard. (I am an authority on this play as I saw it at the Guthrie Theater 40 years ago w/ Hume Cronin and Jessica Tandy.)

Jam, the Bugliosi book may be Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Note: the "g" in Bugliosi is silent just like the "g" in Pagliacci.

In Italian a "g" in front of an "l" or "n" is always silent.
    I have been listening to Italian opera for decades and have learned several words. This is known as having a flare for languages.

Bleeding Kansas sounds like Quantrill and the Civil War. I had a college friend who taught in Lawrence, Kansas, and am thus considered an authority...

I am busy going through the Daedalus catalog and marking books to look for at the library. One is "The Cottagers" which is set on Vancouver Island. Guess what: the mood is Chekhovian.

Annie, was it you who recommended Vitamin D? It has substantially lessened my depression. Is Molly gone? Well, goshdarn it. I will miss her cheerful posts.

Remember: A book in hand is better than two feet in a bush.

15. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I see lots of familiar 'faces'. Ok, I was going to intelligently comment on peoples various posts, but they have all drained out of my colander memory so I will forthwith recommend a new Ivan Doig book called The Whistling Season. After not liking the last few books he did as well as the first ones, he has again written one I really loved.

Another good one I read lately is Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss. Set in 1917, about a girl horse trainer in a remote ranching area. Really good characterization, not really about horses.

I'm reading Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Not really sure how I feel about it yet.

Rock, LOL at your 'Gift for Language'

16. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I ,oved his eraly books then as you say he went "off" I will look for that and hope it gets listed as a choice for June.

The Plague also sounds interesting.

Rock so I stopped at the deli tonight as we have no kitchen to cook in today, and got some of that Pagliaccelli soup-no I lie, it was pasta fagioli. They were selling it off as it was the scrapings for 99c a large bowl. I got three. Was pretty good as it had most of the stuff at the bottom.

Also got a banana nut muffin to split three ways so I better make sure no snipers about, right.

Linda, like me you do all the medical research and you are in medicine too!!! Makes a change to read something sans illness - Dan always says if they had Medical Jeopardy I would be another Ken Jennings. My fmaily in Canada call me Doctor Annie I amalways trying to solve the medical mysteries and I like Mystery DX. Danny wants to go on it.

I also like Sara Petreski books-I usually get hers Books on CD. Linda, you may enjoy resting your neck and listening to a book.

Hi Rosie, Foggy (nice to see you!) and all, Love Annie
  17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I wandered by to see if any decision has been reached about June's book. I was so delighted with the posts here that I once again pledged to read them more often. I always learn something and get a good laugh. Except I'm very sorry to hear about Molly..... :>(

Rock, could be someone else recommended D to you too, but I know that I did. I'm delighted that it's helping you. I did find a bit over over-zealousness creeping into my personality though, so enjoy it but if you start having a wee problem sleeping, you might want to reduce the dose. (Sorry to have lead the Book Club subject off into the field but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.) OK Rock, who was the person who had the delight of that experiment, I wonder?

Beginning Bleeding Kansas today. I hope its kinder than it sounds.