Book Club

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

A question please!!

After a bad start, I'm really enjoying The Teacher - almost finished and wish I had more to read.

Anyway, I am confused......we have a different education system in UK.

When McCourt is teaching at Stuveysant, he's encouraged to use 'diagrams' which he can't do - probably because we don't do that here - well not in English Literature at High School anyway. Can anyone please explain what this is.

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Maybe Ken can help us with this ?
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I read that part last night. It just means going over a sentence and identifying the parts.

The dog ate my homework.

Dog is a noun, the subject; ate is the verb; homework is the direct object; my is an adjetive.

Some teachers like to have students go further and underline certain words w/ one line or two lines, put a circle around this, a box around that, etc. Not very important.

I also had the slow start and then developed a liking for the book. Cute picture on the cover of the library copy. McCourt looks like a little Irish leprachaun.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Glad you're enjoying Teacher Man. It gets better as you start to hear McCourt's voice.

Rock's exactly right about diagramming sentences. It's a way of teaching grammar that can be used with ten-year-olds up through college students in a technical grammar class. To diagram a sentence, you map out the parts of a sentences with lines, slashes, and boxes. Subjects, predicates, nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, noun articles, conjunctions, and prepositions can confuse students, so why not make them visual?

It was very popular in the 50s and 60s, but almost died out completely in the 1980s. It has experienced a bit of a resurgence recently, though most English teachers no longer teach it. I did on occasion, but I never spent a lot of time on it.

Here's a site with more information on what diagrammed sentences look like:

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... and her new book which we have for the bookclub in August is featured this week on Speaking of

From the site:

SOF OnDemand:
    » Listen Now (RA)
    » Download (mp3)
    » Podcast

SOF via E-mail:
    » Sign up for the newsletterThis week on public radio's conversation about religion, meaning, ethics, and ideas:

The Ethics of Eating
    Krista speaks with celebrated author Barbara Kingsolver about the longings and lessons behind her new book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle — a chronicle of a year her family spent eating primarily what they could grow or raise themselves.

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

diagramming is pretty simple then, wonder why McCourt couldn't get to grips with it - mental block.

Rock I agree about the cute photo, he does look like a little leprachaun with his wee Irish face......

Looking forward to talking about this book.