Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hi all

I'm in the middle of The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver and I'm really, really enjoying it, thanks for recommending it, a few of you did.

Didn't like her non-fiction but she's a great novelist.

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I'm so glad you like it!! It is very different from AVM and Poisonwood Bible. I've read those too, but her novels are the best!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks for starting another book thread Rosie.

I liked the Bean Trees. Did you know the bean trees are not trees at all, but wisteria vines? One of the suburbs of Los Angles has a wisteria festival every year. A single plant, it is claimed, has coverd two house w/ its vigorous vines.

Wisteria is kinda like the old soviet union. Will smother and take over everything in the neighborhood it it's not stopped. In any case they are spectacular when the lavender flowers are blooming.

I am currently reading some Noel Coward plays from about 80 years ago; a historical novel about exploring the artic; a Dave Barry collection and a mystery by Joan Hess.

I can't read the artic explorer book too long. It's as big as Harry Potter. You have to be strong to hold it up more than ten minutes.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'll read Pigs in Heaven too. That's wonderful that you're an adoptive mother Molly, I hate to read about abused kids but at least Turtle is with someone who loves and takes care of her.

Rock - I know what you mean about books being too heavy weightwise - I have a friend who brings me piles of magazines every few months - they are just full of ads but at times when the brainfog is too strong to read anything decent, they pass the time. But my arms and hands just ache afterwards.

What's everyone else reading? I havent started the PJ Tracy book yet but will get to it soon.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

go to the library today. I finished the mystery and the Noel Coward plays. The Dave Barry book I've read before. I've decided to give up on the historical novel as it seems to involve a supernatural beast. The book just seems to factual to introduce a monster.

It's ok to sing in a musical, but not in film noir.
    Something like that.

I also bought two paperback books at the library. One I don't like and the other has print too small.

James Burke said a couple decades ago that a thousand new books are published every day. Guess it's ok to be picky.

I hope Ken feels better pretty soon. His mal de whatever is dragging on too long.