Book lovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MicheleK, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

To all of you who are book lovers, I thought we might start a thread here discussing books we have or are enjoying.

I am currently reading David Ellis-Life Sentence. It started out slow but is pretty good.

I just ordered a David Silva book, as someone here on the boards recommended his books. Waiting for it to arrive.

I also ordered the sequel to Ken Follet's-Fall of Giants.

I got a charge card through that pays points for every dollar you spend. I pay my bills with my credit card and then pay the credit card off. I get lots of points that way without going into debt. The result is that I can order lots of books for free. It's a great gig!

Please leave the names of your favorite books and authors here and let's keep this thread rolling. It will act as a nice reference for when we are looking for our next great read.

Wishing you all a great day, MicheleK
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, shoot. That's all that's left of my post. I guess that "V" doesn't
    stand for victory.

Anyhoo, I found a new thriller author I like. Her name is Linda Fairstein, and
    she's written several books.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Last really good book I've read is "The Help." I've just been distracting mysef with bargain books from Amazon. My memory is so bad from the fall but I did read a good nonfiction book on the leaks about the computer virus which interrupted Iran's ability to enrich urnaium. It was a good book but can't remember the name of it. When I'm done with books, I let Amazon store them instead of leaving them on my Kindle.

I have always loved Ken Follett's writing going way back. I also love John Irving for his quirky outlook and sense of humor, even when writing about dark issues. I used to read a lot of spy-vs-spy books, like the Le Carre series, but I've gotten tired of them. These books all start to seem alike to me.

A few years ago, someone tried to get a book club started here but it never took off. It could be a fun thing to do.

Love, Mikie
  4. jole

jole Member

A lot. My problem is remembering what I If I wait a few months I can read the same book again, and parts of it are familiar, but I still enjoy it.

I loved The Help....great book!

Just finished Calamity Jayne, a funny murder mystery. (It was free on my Kindle, but a GOOD free :)
  5. rockgor

The Fairstein book I'm reading, Diane, is "Likely to Die". I have another one
    waiting for me at the library. Have to go there tonight and pick up a
    handfull for me and Gordon. Will see if I can find a book by Susan Elizabeth

I like all the authors you listed except S.E.Phillips (whom I don't know yet) and
    Nora Roberts. Do you read J.D.Robb who is also Nora Roberts? According
    to Wikipedia she has a couple other pseudonyms plus, of course, her real name.
    I wonder if she has multiple personalities.

I tried "The Help" but didn't like it. Gordon has the DVD, but I don't think he's
    seen it yet.

I re-read my Winnie the Pooh book a couple years ago. It still has the book
    plate pasted inside with my name. My mother typed it there 60 some years ago. A.A.Milne was also a writer for Punch, the British humour magazine and
    a playwright. His son, Christopher Robin, wrote a book in which he said his
    father was too busy with his career to pay much attention to him. For some
    years the son ran a bookshop in London.

A prolific British writer you might like if you appreciate quiet stories of village
    life where not too much ever happens is Miss Read. She wrote a book a
    year for about 40 years.

Kinda like Maeve Binchy without all the drama and unwed pregnancies.

A good place to find the names of books and authors is the Daedalus Catalog.
    They sell remainders at low prices. Also CDs, DVDs, stationery (anybody buy
    that stuff anymore?) and whatnot.

6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I like Linda Fairstien too and many of the authors listed.
    Jonathan Kellermam is awesome! I could never get into his wife's books as she uses Jiddish terms in them that fly over my head.

If you liked The Help, you may also like The Kitchen House and Someone Knows My Name. Both take place in times of slavery. They are excellently written.

As for forgetting what one has read, I've done that a couple of times. I'll get a book, start reading it and get a feeling of DeJaVu. LOL

I usually buy my books. I've never gone to the library to see what books can be downloaded to my e-reader.

Have any of you tried audio books? I am curious if I would be able to pay attention just laying there listening to someone read to me.

I have already pre orderd Nelson Demille's Panther and John Grisham's new one too. Can't wait to get them.

I am such a bookie, I have at least 30 hardcover books here not yet read, another 20 or so on my e-reader and I still keep buying books. I need a self help group for my addiction! lol

7. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Confused, I have a couple Rosenfelt books here to read. Glad you said they are good. I haven't read him yet.

Another good book is The Thirteenth Hour. I don't remember the author but you can type it in on Amazon and it will pop up. really good!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

is, hands down, "The Velveteen Rabbit." I cried when I first read it as an adult. Finally, someone who understands what it's all about!

Love, Mikie
  9. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Mikie, is that a children's book? I've never heard of it.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it's a children's book but the message is one which only gets better as the reader ages. Life is a lot about loss. We may lose our looks, our health, our finances, etc. The idea is that as life takes its toll, we become more beautiful and lovable in a different way.

When my children were growing up, it gave me a whole new chance to discover childhood from a different perspective. I read to the girls until they could read to me. I got down in the sandbox and played with them. We went tubing in the farmers' ditch in the summer and played on the playground together. Their Dad also enjoyed doing things with them. To experience childhood twice in a lifetime is such a blessing. If I lived closer to my GS, I'd do it a third time. I do get snippets of time with him and enjoy him now that he's a bit older and not so fussy or ornery.

Love, Mikie
  11. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Your right. We do lose our looks, health, finances etc., but I wouldn't trade the wisdom of being older for youth. Of course if you were to offer me youth with this older wisdom, I'd be first in line!

I have a one year old grandson. I will find The Velveteen Rabbit and read it to him.(and to myself!)
  12. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Okay, I went through my book stash and found David Rosenfelt's "Bury the Lead". Has anyone read it? MicheleK
  13. rockgor

The Velveteen Rabbit to my son many years ago. Don't really remember anything about it. I did see an audio version in the Daedalus catalog. Meryl Streep was doing the reading. I believe she used a rabbit accent.

Read some books by David Rosenfelt a few years ago. I remember I liked them.
    Have to check the library and see if there's anything new.

Am currently reading "Faithful Place" by Tana French. The author currently
    lives in Dublin where the mystery is set. Am also reading an old book by
    John Grisham titled "The King of Torts". Melvin Belli, a San Francisco attorney
    was referred to by that title. This book has nothing to do with him.

Gordon just passed along a Christmas book by M. C. Beaton, another very
    prolific author. Maybe I'll put some seasonal music on the stereo.

14. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I loved King of Torts by John Grisham. The thing is that he's written a couple books now that deal with tort lawyers. I think he is trying to educate people that most of these tort lawyers are blood suckers. Anyhow I did find it quite interesting to get an inside look at "the system" and why so many times we hear that we need tort reform.

Sorry to hear about Maeve Binchy. She was excellent at painting a picture with words so that you felt like you were right there with her characters.

I got on the computer this morning which is the kiss of death for me getting to read my books. Seems once I get on the laptop, time just flies. I do a lot of work on Facebook and talk to so many people I just don't take note of the time. Then I start playing some of the games on there and I am done for. Next thing I know it's time for bed. So my goal for tomorrow AGAIN is not to turn on my computer till I read the end of the novel I am so close to finishing. I'll let you know if I succeeded. LOL