Book Nook

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Feb 26, 2016.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The Book Nook is a place we can share our love of reading. Anything we wish to say about our beloved books! (Or the not-so-beloved ones too.) :)

For Example:

Which authors do you like/dislike ?

What books are you currently reading or have you recently read?

How would you rate the books ?

Do you mostly use libraries/bookstores/online or e-reader ?

Had any interesting experiences concerning reading?
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

I prefer to read Christian authors but do read others. I love Jan Karon's Mitford series. I like Phillip Gulley's books. I have read several Beverly Lewis' books about the Amish.

I mostly like to read about small town or life in the country. Stories about people's lives in simpler times. I guess that makes me oldish.

I'm not at all interested in vampires or zombies, sci-fi or any of the smutty filth in the modern romance novels. The Christian ones are okay because they are clean but some can get too preachy. I am a Christian but I don't appreciate the salvation message in every book. I just want a nice simple clean story.

I have read a few Fannie Flags books and liked her too. I don't go to the library. I always loose the books and end up with astronomical fines. Did you know that they will turn you over to a collection agency?
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB

Great title! For this post or for an old fashioned book store. Sounds much
    more inviting than Barnes and Noble. I remember some decades back
    when LA had old, rather dingy, cluttered book stores. There were four
    or five of them in a cluster on 7th street across from MacArthur Park.

Visiting those shops was kinda like a treasure hunt. Used to find all
    kinds of stuff. One time I came programs from the Metropolitan Opera
    dating back to the 1950s. Ten cents @.

You ever notice how many heroines in cozy mysteries run a book
    store?

Willow, I am a great fan of Jan Karon, Phillip Gulley and Fannie Flagg.
    You read Fannie's Standing in the Rainbow and the sequel Can't
    Wait to Get to Heaven? Interesting concept of Heaven.

Gordon and I read Jan Karon's latest a couple weeks ago. Have read
    all of Gulley's village books. I grew up in a village of the same name.

If you haven't already, you might want to look at the village life
    books of Miss Read. Miss Read is both the author (a nom de plume)
    and a character in some of the books. If you like her books, you're
    in luck. There must be 30-40 of them.

Gordon and I also finished the Ladies of Covington series recently.
    There are ten books. Gordon sent her an e mail and asked if
    she was planning more. She wrote back and said she wasn't.

Rock
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Willow77 and gb66 like this.
  4. rockgor

Hi GB, you might look at the legal thrillers of Michael Connelly. His
    book The Lincoln Lawyer was made into a movie a few years ago. The
    "Lincoln" BTW refers to a car, not a President. His books feature a colorful
    cast of characters that tend to show up in subsequent books. The good
    thing is, if you like him, he wrote a lot of 'em.

I haven't read a John Grisham for quite awhile. Maybe I should give him
    another try. I did like a couple of his early books. But then he seemed to
    have run outta interesting plots. I'm going to see if our library has any
    V. Methos books.

Rock
  5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, I finished off Michael Connellys books a few months ago. :) I really enjoyed all of the Lincoln Lawyer books. He's a good writer. Do you have any more legal thriller writer's to recommend? Those are my favorites.

I also enjoy books about the FBI/CIA and cop stories. I forgot to mention James Patterson. I've read almost all of his. The Alex Cross books were very good for the most part. Earlier ones were the best. They made movies from a few of his.

I probably read a couple of hundred books every year since I got an e-reader. Also, Nelson DeMille is good. The first book of his that I read was Plum Island, really makes you wonder. The main character is John Corey. There are a bunch of good ones in that series. Have you read The Gold Coast? (re: Grisham, I just finished The Racketeer, it was pretty good. You might want to give it a try. GB
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  6. bct

bct Active Member

I am reading Patrick Taylors's Irish Country Doctor series. Am now on #9 in the series: An Irish Country Doctor in Peace and at War. I enjoyed the earlier books more; the later seem to becoming a bit repetitive. But if you like Ireland and can understand all the Irish/Gaelic words (There is a glossary in the back of the first volumes I think), and like eccentric characters in a small village you might like this series. The first is called An Irish Country Doctor and the best to begin with.

If I run out of modern novels I can reread many books by authors I like a great deal : Virginia Woolf, James Joyce, Barbara Pym, ad infinitum. Gregory McDonald has a good run of mystery novels in the Fletch (character) series set in the Fla. Keys.

I am also serially reading Ruth Dudley Edwards books: English dry humour, very good satires of all institutions British. Howlingly funny at times!

I am also a fan Of Ruth Rendell, Louise Penney, Barbara Vine, Reginald Hill, Laura Lippman, and others. Steven Saylor and Lindsey Davis for Roman historical fiction (the latter's "Falco"series is excellent), Deryn Lake, Mel Starr -- English historicals.

I'm worn out, must lay myself down and read!

I must urge you to check out fantasticfiction.co.uk Excellent resource for bibliographies and list of books. A SUPERB site!

I don't go in for horror/zombies/vampires/gore/ etc.

Happy Reading.
    Barry -- confirmed bookaholic. :eek:
    gb66 likes this.
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Barry, That's a very interesting reading list. The Irish books sound intriguing but I would have trouble with the Gaelic words. Most of my ancestors were Irish but that's ancient history! :)

I don't care for the vampires/gory stuff either. I do like mysteries and some legal thrillers. I think a lot of us on here are bookaholics!
  8. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi y'all,

Love this thread!

Has anybody read Jeffery Deaver's books? I love his Lincoln Rhyme series. He also has several short story books, which I thoroughly enjoyed. He is sort of in the "James Patterson" genre. But I find his novels better than Patterson's later works.

Another author I love is Jeffrey Archer. He's English (British -- I never know the proper term). I'm currently reading his 6th novel in "The Clifton Chronicles." Difficult to put down. I've read all his other fiction. He too has very entertaining short stories.

I enjoy DeMille, I've read them all!

Oh, if you like the Law & Order/SVU type novel, try Linda Fairstein. I've read every fiction book of hers, but I'm stuck on her latest. Maybe she, too, is running out of "steam."

Sometimes I look for a Nora Roberts book, but hers have gotten a bit "stale" lately. We need another Fannie Flagg novel! Or another author like Maeve Binchy.

Hugs, Diane
    gb66 likes this.
  9. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I love DeMille's books too. Did you read Plum Island and Gold Coast. Really good. I wish he'd write a new one. I'm going to look up Jeffery Deaver.

I've read most of J. Patterson's and also David Baldacci's. He's probably my favorite. GB
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. ConfusedInPA

Hi GB,

I just looked on Nelson DeMille's website. Doesn't look like he has any new books coming out soon. Or, if so, they are not listed on his website. :( I need a new John Corey novel to sink my teeth into.

James Patterson has several new books coming out (doesn't he always?). You can check his website to see what's going to be published when.

I don't see any new Fannie Flagg books listed on her site.

Barry, I may try some of the authors you listed. I tried reading English novels (a co-worker of mine in the 90's loaned some to me), don't remember the authors or titles, but I didn't like the genre very much. Maybe it was just Barbara's taste in reading that didn't mesh well with mine.

Anyways, good chatting with y'all. If I find any "bestsellers" that are worthy of mention in this thread, I'll be sure to post!

Hugs, Diane
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Diane, Ditto the John Corey. He is such a fun character. I like his sense of humor.
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  12. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

Hi GB
    I haven't read any of Janette Oke's books. They didn't have any digital copies at the library. I may have to check The Friends of the Library's bookstore inside the library where you can buy a hardcover book for .50 if you join for a donation of $5. If you don't join a hardcover book would be $1, paperback .50 and books more than 10 years old .10.

I have read a lot of John Grisshom, I think that is the legal author that wrote, "The King of Tortes" and "The Last Will and Testament". I would read whatever happened to be for sale on the small shelf set aside for large print. Not much choice in what you could read but sometimes I would go in and buy out all the large print books on the shelf. Except smutty romance, political or sports books. I have read a lot of Catherine Coulter's books, the ones about the forensic pathologist that the TV series Bones is based on, and also a lot of Dean Koontz. I would take my sleeping pill and lay down and read myself to sleep, usually around 90 minutes. I need to get back in the habit of doing that. The sleeping pill makes me hungry and everything tastes good then. Reading keeps me out of the kitchen.

I joined bookbub.com to get a lot of free digital books and there is a Facebook page that christian authors post their sale and free books on. So far I have over 100 books but I need to learn how to delete some of the kindle books. I accidentally downloaded a zombie one that I want to get rid of. So far none of the free books have been great but I don't think that Grishom needs to give books away to get business.

The Irish Country Doctor books sounds good, I will have to look it up and the Miss Read books too. I just can't be trusted with a library book as it is a little dicey whether I will take it back or not. I have paid at least $100 worth of fines and my high school transcripts were with held when I went to CC because of a book never returned.
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Willow, If you have cable tv you can usually find re-runs of the Janette Oke series. (I think it's on Hallmark Channel). They are well worth watching in my opinion. The 'Love' series is heartwarming. I hope you are able to see these or read the books.

Several of John Grisham's books have been made into movies. I believe the first one I saw was The Firm. Really good. GB
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. rockgor

Hi Kids

Been slim pickings around these parts with regard to library books lately.
    The Los Angeles library has 6 million books, but when it comes to a
    book you want, it may have only 1-10 copies. And there are 77 branches.

The good news is they will deliver books to your particular branch. The
    bad news is, it may take weeks. And if you want a current bestseller,
    you may be on a list with hundreds of other readers. When I see that
    I'm number 143 or so on the list, I figure I'll be long gone by the time it's
    my turn and just cancel the hold.

Anyhoo, almost all the books I've gotten in the last two weeks have
    been disappointing. Started a book by one of the world's most popular
    writers two days ago. Gave it up after 100 pages. The author was
    Robert Galbraith. Never heard of him? He sometimes uses the
    name J. K. Rowling. I read another book she wrote using that name
    that was not about Harry Potter. Also disappointing. Cobbler:
    stick to your last.

BTW, I read an autobiography she wrote. Or was it just an article?
    Anyhoo she said she had some job where she worked with kids. A
    substitute teacher? She said the kids used to call her Rolling Stone
    because Rowling was pronounced "Rolling".

Also BTW, Slim Pickens was an actor who played small parts in
    lots of movies. His most famous role was in Dr. Strangelove. Slim
    rode the H bomb. But before his acting career, Slim rode broncos.
    He was a champion rodeo cowboy. (No rhinestones.)

Diane, yes another Maeve Binchy would be wonderful. A couple
    years ago I reread all her fiction. Always great to find a writer
    one loves who is also prolific.

The books about the Irish doctor remind me of James Herriort,
    of All Creatures Great and Small. (Herriort also used a
    nom de plum.) Read his biography some years back. The
    author said Herriort did not just report his life, he modified
    and reworked the material. He was both a novelist and a
    reporter.

Gordon is going to the library today. Thus far we have only 3
    books waiting. Two cozy mysteries for Gordon and a novel for
    me by a Scottish author who was born at the end of the 19th
    century.

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends;
    they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors,
    and the most patient of teachers."
    Charles William Eliot, President of Harvard for 40 years.

Rock
    Willow77 likes this.
  15. bct

bct Active Member

Hey Rock, what did you think of Leo Bruce's novel you mentioned? A Sergeant Beef one I think. A Case for Three Detectives wasn't it? What cozies does Gordon read? Inquiring minds etc...

I really don't care much for spy or terrorist type novels myself. Not sure about Grisham or Patterson or Koontz. Never read any of them....

Diane, I haven't read any of Nelson Demille's books. I guess you have already read Radiant Angel (2015), the last published of his books in the Corey series. Gosh, he's written 35 books and I've never heard of him! o_O

Later, friends,
    Barry.

16. rockgor

Hi Kids

Just got back from the library: the North Hollywood branch aka the Amelia
    Earhart branch. Amelia's 7 foot statue is there. Been there for 56 years.
    Amelia disappeared in 1937. The statute was erected in 1960. Her
    husband fellow aviator George Putnam was dead by that time, but her
    secretary was present at the unveiling.

I used to work near there. Went weekly for a couple years till the
    office moved. Our law office changed its name or its address (sometimes
    both) on the average of every two years. Attorneys with gypsy feet.

Anyhoo I got ten library books and bought half a dozen paperbacks for
    a quarter @. The paperbacks are used, but they look pretty new to me.

Barry, I am sorry to say I did not care for the Leo Bruce book. I guess
    you had to be familiar with the earlier stories about the 3 detectives.
    I have, however, discovered a new British author: D. E. Stevenson.
    The initials are for Dorothy Emily; 1892-1973. Born in Scotland.
    Wikipedia says her father was a second cousin to some other writer.
    One Robert Louis Stevenson.

The good news is twofold. I like her book, and she wrote lots of them.
    about 50. But many are very old; going back to the 1930s. A few
    have been reprinted. Our library appears to have about 45 of
    her books.

The book I'm reading now is a fat one because it contains two novels.
    "Miss Buncle's Book" is the one I am presently reading. About village
    life and the resulting to-do when a book about the village is published.

Gordon reads cozy mysteries by lots of authors. When he finds one
    he likes he reads all of said author's books in the library. Here is a
    partial list. Earlene Fowler, Rita Mae Brown, Monica Ferris,
    Susan Wittig Albert (We both just read a series by her), Laura
    Childs, Joanne Fluke, Charlaine Harris, M C Beaton, and
    Agatha Christie.

He also reads historical mysteries set in Victorian times or
    the Middle Ages and, of course, Maisy Dobbs. I liked
    the first Maisy Dobbs. Thought the rest were inferior.

OK, Kids. Time for me to lie down and get back to my book.
    Happy reading.

Rock
    [​IMG]
    bct likes this.
  17. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

My most memorable Reading Experience:

When I was in the third grade I had a very progressive teacher. She used some of the methods that didn't really become popular for many years. She let us work on our own for part of the class period. We had regular assignments to work on each week and complete at our own pace. There was a chart with each of our names on it where we put check marks as we completed the assignments.

For instance, we had a list of spelling words that we were to learn, partly by spelling them out using blocks of letters (she called them anagrams), that were always available on a little table. We could go over and spell each word out whenever we wished.

She took the entire class to the public library branch that was a few blocks from our school. I'll never forget walking with my friends to the library where she helped each of us get our very own library card. We checked out a book every week just to read on our own. In addition, we had books in the classroom that we were to read and do a written report on each week.

I'll never be able to thank this wonderful teacher enough for the love of reading and learning that she instilled in me. She really make a big difference in my life.

I was 8 years old at the time and still have memories of the excitement that I felt on those trips to the library, and the pride I felt when I was given my very own library card with my name on it.

One person can make such a difference in other people's lives. GB
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    rockgor likes this.
  18. ConfusedInPA

GB, what a great experience!!

Rock, I love that your tastes in reading are all over the place. Best way to be! I used to read history, bios, autobios, etc. Now I mostly stick to fiction. I just want to escape to all those places ... London, Paris, Rome, in present day, or past day, perhaps. :)

Barry, I have indeed read that book (Radiant Angel)! Enjoyed it!! I'm going back to my Jeffrey Archer, after my chores are done. :)

I have no other books to recommend. When I hear of something worthy of reading, I will be sure and let y'all know!

Diane :)

gb66 and rockgor like this.
  19. rockgor

Hi GB

Thanks for sharing. I remember our village library. It was open 5 hours
    a week. It was a room in the brick civic building next to where the fire
    trucks were parked. We had volunteer fire fighters, and no cops.

Anyhoo Minnie Trouten was the librarian for all the years I lived
    there. Dunno what she got paid, if anything. Probably the minimum
    wage which was 75 cents an hour back then.

A card holder was entitled to take out 4 books at a time. But
    (a big but here) every member of the family could have a
    card and one could use the cards of other family members. So
    sometimes when I was in grade school I would transport all
    the books I had in my little red wagon.

Diane, I've read several Jeffrey Archer books. He is very prolific.
    Not only wrote a lot of books, but they tend to be big fat ones. The
    last ones I read were the prison trilogy. He has a new book out
    this year which I just put on hold. Looked in Wikipedia. Was
    surprised to find he is a Baron.

Diane, When I was young I thought I would travel to the countries
    my ancestors came from after I retired. Ha Ha. Now I seldom go
    as far as the grocery store.

Barry, I loved the first D. E. Stevenson book. Am on the second.
    I bet you would like her too.

Willow, I don't know how to manipulate those electronic books.
    I have found some authors who have no old fashioned books in
    our library. Just various electronic forms.

I loved "Reading keeps me out of the kitchen." Sounds like
    something you might find on a sampler. For Gordon reading
    and kitchen go together. He reads cookbooks the way other
    people read fiction. Has hundreds of them. I'm pretty sure
    at least a dozen or two have the words "Dim Sum" in the title.

Happy Reading, Kids
    Rock
  20. rockgor

Hi GB, et. al

I used to be a librarian myself. During 9th grade study hall. My
    aunt was a librarian in Minneapolis. Then she was a mom for about
    25 years. Then she went to work at a Rochester, MN High
    School. She was a librarian-teacher. In charge of the library and
    showed movies, led discussion groups about same etc. Her Dad was the
    editor of the Lutheran Church newspaper. She had several Lutheran
    ministers in her familly.

Despite Rose on the Golden Girls, there is no town named St. Olaf in
    Minnesota, but there is a St. Olaf College. My aunt and uncle were
    married there when I was ten. About the only thing I remember from
    the wedding is the impressive punch bowl. It was made of ice.

The college was in Northfield, MN where the Jesse James and Cole
    Younger et. al tried to rob the bank. The intrepid citizens shot the
    gang to pieces. The survivors went to Prison in Stillwater for life,
    but after 25 years they were released for some reason. Frank James,
    Jesse's older brother returned to the family farm in Missouri. For
    25 cents he would give you a tour. Frank was still alive when my
    Dad was a kid.

Rock