Book--Reversing Fibro, Dr. Elrod??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Dec 13, 2002.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

Anyone read this or heard anything about this book or author?
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

Anyone read this or heard anything about this book or author?
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which offers the possibility of reversing the symptoms of FMS is Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin treatment. His book is "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia."

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm not a believer in the guai, but I have this book and it is no cure either. It's the same old basics, and it will help, esp. for those who have not read anything else, but will not cure.
    Klutzo
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

Thanks for the info
  6. DIZ

DIZ New Member

I'VE BEEN READING THIS BOOK AND HAD SOME HOPE UNTIL I DISCOVERED THERE WERE OVER 1000 THINGS YOU HAD TO AVOID WITH THIS DRUG...MY RHEUMATOLOGIST TOLD ME IT WOULDNT REVERSE THE DISEASE BUT MAYBE THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING HELPFUL IN THE BOOK SO IT WOULDNT DO ANY HARM TO CONTINUE READING IT...THE BOOK ONLY LISTS A 1000 OF THE MANY TO AVOID SO I FIND THIS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYONE TO DO..
  7. harmony58

harmony58 New Member

Hi,

When I was first diagnosed with fibro my dad bought me that book. The one nugget I got out of it was to take magnesium, manganese and malic acid supplements. They kept me on my feet for most of grad school. Through my reading it apparently relates to the hypo-adrenal axis thing. Nothing he says is particularly harmful and some correlates with newer research.

harmony
  8. Jude

Jude New Member

I know the book is overwhelming at first. It took me a whole month to read it and understand what it said. It really isn't as hard as it looks. Some people are more salicylate sensitive than others. That's why it is best to start out conservatively. Most of the things to avoid are topical or in supplements. I am not on the stict diet but do basically follow a hypoglycemic diet. The guai is working for me and I have been mapped.
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Wanted to welcome both of you to the board.

I have also read both books, did get the magnesium advice from; 'From Fatigue to Fantastic' by Jacob Teitelabaum MD, too.

I have improved 80% from taking this with other supplements.

I didn't try the Guri, as it was just too demanding for me at the time, my fog them was really bad, and I would never have been able to keep up with all the do's and don'ts of this treatment.

But from what I have read over the last almost two years,from Mikie and others, if you can stay with it, it is really a good treatment.

Shalom, Shirl

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hmmmmm, I never thought about it that way, how that looooong list of taboos could be so intimidating. If one were to focus on that, one would never consider giving the Guai a chance. Dr. St. Amand never claimed his treatment is a cure, but he says it can reverse the symptoms of FMS.

Basically, you have to avoid meds with aspirin in them and all supplements made from herbal extracts. You must also eliminate things like lotions which contain botanicals. There are websites which list products which contain no slaicylates. Soaps and shampoos are not of much concern because they are washed off immediately. Lotions are the real problem because they are absorbed into the skin. You must continue to read labels because manufacturers change their ingredients often. Basically, if you stick with cheap products, you stand a better chance of not encountering botanicals because they are more expensive than synthetic ingredients.

I went from having to take Morphine for my FMS pain to almost never needing it anymore. My tender points are much less tender. I figure after 1 1/2 years on the Guai that I am about 3/4 reversed. Unfortunately, I also have CFS which still produces fatigue and cognitive problems for me. Of the two, the CFS is the more debilitating for me.

My Guai treatment has been somewhat sidetracked by a skin-care regimen prescribed by my plastic surgeon. It contains some salicylates so I have upped the Guai dose to 2400 mgs a day and only use the skin-care products twice a week. It's a compromise that I am experimenting with. I wouldn't try it if I weren't so far along in my reversal. BTW, I have been sick for 12 years, so the "normal" time for reversal for me is about 24 months.

The Guai has been one of the most important treatments in my regimen. For most people, it will work. Where there have been failures, I believe it is due to hidden salicylates or inability to find the correct dose. When one considers the potential benefits versus eliminating a few products, the choice seems clear. Once one has eliminated products with salicylates and replaced them with nonsalicylate products, half the battle is won.

In any case, the book is one of the best around for explaining why our mitochondria cannot produce ATP and it explains a lot of other important issues in our illnesses. I recommend the book regardless of whether or not one tries the Guai therapy.

Love, Mikie