Book Suggestion for Christians

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANNXYZ, May 30, 2006.

1. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Two books that have been enormously encouraging and eye
    opening are :
    "The Jesus I never Knew " by Philip Yancey
    " The Purpose Driven Life " Rick Warren

Have they helped me feel better ? No , but they help me maintain perspective about what is important . If you love Jesus , the Yancey book will add a new dimension to
    what we already know about HIm.

Many christian books seem to be written without anything compelling to say ; but these have powerful messages .

I realize many here are not christians , but for those
    who are a blessing may be found in reading these .
  2. painandagony

painandagony New Member

good reminder to me.
    A Purpose Driven Life has been sitting on my shelf for months and I haven't read it yet. I will get it out. Like you said, I know i won't feel better, but inspirational type books reframe and give you a new outlook on things.
  3. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I really love Rick Warren and the all of the Purpose Driven materials. Cloud and Townsend are also excellent. I travel to California to see all three of them every year in August (depending on which ones are scheduled for summit) I also enjoy some of Joyce Meyer's and Stormie Omartian's books. I'm currently reading "Beauty for Ashes" (Joyce Meyer). Max Lucado has some good ones also. I've enjoyed several of his as well. The Purpose Driven Life would have to be my personal favorite though. I re-read it from time to time just to get my mind back on track. I have to constantly keep reading christian material to keep a positive frame of mind. It's easy to get off track and for me to start having a pity party if I don't.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think Phillip Yancey is one of the finest Christian writers around, especially in dealing with issues of how suffering can challenge our faith. He also writes passionately about caring for the poor and people of other cultures.

I've read a number of his books: WHERE IS GOD WHEN IT HURTS?, WHAT'S SO AMAZING ABOUT GRACE, and RUMORS OF ANOTHER WORLD. They were all superb.

I'll have to check out THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE.

I read a lot of C.S. Lewis and G.K Chesterton, but their theological writings can be mentally taxing at times!
    Like you, I feel that reading good Christian writing doesn't help me feel better physically, but it helps reinforce my faith, and it somehow helps me rest easier, knowing that in the end, everything will be okay.

Kholmes
  5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I love stormie omartian's books, i also have a praise CD by her that is beautiful.
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

is by Cloud and Townsend " God Will Make a Way" . If you are struggling with hopelessness or despair, it can remind you of all the HOPELESS situations God has fixed .
    I have given it to several people , and each one went out and bought a copy to give to someone else . They all found it very encouraging . This disease makes it hard NOT to feel hopeless at times, but I do know that God is a big God . I also know many people who improved and some who are totally well ! Most of them are christians , and somehow they found something that put their immune system back to a good place for wellness. Some were VERY sick for years , before improving .

Until healing comes , we all have to focus , I suppose on glorifying God in our present state .

I appreciate the suggestions here very much .
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I read a small portion of the Bible every day. It never dissapoints. When I'm especially tired and have trouble focusing, I take a few verses in Psalms.

My other favorite part is the Sermon on the Mount, which is in the book of Matthew starting in chapter 5. In there Jesus says: "Never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Sufficient for each day is its own badness." (Matthew 6:35) It always strikes me as funny and true. I paraphrase it to myself: Don't worry about tomorrow; today's bad enough already! :D

A modern translation is a huge help. I like the New World Translation best because of its references and direct language. It is special among English translations in that it preserves the divine name in the original places. In many modern English Bibles, God's name can only be found at Psalm 83:18, and it is replaced with the word LORD in the other places. In the oldest surviving original language manuscripts, God's personal name appears over 7,000 times. I'm proud to own a Bible that is faithful to the origial languages in which it was written.

(((Good Book))) Shannon
  8. Johnna

Johnna New Member

I own and have read "The Purpose Driven Life." It's VERY good, and I would definitely recomend it!

~Johnna~
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

by Max Lucado. Just started reading it.

It's very good.

Sue in Ontario
  10. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I also go into Billy Grahams web site and order his books he has. They are free and right now thats about the only way I can get books. they help me loads.

I have read the Purpose Driven Book, and found it to be a great book.

jennie
  11. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

They are encouraging and he is not " lofty" .
    Yancey and Lucado help me see the human side of Jesus
    that connected with the down and outers . Thanks for the suggestions.
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

He's another great contemporary Christian writer. The funny thing, he is a very boring speaker, but his Christian writing is vivid and beautiful.
    I'd highly recommend just about anything by him.
    Kholmes
  13. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

....an old classic "Hinds Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard.

I've read it about 6 times and never fail to find myself in the story and leaning on the Good Shepherd like never before.

It's an easy and beautiful must read!!!

Maia
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had forgotten about HINDS FEET IN HIGH PLACES. That is a beautiful story, isn't it?
    It's an allegory, kind of like John Bunyan's classic, PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, but much easier to read!
    Kholmes
  15. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Yes, Hinds Feet on High Places is an allegory on Song of Solomon. It is about a young woman by the name of "Much Afraid" who goes on a journey to the High Places. The Good Shepherd is there when she calls on him, and gives her two companions to travel with "Sorrow" and "Suffering".

It sounds dreadful, but it is a beautiful story. There are so many life lessons in the story and it never ceases to amaze me how I fit into Much Afraids life, no matter where my own life really is.

I have bought this little book many times and given it to friends. I hope someone here will be blessed by its reading.

Maia
  16. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

some books that were great diversions at times when my spirits were low , and I just needed a fun or
    CHEERFUL mental escape. These are not christian books , but they are clean and UTTERLY DELIGHTFUL:

" Charms For The Easy Life " Kaye Gibbons / This is FANTASTIC southern style fiction , and one of the BEST stories I have read EVER . A fuuny and sweet story !Gibbons also has written some other great books . I love
    " A Cure For Dreams " .

" Diary Of Mattie Spencer " Sandra Dallas , another great author and a wonderful read - . She also wrote
    "The Persian Pickle Club " which is a hoot ! Another one that was so funny and amusing is " Alice's Tulips " .

Rosamunde Pilcher is a great English author who wrote
    first rate books that are great " take me away to a pleasant place " escapes . My favorite is " The Shell Seekers" .

Another author, Irish , who writes charming and FASCINATING fiction is Maeve Binchy . This lady is incredible and most of my friends love her too .
    My favorites : " THe Glass Lake " , " Circle of Friends "
    and "The Copper Beech " . Most are set in Ireland or England and she is a FINE writer .

Other books that I have loved and read more then once that are great stories and clean " David Coppperfield "
    by Chas Dickens and " To Kill a Mockingbird " by Harper Lee .

The books I have mentioned have brought me a lot pleasure and have brightened my spirits when I needed
    escape from feeling frustrated with sickness or depresssion in the past .

I hope some of you will write down the authors and treat yourselves to something that will cheer and amuse you .
  17. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I also love Max Lucado. Try "No Wonder They Call Him the Savior" and have read recently "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Yancey.

Right now I am reading "I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Athiest" which is fascinating and full of great info on the history surrounding the bible and evidence for God, etc.

Try also "The Case for Christ" and "The Case For A Creator" by someone who's name I cannot remember (of course! Some journalist)

For the working, try "The 10 Commandments Of Working In A Hostile Environment" by TD Jakes. Great book.

And of course the bible is ALWAYS a great read. 1 Corinthians 15 is my favorite. The whole chapter is good, but starting around 51 (I think) talks about the resurrection body, etc and NEVER fails to move me from the first time I read it to every time after. I have the NIV and also the NLT and Amplified.

"I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in the twinkling of an eye at the last trumpet. The dead in Christ shall rise first and then those left on the earth will rise together with them to meet the Lord in the air."

What a great day that will be.

Sonya
  18. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Hey, I mixed Corinthians and Thessalonians!! But it is all good anyway!!! LOL
  19. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

...Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Diebler Rose? It is about a woman who was a prisoner in a Japanese prison camp for 4 years and how the Lord sustained her through intense suffering and hardship. I haven't read it, but heard it recommended on Revive Our Hearts with Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I LOVE those inspring stories of how the Lord brought people through extreme hardship.

Also, the book of Psalms sustains me daily. :)

Julie
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FAITH TO BE AN ATHEIST has to be best title on here so far.

Lee Strobel wrote the books you're thinking of:

The Case for Christ
    The Case for Faith
    The Case for Easter
    The Case for a Creator

As an investigative journalist, he is probably the best Christian apologist/defender writing today. I think C.S. Lewis does it better in the classic, Mere Christianity, but Strobel is very good.

I'm going to tackle Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship one of these days, but I've heard it's difficult. Bonfoeffer died in a Nazi concentration camp.