Book suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charls, Apr 21, 2003.

1. charls

charls New Member

Having been diagnosed with this DD for around 18months I have only just got around to reading up on it, although I have read many sites on the Net. I have just finished reading Christine Craggs-Hinton's "Living with Fibromyalgia" and "The Fibromyalgia Healing Diet". And after doing a brief search on Amazon I have added Leon Chaitow's "Fibromyalgia and Muscle Pain: Your Self-treatment Guide" and "Fibromyalgia and Muscle Pain: What Causes It, How It Feels and What to Do About It", to my basket (not purchased yet though).

I was just wondering if anyoen out there firstly had any opinions on the above books and also if they had any suggestions to where I should be looking.

Many thanks
    Charlotte

2. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Sorry that you share the DD but glad you are here with us on the board. There is tons of info to be gained here. Also you can check out the library here on this sight it seems to be a fav with everyone. As for my favorite (at least presently) is "Fibromyalgia and Mayofascial Pain- A survivor's Manual" by Devin Starlanyl. Besides Amazon you could check out half ebay for great deals. Happy reading
    (knowledge is power, right?!) love Rebel
  3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

That opinion about Devin Starlanyl's book and add Dr. St. Amand's What Your Doctor Might NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia.
    If you have a problem with migraines I would add Headache Help, A Complete Guide to Understanding Headaches and the Medicines that Relieve Them. This book is absolutely GREAT for helping you understand the process that the doctor is going through to try to find how to medically prevent your headaches. It also has info regarding nondrug strategies for avoiding headaches.
    Tibbie
  4. urge2soar

urge2soar New Member

Sorry about the diagnosis...again, there is so much info on this board and on the web that is extremely helpful.

If I had to pick one book it would also be the Fibromyaliga and Myofascial. The author also has FMS.

Many Blessings

5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Will also agree with the Devin Starlanyl's books. She has FM and all her books are very informative. She is also a doctor.

I have not heard of the ones you mentioned, but I do have about 21 on Fibro. My next choice would be; 'From Fatigue to Fantastic' by Jacob Teitelbaum,MD. It is also a good one.

Let us know what you decide on.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. There is so much more to the book world than Amazon, ebay & Barnes & Noble. I suggest you try your local library first, or try searching for titles on bookfinder or addall. (add the .com for their sites) You can find wonderful used booksellers with shops in your local community & on the internet, all of which need your support much more than the uncaring big box corporations. You can often search by keyword (like fibromyalgia) or just a word in the title.

Best wishes for your reading materials.

ephemera
  7. charls

charls New Member

Thank you for the ideas and sugestions. I concur that knowledge is power, and I guess I want to know as much as I can. Am going to go and take a look on ebay etc now.

Thanks again
    Charlotte

8. robin

robin New Member

Hello...all my info came from the boards or doctor.
    May I ask...what did you learn from the Living with
    Fibromyalgia book and the Fibro diet book??
    can you give me an idea in your own words if you
    considered the reading worthwhile?

thanks,
    robin
  9. charls

charls New Member

The two books I mentioned by Christine Craggs-Hamilton I found in a local religious bookshop of all things. They aren't religious in any way shape or form which makes it even odder. They were printed recently (2001) too. They form part of a series called "Overcoming Common Probelms". The series deals with topics such as strokes, thrush, blushing, depression, PMS, hernia etc. Seems like a great series of little books. However, she (and I presume the series) is UK based and therefore does look at the DD from that view.

The "Living with Fibromyalgia" was a great introduction and informative on Fibromyalgia. I especially liked the easily explained scientific terms/names (not very good on me science). My Mum currently has it. I gave it to her as it explained the symtopms, feelings of helplessness, and views of medical world particularly well. The seond book, "The Fibromyalgia Healing Diet" is split into 2 sections the first one dealing with nutrition and what to eat. The second part has a lot of nice recipes (not particularly usefull for me as many had wheat and I seem to ahve acquired a wheat intolerance too).

If you would like anthing more detailed Id be happy to post again,
    Charlotte
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Just another vot: Dr. Starlanyl's Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain is out in second edition, I would get the updated version. June
  11. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Bump, for Leah