Books (More on...)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Windytalker, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Rock had mentioned recently reading Fanny Flagg's new book (The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion) and I had just bought it but finished it a few days ago. Didn't think I'd like it at first, but it turned out to be a fun read. It (sort of) focuses on the WASPs during WW2 (women flyers in the Army). What's interesting about this is...I had just read a different book (Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein) which is about another American female flyer who flew for the Brits during WW2. In "Rose" the woman is captured by the Germans and put in the horrible Ravensbruck prison camp. The source for this flyer's treatment in the camp is well documented by actual events.

Another book on WW2 I thoroughly enjoyed was "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. This is based on a true story and was a fantastic read. But, then, I loved her book on "Seabiscuit", too. What's fascinating about "Unbroken" is the fact we lost more planes transporting them to war locations that we did in the actual fighting.

SG and I both read a trilogy by Nancy E. Turner about the settling of early southern Arizona. The books are based on her great-grandmother. The trilogy starts with "These Is My Words" and goes from there. I got so involved with the characters, I hated for them to end!!

I absolutely could not get into "Inferno" by Dan Brown. Neither could SG. I've also tried reading his book "Digital Fortress" and keep putting it aside for better reads.

I'm a big fan of Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books. Every time I think of Tom Cruise playing that roll in a movie cracks me up. "Jack" is 6'5" and weighs 250...Cruise just does not fit the picture in my head. Now, if they'd used someone like Chris Hemsworth or Liam Neeson...THAT movie I might watch...LOL.

I read at night before going to sleep. It helps quiet my mind from my "lifestyle". I know you understand...

Okay...what have you been reading lately?

Hugz,
    Windy
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Windy

Just read a book with a rather windy title: Lincoln Legends, Myths, Hoaxes, and
    Confabulations by Edward Steers Jr. I had seen the author's name in many other
    books and web sites; often cited as a Lincoln expert.

In this book he attempts to separate popular beliefs from facts. (And sometimes the facts
    are still unclear.) For example, he says Lincoln did not write the Gettysburg address on
    the back of an envelope while riding on a train to the ceremony. And there are several
    original copies.

And Lincoln did not write the letter to Mrs. Bixby, the widow who lost five sons in the
    war. And she didn't really lose five sons. But it would take too much time and space to
    set forth all these stories here. (The letter BTW, was read in the film "Saving Private Ryan.)

I like about reading American history that has an unusual connection to the present.
    Like the famous and infamous folks from our Old West history who
    were still alive when my dad was young. Or even when I was young.

Here's a similar sort of connection for everybody on the board. Dr. Samuel Mudd was the
    guy who set Booth's leg after the assassination. Mudd was tried and sentenced to life. But
    after about 4 years, President Andrew Johnson pardoned him.

Mudd's grandson, Dr. Richard Mudd, tried for decades to get the conviction overturned.
    He didn't. But he did get the government to agree that the trial of civilians by a military
    court was wrong. Richard Mudd lived to be 101 years old. Died in 202. Everybody on
    the boar was alive then. SOL

I had not heard about "Unbroken". Will have to put it on hold. Will also have to
    read Lauren Hillenbrand's article "A Sudden Illness" which was published in "The
    NewYorker" and can be read on line. It's about her struggle with CFS which she
    developed while in college.

Gordon went to the library today. Brought home another bag of books. More
    riches to enjoy.

Rock
  3. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

The book about Lincoln sounds fascinating. Doesn't it make you wonder why so many historical legends aren't actually true? Watching one of the Discovery Channels recently, they discussed several myths about the birth of our nation. One was Paul Revere wouldn't have said "The British are coming!" because, at that point in time, everyone was basically considered British.

And, speaking of Lincoln, I'm also reading (between books) "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker" by Jennifer Chiaverini. This is about Elizabeth Kekley (a freed slave) who made Mary Todd Lincoln's dresses and became a close friend of Mrs. Lincoln. It gets a bit droll at times, so I put it aside then go back to it periodically. It's fiction based on fact...Mrs. Kekley's personal notes/diary.

Another book I bop into now and then is "1776" by David McCullough. The book confuses me at times, but I put this to my fading brain cells. David McCullough, himself, has a fascinating history...a 2-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize. I especially enjoy his narrations of various documentaries...like Ken Burns' series on the Civil War. Another interesting link, he also narrates the movie "Seabiscuit" based on Hillenbrand's book.

Hillenbrand's book "Unbroken" is actually "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption". It's a truly enjoyable read. If you don't read it, your name will be "Mudd".:) But, I never knew Hillenbrand had CFS or if I did, I don't recall. I've made a note to find that article.

I'm a "mood reader"...that's why I keep the Dressmaker and 1776 books in the wings. I bop back into them when the mood strikes. I'm currently in the mood for a romance...so I'm reading trash right now.

As much as my Kindle is handy (and I use it a lot), it just does not have the "feel" of a "real" book. Our local library is limited...I do miss L.A.'s wonderful library system!! You, Gordon and SG are soooo fortunate.

Windy
  4. Stixx

Stixx Member

Last book I read was 11/23/63, the Stephen King novel about the assassination of John F Kennedy, Really good read actually. It's about a man who is shown a portal that takes him back to 1958 and he plans to stay and stop the Kennedy assassination.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Am halfway through a biography of Vivian Vance. Have just gotten to the point where
    she is about to become Ethel Mertz. Before that Vivian was in several Broadway shows. She
    also sang in nightclubs, was in a couple movies, and toured for 6 months during WW II to entertain our troops in N. Africa and Italy.

This is the only bio I've seen of Vivian. Just checked the L. A. library. There is a dual bio of
    Vivian and William Frawley titled "Meet the Mertzes". I believe one has to read it with bifocals. HaHa!

Hi Stixx, welcome to the board. I read a book umpteen years ago where the hero went back in
    time and successfully prevented the assassination of JFK. But only by Oswald.

Have discovered a new author of thrillers. Noah Boyd (a pseudonym) was in the Marines
    and later an FBI Agent. He wrote two excellent thrillers, but died before he could do more.
    It probably would have been a very successful series. Both books had the same detectives.

Windy, I read that about "The British Are Coming" somewhere a long time ago. You can see
    photos of Revere's silver pieces on line. He apparently was wealthy. Despite my Alz, I still
    remember parts of Paul Revere's Ride that I learned in High School.

There was a Broadway musical named "1776" about 40 years ago. I had the recording.
    The composer had written some pop tunes, but I couldn't find anything worth listening to
    on that recording.

How would you like to watch a soap opera that introduced each episode with: "As pages in
    a vast library of books, so are The Days of Our Lives.

Rock
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Finished the tome on the deaths at Memorial Hospital during Hurricane Katrina. I'm still not sure what actually happened. I think there was no plan and massive chaos and I do believe they euthanized patients who might have lived had they been evacuated. No charges were filed against the female doc and the two nurses who allegedly gave lethal doses of Morphine and Versed to patients. This doc has been lobbying for laws which prohibit indicting docs in catastrophies for the decisions they make regarding life and death and triage of patients. Seems that many hospitals and nursing facilities are woefully unprepared for catostrophic events. My only advice is that if y'all have loved ones in hospitas during such evenst, don't leave them and try to evacuated with them. This is especially true if they are very old and/or very sick and/or have a DNR order. It's one thing to withhold treatment, other than palitive comfort, but it's quite another to have a doc decide to end their lives because these docs have no idea how to handle multiple problems under difficult situations.

Read a fairly good murder mystery and started another. Thank God for my Kindle.

Love, Mikie
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hey, Fellow Readers

Just turned the computer back on. It had a nervous breakdown an hour or two ago. Ha Ha! One seldom hears "nervous breakdown" anymore. Or "Film at eleven". Or "Hafta chance my typewriter ribbon". Or "It's important. Send it airmail." Or "Where can I find a payphone?"

Gordon is going through boxes of stuff. He found a wonderful book I had forgotten about. The title is "A Martian Wouldn't Say that!!" Compiled by Leonard B. Stern. How 'bout that? Guy's name is a command.

Anyhoo, the book is a collection of memos from TV executives to the creative people. Here are a few samples:

Pls. change dialog on page 12. A Martian wouldn't say that.
    With regard to the Fred Astaire Special: Too much dancing.
    This is the best script of "The Adams Family" we've read in a year. Attached are notes for
    the rewrite.

Rock
  8. bct

bct Member

Hi All. I've been reading a series of fairly cozy mysteries by Leo Bruce and have been enjoying them. The author is English, and very prolific, having also written a large number of books (non-mystery, but fiction still) under his real name of Rupert Croft-Cooke. Look him up in Wiki. An interesting life, much lived as an expat.

His books can be hard to find.

Happy Reading,
    Barry :)
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Barry

Hard to imagine a more English name than Rupert Croft-Cooke. Never heard of him. But, I read about him on Wikipedia. Turns out I read his book "Bosie" some years ago. Bosie aka Lord Alfred was still alive when I was a kid. Only the author is listed as Douglas Murray. Too confusiatin' for my Alzy brain to figure out. I put a mystery on hold with the L A Pub Lib.

Rock