BOOKS regarding LYME & alternatives... everybody?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Dec 31, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I thought it might be a good idea if a thread was started with names/authors of books about alternatives as well as the 2 standards of medical care for/about Lyme... so I will start with what appears to be the most recently published book along with 2 others frequently mentioned:

------------------------------------

<b>USER'S GUIDE TO NATURAL TREATMENTS FOR LYME DISEASE </b>
    (Oct. 2006) by James Gormley, Caren Feingold Tishfield

REVIEW: Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial infection transmitted by a tick bite, and is best treated early with antibiotics. However, many people suffer from chronic relapsing Lyme disease, which can cause a variety of physical and psychiatric symptoms: recurrent fever, fatigue, muscle and joint stiffness, poor coordination, lightheadedness, mood swings, and depression. In this User's Guide, health authors James Gormley and Caren Feingold Tishfield, R.D., explain how to best avoid Lyme disease and how to benefit from safe treatments.

About the Authors:
    James J. Gormley is a well-known health and nutrition writer whose articles regularly appear in "Let's Live" and other magazines. He is the coauthor of "User's Guide to Brain-Boosting Supplements."

Caren FeinGold Tishfield, R.D., is a dietician who advises clients in New York City. Because of her personal experience with chronic relapsing Lyme disease, she has developed an understanding of how to help others with this condition.

-------------------------------

<b>HEALING LYME:
    NATURAL HEALING AND PREVENTION OF LYME BORRELIOSIS AND ITS COINFECTIONS</b>
    by Stephen Harrod Buhner (June 2005)

REVIEW: Despite Centers for Disease Control estimates that only 20,000 new Lyme disease infections occur each year, the true figure, as Harvard medical school researchers have found, nearly approaches 200,000. Symptoms run from mild lethargy to severe arthritis to incapacitating mental dysfunction. And despite medical pronouncements to the contrary, extensive research has found that tests for the disease are not very reliable and antibiotics are only partially effective; up to 35 percent of those infected will not respond to treatment or will relapse.

The spirochetes that cause Lyme are stealth pathogens--they can hide within cells or alter their form so that antibiotics cannot affect them. Lyme disease is, in fact, a potent, emerging epidemic disease for which technological medicine is only partially effective. 'Healing Lyme' examines the leading, scientific research on Lyme infection, its tests and treatments, and outlines the most potent herbal medicines and supplements that offer help--either alone or in combination with antibiotics--for preventing and healing the disease. It is the essential guide to Lyme infection and its treatment.

--------------

<b>WHEN ANTIBIOTICS FAIL:
    LYME DISEASE AND RIFE MACHINES, WITH CRITICAL EVALUATION OF LEADING ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES</b>
    by Bryan Rosner (Jan 2005)

(Rosner also talks about the Marshall Protocol, altho he refers to it as 'benicar therapy')

REVIEW: There are enough books and websites about what Lyme Disease is and which ticks carry it. But there is very little useful information for people who actually have a case of Lyme Disease that is not responding to conventional antibiotic treatment. Lyme Disease sufferers need to know how to get better, not how to identify a tick.

This book is about how experimental frequency devices known as "rife machines" have been used for over 15 years in private homes to successfully fight Lyme Disease. Many Lyme Disease sufferers have heard of rife machines, some have used them.

But until now there has not been a concise and reliable source to explain how and why they work, and how and why other therapies fail. In the book you will learn that rife machine therapy offers numerous advantages over antibiotic therapy, including sustained effectiveness, affordability, convenience, autonomy from the medical establishment, and avoidance of candida complications.

The Foreword for the book is by Richard Loyd, Ph.D., one of the nation’s leading rife machine researchers and coordinator of the annual Rife International Health Conference. Rife machine expert Marc Fett and Coil Machine inventor Doug MacLean contribute their knowledge and experience in the book, as do several other prominent rife machine experts and Lyme Disease researchers.

Throughout the book you will find stories of Lyme Disease sufferers who have used rife machines. You'll learn how they did it, what they would have done differently, and their experiences with other therapies.

This book is user-friendly for people who have no prior knowledge of rife machines, but advanced enough to encompass documented scientific research and Lyme Disease pathology.

The book contains critical rife machine information organized into a straight-forward and concise format. A detailed index and table of contents allow navigation to the topics you are interested in.

The book takes a practical, down-to-earth approach which allows you to learn about:
    • Why rife machines work after other therapies fail, including specific problems with antibiotics

• Sample rife machine treatment schedules and sessions

• The most effective rife machines: High Power Magnetic Pulser, EMEM machine, Coil Machine (also known as the Doug Device) and AC Contact Machine

• Explanation of the "herx reaction" and why it indicates progress

• Critical evaluation of leading alternative therapies, including mercury detoxification, ozone therapy, homeopathy, hyperbaric oxygen chamber, herbs, colloidal silver, colostrum, and more

• How use of multiple machines can lead to synergistic benefit and accelerated recovery

• What it feels like to use rife machines - discover the steps to healing

• Extensive discussion of antibiotics, including natural and herbal antibiotics

• The intriguing story that led to use of rife machines as a treatment for Lyme Disease - how it all began

• Answers for skeptics

• Safety and side effects

• A description of rife machine components

• How to combine rife machine therapy with other supportive therapies to accelerate progress

• Many other carefully selected subjects

-----------------------

Feel free to add other books and/or add your reviews of any books already listed...

best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 01/01/2007]
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

" Healing Lyme" by Stephen H. Buhner
  3. bct

bct Active Member

In your personal opinion which of these books is the best?
    I have the Buhner book and am reading it. It is pretty complex, so I'll have to work with a lyme literate naturopath on this.

Regards,
    Barry
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I have only read portions in the 2nd & 3rd books I listed, the first one I listed I just found when I checked Amazon for this post, altho it sounds like it may be good.

The thing is, my son's Lyme doctor, after talking to him about hyperbaric O2, made the comment, "Anybody can write anything..."; which is true. Somewhat eye-opening to find that his protocol and success using hyperbaric O2 was different than what the textbook and other info I found recommended... and given my son's response, we're going with his doctor's recommendations.

So I suppose dealing with these difficult or mystery illnesses, we all need to remember
    1) 'buyer beware' and
    2) not everything works for everyone or helps in the same way(s) necessarily.

It just occurred to me that the other thing that can be helpful maybe is to read others' reviews of the books at the Lyme organizations that are well known perhaps? like ilads.org etc...

all the best,
    Victoria

5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

" anybody can write a book on anything" . Factually , that is accurate . HOWEVER , I have to SEE results with REAL sick people to believe that the ideas advocated have credibility .

I also check in at lymenet , and can tell you that there are SICK people who sincerely claim to be improving
    SIGNIFICANTLY with rife and with Buhner's protocol.
    The reports are convincing that alternatives DO HELP some people. Many of these have failed with ABX .

An improving patient is the best witness to any therapy .
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

of course!

... look how acupuncture is accepted now for instance. Back in 1972 a friend of mine was paralyzed in his legs from a car falling on him... a Chinese doctor doing a residency at the hospital pulled him aside and told him acupuncture could help him and where to go for it, but also said he would deny ever telling my friend that, etc. Acupuncture was considered akin to witchcraft back then.

My friend was able to walk with braces after 2 months of acupuncture, something the 'standard med' docs told him wouuld never happen. When he tried to tell his treating physician what helped him, the MD said to never mention the word 'acupuncture' again or he would be refused ANY further services there.

All I was trying to say was that it seems, based on doctors' experiences with patients on the frontlines, often different protocols are conceived depending on patients' responses.

The way it stands now, while we all think the HBOT is killing a probable bartonella infection besides the Lyme as well, doing it every day caused too much of a herx for him. Not only did he need a break, but he apparently needs to take it much slower than many others.

Bottom line is, it seems, we all react differently to different protocols and supplements and etc...

all the best,
    Victoria

7. victoria

victoria New Member

Geez, I just got this from a yahoo lyme list I'm on...

And somehow I find this very believable since the US gov't has formally announced that the new research facility in Colorado is going to be working on bioweaponizing Lyme and other nasty bugs...

=================

Lyme Meeting January 13
    1-3 pm
    *Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital
    12401 Washington Blvd. Whittier, CA 90602

*hospital is located at Slauson Exit off 605 fwy...for directions phone
    (562) 698-0811

PRESENTATION WILL START on TIME in Room F

Guest Speaker

Rachel Verdon, author of
    LYME DISEASE AND THE SS ELBRUS:
    COLLABORATION BETWEEN THE NAZIS AND COMMUNISTS IN CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL WARFARE
    will discuss the origins of Lyme. Her research, based on innumerable declassified government documents and interviews, provides an eye-popping and historical account of Lyme. Ms Verdon will be available to sign copies of this in-depth and investigative publication. A limited number of books will be on hand for purchase.

8. victoria

victoria New Member

no, I haven't really pursued it altho it's probably very likely, all the gov'ts have done bio research on organisms and are continuing to do so today.

The book about Plum Island may have some info... most of the internet sites tend to be a bit over the top - altho - I actually wouldn't put it past people to do such crazy things, they already have as we all know.

The new Rocky Mtn biolab that just opened recently announced lyme was amongst the pathogens they would be studying for bioweapons etc.

The gov't is currently trying to open a new biolab, my town is being considered as one of the 8 possible sites, but all the possible sites are in well-populated areas. IF I remember right, the location of the Rocky Mtn Lab was a selling point, as it was in a relatively unpopulated area (not sure)... in any case, I really don't understand how they want to open one here so near to metro Atlanta or the other sites equally close to other large metro areas.