Books - what are you reading?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I miss Ken's Book Club. Thought I'd try to catch up on what people are reading.

I've just finished The Believers - Zoe Heller which is the best 'new' book I've read in a very long time, so well written, captivating, nasty at bits - I loved it. This woman can write.

Going to read Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, a French Jewish woman who wrote about life in France in the early 40s. I'm not sure if I'm up to it emotionally but I hope I am.-, I think a work like this deserves to be read.

I also have The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga which is a tale about 'Two Indias' - one seeping with poverty and the other where the advent of the call centres etc is creating a new India. Sounds boring here but it has had good write ups.

I'm always up for advice on good books to read.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thats what I find so hard about 'holocaust' books and films - its not a story, it happened and some much 'evil' still going on. Historically, genocide and enslavement has always happened. It's sometimes to hard to read about, like you said, 'hard to stomach'.

That sounds like a good idea reading all the Pulitzer Prize winners, might have a delve in there myself. I'll take note of the Book of Negroes and see if I can get it from my library.

3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

even though I feel much less cultured an all of you my friends. I am reading James Patterson's 7th Heaven. I have such a hard time putting two words together, yet Patterson I can read....can't remember it when I've finished...but hey, I can finish it!!!! lol!

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

don't know why you feel 'less cultured' - I often forget books once I've read them too.

I'm glad you can read, many people with our illness cant manage.

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I surprised myself -- I hardly ever get a chance now to read in 'big gulps' like I used to.

But a friend loaned me a book that I read straight through in one sitting: The Glass Castle.

It's a memoir of a woman who grew up in a family that had very little direction or protection by the parents. Stunning, sad, amazing...I really like non-fiction. And this is a great one.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am drinking fresh carrot juice. Really refreshing! Like a glass full of springtime. Made it at home.

Rosie, I don't think I want to read any of those books you mentioned. Is Zoe Heller related to
    Joe Heller, author of Catch 22? Or maybe Joe changed his name; or his sex?

Anyhoo, As usual, I am reading 4 books more or less simultaneously. This is getting harder to do though,
    w/ Alzheimer's on top of brain fog. I keep getting the characters mixed up. Good thing my days of tests and book reports are behind me.

My aunt and uncle in Rochester, MN, sent me a huge book of verses by Ogden Nash. Who knew
    he wrote so many poems? And many of them are long. Well, the New Yorker paid him more
    for long works.

His most famous verse was titled Ice Breaker.

Men seldom make passes
    At girls who wear glasses.

Except some sources credit this to Dorothy Parker. I always thought it
    was Dorothy Parker.

Anyway, here's a typical Nash verse from the book.

The Perfect Husband

He tells you when you've got on too much lipstick,
    And helps you with your girdle when your hips stick.

(Do women still wear girdles?)

Thanks for the Maeve Binchy news, Diane. I like her books although I tend to get her and
    Belva Plain mixed up.

Read "Having our Say" 10-15 years ago, Vicki. I know it was made into a TV movie, but I haven't
    seen it. Wouldn't it be nice if they could know what's happening today?

Jean, I am a big Dick Francis fan. See his son is now writing with him. I sent Dick a fan
    letter back in the 60s. He responded. Maybe I still have the letter in a box somewhere. I've
    got one from that period from Renata Tebaldi.

Tearch, reading Pulitzer prize winners sounds like a good idea. I'm reading So Big right now.
    Maybe I'll work on Pulitzer plays. I've read Our Town, Picnic and Glass Menagerie.

Deb, was it you who mentioned James Patterson? I didn't like his last book. He had super-
    natural elements. Or am I thinking of Michael Deaver? I get everything confusiated lately.
    Fortunately it doesn't matter too much.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very nice of you to say, my friend!
    I've been doing a little better (after a five month relapse) and might be up to doing Book Club again. Do you think there would be enough interest to start it up again?

How are you? How are things in Glasinborough/Edingow? :)

Sounds like you're reading some excellent books!

I've heard Suite Francaise is great, but it's a bit ambitious for me at the moment.

I'm reading E.M. Forster's Where Angels Fear to Tread, because one of my former Navajo students is reading it for a class and I agreed to read it, too!
    Also reading Roger Moore's memoir, My Word is My Bond. A bit dry, but he's always been my favorite James Bond (sorry, not Scottish, like Mr. Connery!)

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry, Ken, I did it again. Am constantly writing posts and e mails and leaving out something,
    sometimes the main point.

Anyway, nice to hear you are feeling a little better. Hope it lasts. I am experimenting w/ the
    B12 patch. First one was helpful anyway.

I put My Word is My Bond on hold. I remember when the Bond movies were new. The first
    ones were good. After that they deteriorated into a display of gadgets and glamor girls. Who
    wants to see that? (Apparently millions.)

Illustrating that luck trumps everything, Ian Flemming owed his success to JFK who indicated
    he was reading same. I guess nowadays the best thing that can happen to an author is
    to be endorsed by Oprah.

I've seen her magazine at the market. Apparently there is some law in publishing that requires her
    to put her picture on the cover of every issue. Another law mandates that only pictures in
    which is young and relatively slim will be used.

Read a biography of Ogden Nash. Ogden sold his first verse to the New Yorker at the height of
    the Depression for $22.50. That was more than a working man made in a week. Ogden was
    successful his whole life, but always feeling pressed for money.

Apparently no one told him that keeping two homes and employing servants might be considered
    beyond his means. Well, that's the kind of families he and his wife came from.

Can't be sure if Ogden thought so.
    Maybe yes and maybe not so.

Did he feel Life's a Bitch
    If one is only somewhat rich?

Thanks for the library science, Jean. We used to get some humdingers when I was a teenage
    cave guide for the FBI. One of my coworkers was asked, "Why is the cave so far
    from the highway?"

John told him, "We have it up on rollers. Plan to move it next month."

That was Johnny Johnson. Well, that's the kind of name you sometimes get in
    Scandahoovian Minnesota.

Just finished reading some Little Lulu and Uncle Scrooge comics. Of course they are
    reprints. The originals would be to valuable to actually read. The Little Lulu book is
    designated on the cover as a "Graphic Novel".

9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I'm also one of those who keeps several books going at one time. I usually have a morning coffee book, an afternoon nap book, a post-nap book, and a bedtime book. Currently:

** A Poisoned Mind ** by Natasha Cooper. QC Trish Maguire's first case after having taken silk. Cooper writes legal procedurals with heart and plenty social commentary.

** The Body Toxic ** by Nena Baker. Investigative journalist explores the impact of our chem-saturated world on humans. Not a tough read. Does get into the politics of it all.

** Scarpetta ** by Patricia Cornwell. The medical examiner delights throughout 500 pages of adrenaline-raising intrigue. Shades of Silence of the Lambs.

** The Reason for God ** by Timothy Keller. Christian apologetics for everyman, by an author who has been called a C. S. Lewis for the postmodern era. Salient arguments presented with a delightful voice and light tone.

Eager to read soon: ** To Dream of the Dead ** by Philip Rickman. The latest in Rickman's spiritual procedural series with Merrily Watkins, Deliverance Consultant, as capable and intelligent protagonist, backed up by her rock musician boyfriend Lol and her new agey daughter Jane.

I get 90% of my books from the public library.

Best wishes.