Bored, Bored, Bored!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know about y'all, but sometimes I just get bored out of my mind. I've always used TV, reading and the internet to distract myself from pain and exhaustion but every now and then, even those things just don't do it for me. Today is one of those days. I did a couple of things around the condo and felt too tired to go on. I feel restless but cannot really do anything except totally inert activities. Despite a program on UFO's and two new magazines, I just can't seem to engage. I want to get up and clean my condo. I simply cannot do it. Whine, whine, whine!

I know I'm not the only one who gets like this. We all want so much to be like other folks. We are not lazy; we just don't have the energy to do what we want to do. I am not one to feel sorry for myself and I'm not angry. I think I'm just plain old bored out of my mind (what's left of my mind :)

Just venting. Thanks for listening. I know my friends here are the only ones who understand. I will pull out of this. I hope and pray everyone is doing well.

Love, Mikie
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

At least for me anyways. There is so much to do around the house and I do a little here and there and nothing really seems to get accomplished. Besides all the stuff inside, DH bought some plants and guess who gets to put them in?? - Great for my back and sciatica,etc,etc. DH will be power washing outside if the weather cooperates. It got chilly and very windy so we did little. DH did go to the store and look at the plants and I think he bought a few more to plant. Geez ! I would have waited for awhile anyway. I hope it doesn't freeze any more this year. We had enough of that already.

Maybe it is more like frustrated and MAD cause I hurt all the time and never really feel like doing much. I just keep on pushisng and whining to my husband. I still get stuck with the job anyway, so why do I whine? Maybe it makes me feel better, who knows. I really am not a complainer but sometime I get tired of doing stuff I wish I did not have to do in the first place.

Linda - If you find any stray NRG please send me and Mikie some PLEASE !!

Hugs to all,
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know all these emotions and states of mind are part of what ails us. I'm usually so good at staying positive but every now and then, nothing placates me. Maybe I should get out the Wii and play a game. I surely won't be working out with it.

Thanks for sharing what you are going through too. We truly are all in the same pond, even if our boats may be a bit different.

Love, Mikie
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

Did you jump in my brain and read my thoughts??? lol this is so how I feel sometimes.

There are those days when like you said the usual same same olds don't work. I look around (my condo also)and see sooo many things that need done and here I lay!!

5. S-Elaine

S-Elaine Member

Hey there. Seems like it has been ages since I’ve seen you around …… or I’m not around either.

When I think of you, Almonds come to mind. Must have been something about being on a diet & a good snack. Shesh, maybe like 4 years ago!

Many things could bore me to tears. Too many to count.

A TRICK I use, which actually keeps me busy & then than in itself will distract me from the non ability to be able to do many things a healthy person can.

== In a bag, I will pile up things I need to take care of. I bring the bag w/ me pretty much where ever I am in my house. I will put the TV on or at least music & then when I am sitting, I go into the bag and there is always an endless amount of things I can do.

Not sure if that makes sense.

I also have been going through a “phase” where my emotions can be all over the place. I have try very hard when they start to DRAG down too low. That is when I can forget about how I’m feeling for a moment, pull out the BAG and …… WA-LA, I have an instant project!

It could be as simple as making out a Grocery List, then listing Errands I need to take care, Bills or any thing I need to physically hand write out, that will be in the bag too.

My phone goes along with me, but I make sure to answer it when ----- I am available & it suits my needs. Not when healthy people just get a “whim” and want to chat with me. I guess I could describe it more as “being selfish or aware of my physical capacity” and do I have the energy at that particular moment.

I’ve been going out on walks. I take my dog with me & my MP3 player of music. MP3 Player was on sale for $29.99. Also just bought a pair of Reebok Easytone sneakers for the walks. Got them dirt cheap for only $29.99.

When I come home from the walk, I have something to drink, a snack & then grab my BAG and realize ----- I am instantly busy.

== Elaine
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think this post hit a nerve. We have all become sooooo creative in getting ourselves through our illnesses but every now and then, nothing seems to work. It's like being hungry and not knowing what we want.

Jen, at least, we don't have a lot of projects waiting for us outside. Lordy, it's often all I can do to keep the health dept. from paying me a visit in my condo. If I had a house, it would have been condemned a long time ago.

Elaine, good to see you posting. I had to retire in July as I got more and more fatigued so I've had more time to come here. I had missed everyone so much too. Yes, the almonds were part of the "Flat Belly Diet," which totally didn't work. I kept a journal and everything. I didn't lose weight; I didn't feel better; my belly didn't get flat; and my LDL cholesterol didn't improve. That said, however, I do think almonds are a good snack (especially if they are covered in chocolate :)

I make lists for small projects which I can do when I'm really tired. I try to do at least one thing each day so I don't feel totally useless. I just think that some days, no matter what, we just can't get with the program.

Here's to all the couch potatoes who would rather be up and on the go.

Love, Mikie
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

about me on the Porch a while ago. I am not bored, just feel ing sorry for myself! It is dreary, cloudy, rainy, chilly and all that goes with it.

As I reported on the Porch, my group of five lady friends-------four of them are down south enjoying sunshine. D has been down there and gone for 2 1/2 wks.k 2 sons are getting ready for sunny places and fun and here am I-----chilly and home alone!!!

I+ don't get bored---I have lots of magazines and books to read, music to listen to (but I couldn't get it to work right yesterday) and I enjoy TV.

It's just that when I go out in the a.m., I come home for the day and have no one to "chat" with here at home. I only get one thing done a day it seems. I am usually too tired in the afternoon to do anything else----and to be truthful, I don't want to because it will make me hurt!

Throw us all in the same basket and shake us all up and see what happens.

Here's to better days.

Gentle hugs,

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Afternoons are my worst time of day. When I get up, I have just enough energy to get one or two things done and then I'm done! I can usually find things to keep myself occupied but there are just days when nothing seems to do it for me. Thank God, these kinds of days are few and far between.

I'm sure the weather affects us. Here in SW FL, we are used to mostly sunny days. Even in the summer, when it rains almost every afternoon, the rain comes and goes fast and the sunshine returns. Every once in a while, though, we will get a few days of gray skies and it can get a bit depressing. Also, weather fronts and barometric pressure changes can make us miserable. A gray, rainy day usually just makes me want to curl up with a book and take a snooze.

Sorry everyone else is enjoying the nice weather and you are stuck with what's left of winter. Spring will burst forth soon. One thing I've always done is buy some spring flowers this time of year. Yesterday, I got a pot of lavender-colored tulips wrapped in the same color. It just brightens up my mood and the condo too. Unfortunately, down here, we are too far into the Tropics to get spring-flowering bulbs. The only way we get them is in pots.

Hope your spirits are better soon.

Love, Mikie
  9. jole

jole Member

You are definitely living my life. I see things I want to do....have wanted to redo my bathroom for a few years; have a few books I want to read; have friends on the internet that I've reconnected with; and am patiently waiting on Spring to hopefully get a boost. But this lack of energy (total exhaustion) seems to be worse than ever, and as much as I want to do things, I simply can't.

Being lazy would be a blessing. We really wouldn't care, would we? But this kills the soul. There are days that even phone calls from my kids/grands are too much, and I love them dearly! Just don't have the energy for conversation or the ability to be cheerful when I'm not for more than a few minutes. By the time I'm off the phone, I really want to cry, because this life seems so cruel.

Depression? I don't think so, because a couple days later things will change (Thank God) and I'll have a few good hours, or maybe a day IF I'm lucky. Some days it's just a lack of focus I think. Plenty of small projects to do, but can't get into anything, and wander the house like a lost soul in search of...??? Wishing us all better days...........Jole

10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

For those days when you just don't have the energy to accomplish much, but need to occupy time, I suggest computer games. Not the simple video game type, but the more complex games that grew out of the early 'adventure' games. I know I am dating myself when I say that one of my favorites is Myst (which I never finished). I am currently addicted to Civilization, which is engaging without being too demanding. It takes me several months to finish a game. I am still trying to figure out the optimum population growth rate. Basically, you start out with a stone-age hunter-gatherer guy and have to establish cities, research things to advance your civilization, keep your citizens happy so that they will build you a fancy throne room, defend yourself from competing civilizations (computer generated in a one-person game), and be the first civilization to get a space ship to Mars.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Where The Wild Things Are so when my grandson comes down, I have some idea of what it's about. I'm not all that excited about the adventure-type games. I do like the shoot-'em-up games. I have Avatar because I liked the movie but haven't played the game yet.

When I get bored like I was, I don't think the computer games would do it for me but at other times, they would probably keep my mind occupied. I'm soooo tired that it's really difficult to engage in anything much more difficult than solitaire and even when I play that, I miss moves. Oy!

Love, Mikie

BILLCAMO New Member

& many others here , are not alone !

Tonight , either my puter or this forum/site......or both ....are a bit messed up...

In that retrospect , life is seldom>)

Blessings ,

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But every once in a while, I do and when I do, it's in spades! Fortunately, I've recovered from the boredom (it never lasts long). Today, I stopped downstairs to see whether my neighbor wanted to get her hair cut too. We went and got our haircuts and she invited me to join her, her husband and anoher friend to go out for corned beef and cabbage. I'm Irish but I don't like it so I had a hamburger. We got back and worked on her computer. All manner of electronic communicatons are messed up. I think we finally got it running OK. We went to Barnes & Noble to pick up a book on Windows 7 just in case :) I found a beautiful bargain book of Tuscan photography for only $10, so it was a good trip.

When we got back, the men were watching the Kentucky game as one of our other friends in the neighborhood is from there. What a game, down to the buzzer. After eating that HUGE lunch, they wated to go out for pizza. I begged off. I'm still recovering from my colonoscopy on Tues. and I'm still a bit tired.

Here's hoping no one else gets the boredoms.

Love, Mikie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the info. I responded to your post over there. Wayne posted about his Alpha-Stim which he has used successfully after weaning off Klonopin. If the peptide injections work, I may try to wean off.

Love, Mikie
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

it gets to me, and it makes me agitated... which is when housework gets done! LOL
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wish I had enough energy to do a little housework. Need to take garbage down to dumpster and dust the condo. Think I got a little virus as I was nauseated and had diarrhea all day yesterday. Also had swollen lymph nodes. I'm popping an antiviral just in case. Just getting out on St. Paddy's Day broke the boredom and, even though I'm not feeling well, I'm not feeling anxious nor bored--thank God! Tree pollen is horrible and it could just be allergies. With us, it could always be a million things!

Love, Mikie
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so seldom bored; like you, I enjoy life's simple pleasures. I must have really been having a bad day when I first wrote this. The Sjogren's symptoms have cut into my energy and I haven't had that level of exhaustion in years. I'm just not used to it. Still, I usually find ways to entertain myself.

If you don't like all the wires, you might like a laptop. With an inexpenisve wi-fi that you can hook up wherever your phone or cable comes into your home, you can use it anywhere without all the wires and cables. You can buy a small, inexpensive one and still use your old keyboard, mouse and screen if you don't like typing on laptops; they do take some getting used to. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Love, Mikie