boss doesn't get it.....what else can i say? help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ohyayer, Jan 11, 2006.

1. ohyayer

ohyayer New Member

I have spoken to my boss a couple times about my illness. Right now I am being asked to help load 20pund boxes down a flight osf stairs into a storage unit. I will be doing this for a bout 3 or 4 weeks. This is the second day of this hard workand my body is screaming....my throat is getting soar. I just can't push myself like this. But I have also been told that if my illness continues to interfere with my job I may want to find work elsewhere. That's my boss' nice way of saying suck it up or you will get fired. I got in trouble last year because of sick days. i know I won't be able to get disability and i want to work, but everyone thinks I am just lazy. I am so frustrated.
  2. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

on intermittent family leave. It protects your joba and also helps give you a reduced work sceduale if needed. Talk to someone in Human resources this does not sound fair.

Hope you get through ok today. Take a nice hot bath when you get home.

Blessings
    Christina
  3. the same thing happened to me too ohyayer,and all i can say,from my own point of view is,this is the tactic that most employers might use when they realise that they have a worker here, who suffers with this horrible illness,cant guarentee that they can work a full time job, because of the pain,tiredness and fatigue,and so this worker isnt up to the job anymore.if we dont get fed up and depressed with keep being threatened that another sick day off work will be youre final one,and so leave the job of our own accord,the employer (as in my case) will put extra burdens on you,like make you work twice as hard,and carry heavy items.of course i wasnt fired,but had no choice but to leave of my own free will,because quite frankly it was give up my job,or die of a heart attack.they know we have to leave,we cant possibly live life doing things that ordinary none fibromyalgia sufferers do,because we dont have the muscle strength that is needed to hold down a full time job in the first place.
  4. ohyayer

ohyayer New Member

flossyfudlefan....did i spell that right?...i hope i don't have to quit but it does seem like that's what they want me to do. i am going to try my best to hang on and make them fire me if they want me to leave. then at least i will draw unemployment while i search for an appropriate job. i am sorry that anyone else has been through this because it really sucks.

love, beth
  5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Ok.. 1st of all, You have told your boss BUT have you brought in any type of documentation from your doctor as to what you can and cannot do? I think with out some type of letter from your doctor you aren't going to have as strong of a case.
    Good luck.. I know the laws are different in different states. I would be careful how you procede until you know the labor laws for your area.
    I know how frustrating it is to have to work with our limitations.. Hugs!