BOTH: and OT: Found a place to live

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Nov 11, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, finally, after looking at trashed out houses and noisy apts, found a darling little 2 br, 1/5 bath house for me and my dear SO!

We almost died with the stress of driving all over the side of town we needed to move to (closer to my medical care), and cried each day from defeat.

Then, the last house to look at was perfect...except, it is 2 stories! But, you know what? I'm never in my bedroom except to sleep at a nap and at bedtime, so we took it. I'm hoping it will make my legs and back stronger to have more movement and get me to stop living in my lounger so much.

It may not work out, but we were desperate, and its a spotlessly clean and pretty home I think we and our shepherd can live in.

Now we have to pack, and with costochronditis, that will be a challenge; think I'm going to pack each room and put a label on the boxes as to what room it goes in in new home so movers can take it right to the correct place in new home. Did that when I moved here, the movers said they wish everyone did that!

SO has a bad cold, is in bed, resting. Her FM and CFS is bad too..boy, stress and overactivity can sure do one in, right?

I'm feeling pretty strong right now, I do well in the fall, not like most with both CFS and FM. So glad we sold our house to 2nd person who came over; if had to move in Jan-Mar, I couldn't, I think.

We'll cry when we leave our wonderfulhome with pool, but there's a community pool about one block away, so when my kids come over with grandkids (well, one is starting college (with CFS!), we'll have a pool still, which they love.

Anyhow, thanks for listening to my news, and may you all be healing and taking it easy over the holidays...go OUT for Thanksgiving and somewhere ELSE for Christmas if you can, LOL.

Love y'all
    findmind
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm so glad you found a new home. I can only imagine how stressful it must have been to look for something suitable in such a short time frame.

I know you wrote you're feeling pretty strong right now, but please, please be careful with that precious energy! If you can afford it, hire someone to help with the packing as well as the unpacking, or try to get family and friends to help, OK?
  3. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Findmind,

Congrads on the new home. You might well benifit by the stairs as you noted. Hard to give up the old place though. It'll also be much easier to keep up being compact and all. I saw the idea of getting helpers to pack and that would be very valuable. Just be sure you know the packers will follow simple directions. Once made the mistake of letting my Hubby's brothers help us pack.Lord, it took months to locate anything.I swear they traveled all 6 rooms to pack each box.........

Odd that fall weather agrees with you. Most of us are much worse with any weather changes esp on top of clock changes and that's not long back. Love to the your SO and the rest of the family.If the grand with CFS paces college should be a snap compared to the alternitives. Later,Maineweezie
  4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

The other day you were sure stressed out over looking for
    a place. Now at least you have one. So sorry that you
    had to sell your house but feel that you most likely did
    the most practical and sensible thing. I know all will
    work out well for you!

Best Wishes,
    JOE aka MRDAD
  5. sues1

sues1 New Member

Summit..........SO is significant (Spelling) other,

Findmine.....I am so happy for both of you. If you can hire someone to help. You can advise what goes in what box and make sure they are labled.

Make one box with coffee pot (If you drink it, I do not), tea bags, hot choclate and such. Cups and some silverware, even if just plastic to make it easier at first.Plates, bowls Can opener, scissors, a couple of pans and serving ladle. Bread, jelly. peanut butter and such. Paper towels and such.

Now is the time for TV dinners and can soup and such.

Another with clean sheets and towels, shampoo and soap and deordant, and such.

Making sure you have the bare necessities handy. You can rest and still eat and shower anyhow. Just do not try and do all at once. When you get a chance let us know how it went. You are amazing doing so much so quickly.

Sending love and hugs and many blessings.........Susan
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

That's great news!

I used to live in a two-story house and I'd stand at the top of the stairs thinking hard every morning to make sure I had what I needed for the day. A basket at the bottom of the steps (they make special narrow ones that conform to the steps if you want to spend the money) lets you put things in it during the day so you can take everything up at once at night.

Color-coding the boxes for a move is a good idea too. I even put a piece of green painting tape on the ones that went to the basement or you could use different colored markers for each floor to write the room they go in. It makes the move go faster and we need fast.

I've moved a lot and know that where there's a will, there's a way! Glad you're feeling fairly good, too.

Marta
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Find Mind. As everyone is saying, don't half kill yourself moving.

Now is a good time to disencumber yourself.

Last time we moved we took carloads of the stuff to the thrift shops. One of my friends told me that during her last move she stored 40-some cartons of stuff in the garage.

Three years later she hadn't opened a single one.
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

findmind:

I am so happy for you. Yes, you know all of things that have happened. Yet, you have done all that matters.

My love and congratulations,

nyrofan
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am so happy for you although I am sad that you had to move from the home you loved. I've thought of doing the same thing myself. I have the same problem of living to far from health care.

Does it have a porch?
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

thanks, guys! Nice to hear from you all...

prickles, yes, the looking for place to live was the hardest part. I know city well, but some areas have gone downhill and I didn't know it until got there and saw trashed, moldy not maintained homes for outrageous rents.

summit: SO is my DP, only a beautiful, wonderful woman who got Fm then CFS after our 1st 7 years together; celebrated 21 years in July '06. Good advice on moving, thanks a lot!

fight: thanks for the heads-up...I'll look for Tam's query about me..Hugs back at you, friend.

Sues1: You're worried about us eating>there are 22 places to eat/order take out within 8 blocks away from new house, LOL! No, no porch, per se, but a sweet patio shaded by a huge oak tree. Wanna come over and sit awhile?

All of you are great and believe me, the support is so helpful thru such a stressful time, so thanks so muchly!!

Love and hugs,
    findmind
  11. findmind

findmind New Member

We have filled up 4-4ft high, recycle bins so far and I'm not done :eek:urs, our two nabors, and one belonging to an absent nabor!

Daughter came today and helped me carry about 14 boxes of CFS files I have archived from our old support group. I cannot take them with me, so have separated them into donations to library, recycle bin, keep, etc. What a job! Thousands of papers I couldn't think of a reason to keep, so recycled bin they went.

this was a BIG help to me; to carry them from bedrooms way over to other side of house: then I found a mini had cart which helped a lot. The things one uncovers when one moves, LOL!

The storage closet (6x10) is a nightmare with every tool known to a homeowner and billions of nuts, bolts and screws. Put in jars and will take and maybe be able to sort out at new house. Maybe a special rack to hold them will be in order, yes?

We're actually able to move on 27th, I'll stay there, DP will come back to old home and clean up for buyer; vac and toilets and tubs and tile floors. Buyer's going to keep one bed, a couch and chair we don't want; he has very little furniture, so it's stuff he can use until he gets his own. He seems to be divorcing, has a 14y.o. dau. in Germany with Mom in military and 11 brothers and sisters and countless neices and nephews, so they should love this house and pool.

The appraisal came in at $500 more than the buyer's offer, so all is going well, esp. as we got $30 thousand more than we thought we'd get, lol! Love my real estate agent, he's making everything so easy for us.

New roof will be paid for by us, but go on AFTER we leave! Buyer agreed, so that's great for my sanity.

I'm moving right along very well; sleep about 11 hrs a day with meds and get right to work when get up and after tea and oatmeal.

Thanks for all the love and support once again; it means so much to me.

Love ya,
    findmind