BOTH: One week until movers arrive Courage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Nov 20, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

I cannot believe it, we listed our house on Fri. 13th of Oct., sold it on Nov. 1st, and had to find a place to go to by Dec 1st!

Let me tell you, my dear partner got a cold and was very sick 2 weeks ago; I got it last Friday, and I am so, so sick. I took the weekend off!

We both have FM and CFS. It has been miraculous how we have been able to pack over 60 boxes so far, being so sick.

I wonder if we will "crash" royally the day after the movers get us in our new place to live. At least we won't have to worry about cleaning the pool, mowing the three different lawns, and taking care of a big house anymore.

I wonder if I'll ever even unpack all the things in boxes, LOl! Now I just have to think of a way to get the movers to put the things we might not have room for into the farthest reaches of the new garage, and the things we use in front where we can get at them.

I cannot believe how our bodies have stood up to this stress. We hit the floor running each day and tackle one or two things a day, and it's actually all coming together!

Maybe we have been able to do it becuz we want to be strong for each other, so one doesn't feel the burden all alone. I do believe if you have to have these horrible diseases, one' partner should too! Somehow it just works, LOL!

You know, I've said it before: people with CFS and/or FM (PWC/FM) are the most courageous people I know.

Those of you out there going to school, raising kids, grandkids, challenged loved ones, I salute you! Everyday must be like our last 3 weeks, and you are surviving!

Keep on hanging on, all of you...I care about you all very much.

There's always hope!
    findmind
    p.s. "BOTH" in title tells you I have both CFS and FM
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

You wrote,"Now I just have to think of a way to get the movers to put the things we might not have room for into the farthest reaches of the new garage, and the things we use in front where we can get at them."

If you know which boxes these items are---HAVE THEM PUT THOSE BOXES ON THE TRUCK LAST. Tell the "head man" that you want the items with the colored paper tags to go into the far corner of the garage at the new place. You can ask him if he has any suggestions how to accomplish this. You can ask him if it would help if he put this stuff on the truck last so it will come off the truck first.

I'd also have some color coding system (Maybe a full sheet of a certain color of colored paper glued to the side of each box that is in this category). That way, the movers have a BIG visual guide. I'd also probably tape some of the same color paper scattered around the garage floor where you want these boxes. If there are also some pieces of furniture, I'd tape the colored paper to each of them too. You don't want to have to put all of your time at the new house focused on stuff that isn't important/ possibly unusable. So color code it and show the men the location in the garage where you would like this stuff.

If you really know that in all likelihood you aren't going to use something---give it away, sell it, donate it, etc. We all tend to want to hold onto stuff "in case we will need it sometime inthe future". It clutters our minds and our living space.

[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2006]
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Is this supposed to be on the Chit Chat board instead of here?

I'm clueless how to move it over there.
    Some good moving checklists to help ease your concern:
    NOTE: I'm not recommending any of these movers, I'm just suggesting that these sites have good check lists for moving.
    http://www.upack.com/moving-resources/checklist.asp

another site offered this advice:
    One Month Before Moving

Fill out change of address order form for post office.
    Fill out an IRS change of address form.
    Make arrangements with moving company or reserve a rental truck.
    Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels.
    Transfer memberships in churches, clubs and civic organizations.
    Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
    Set up a checking account in your new city.
    Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
    Take inventory of your belongings before they're packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings. Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
    Make arrangements for transporting pets.
    Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
    One To Two Weeks Before Moving

Switch utility services to new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
    Arrange for help on moving day.
    Confirm travel reservations.
    Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
    Have appliances serviced for moving.
    Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
    Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
    Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank. Before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven't been processed.
    Collect valuables from safe-deposit box. Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
    Check with your insurance agent to ensure you'll be covered through your homeowner's or renter's policy during the move.
    Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Place deodorizer inside to control odors.
    Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.

Carefully read the information on the estimate, order for service, bill of lading, inventory, and all other completed documents before you sign them.
    Keep the bill of lading until your goods are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
    Give the driver directions to your new house.
    Inform the driver and the moving company of where you can be reached during the move.
    Note on the inventory list all boxes or other items that are damaged before you sign any documents.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take a Last Look Around:
    Do any of these apply???????
    Water shut off?
    Furnace shut off?
    Light switches turned off?
    All utilities arranged for disconnection?
    Windows shut and locked?
    Old house keys surrendered?
    Gsrsge door opener?
    Packet with warranties for new home owner???
    Have you left anything?

4. tlayne

tlayne Member

I just wanted to pop in and say hi! Tonight I will say a prayer of strength and energy for you and your partner. I'm not here much, but when I am I look for you. You have become a dear friend to me, and I care about you very much also. Hugs, Tam
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

just on sure motivation. atleast you have some mover's to help load.

and unload. it is putting it all away.

i still need to get some curtin rod extenders and hang my pictures.

then i want to work on buying bedroom set. and new comforter.

something the ex and i didn't share.

jodie
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

Whee! This is my 45th time moving! I have a good system; I put what room I want each box to go in into the new place! You helped me realize the ones that say "garage" are the ones I'll want in the garage, LOL!

But I am saving the list you sent for so many of the good suggestions about closing down the house and making sure everything is turned off! Hadn't thought about that, and we'll be gone 4 days before the closing and new owner moves in, so thank you!

I meant to make this about the courage PWCs have to summon up in order to do things others take for granted, and got carried away with the moving process! I'll go to the chit chat room for the next round, thanks!

7. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, I'm am so blessed! I have a friend and I didn't even know it. How very wonderful.

How come I didn't know it?! It must be all my fault because of this webtv I have; I cannot see the previous replies to posts, so cannot remember what they all said.

Therefore, you have probably answered, written, and I don't even know it!! I am so, so sorry. I shall be more attentive! I've JUST learned I can answer each post reply separately, one to each responder; forgive me, I am a slow technology learner.

It just took me 5 days and 4 calls to India (yes!) to figure out how to use my new cell phone, my first, LOL!

I'll be looking for ya, kid...

findmind (also known as Bogie sometimes)
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

I hope to have it all set up in one week, as I make the movers read the label on each box, piece of furniture, table, lamps, tvs, etc., and put in the proper room. Sure will save me a lot of work!

I know what you mean about ex-s, LOL! But I have something special from ALL mine, and each new one has put up with it!

Really, I do know what you mean and mostly I'm just kidding, but not completely.

Good luck accomplishing your decorating. Don't you just love shopping when you're exhausted and the lights and noise? Last time I was in a major dept store, my partner found me wandering an end aisle, dazed and crying because I didn't know what I was there for. I went home!

There's no place like home!

OK, I'm going to move the rest of this, if any, to the chat board, ok? Forgot to use it when made the posting, but know it really belongs there now.

Thanks, y'all for writing..
    Many huggies

findmind