BOTH: What are your favorite holiday memories??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

This may take you back a bit, but just wondering if you want to share.

MIne: Dad would decorate a tree for weeks, even drilling holes in it and adding additional branches to make it absolutely perfect and he would spray it with the fake snow. He would do the unvailing (sp) a couple days before Christmas so we could see all of his work. It was so pretty.

We would wake up on Christmas Day and he would have the video camera out, the fire lit and you would smell the coffee brewing. We had to have the Christmas Carols playing on the radio, all this had to be done before we walked down the steps. He would also set up intricate trains under the tree that would be like no other. I know why it is my favorite time of year... all of those good memories. I hope I can create those for my children.

Thanks for sharing - trying to get us in the mood...
    Hugs
    Kim
  2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I would say my favorite holiday memory was when everyone in the family used to ENJOY Christmas. Now it just seems everyone gets together because they have to. Back then nobody was affected by illness, low income, or divorce. Everyone was nice to each other. Now, they're still fairly nice (but snarky to me coz I like to be different) but there's always this tension in the air you could use cookie cutters with. Christmas has become one of my least favorite holidays because of it. It just depresses me :-

I also remember when my grampa developed cancer, we would go to kentucky to where my gramma and grampa lived instead of them coming to us. I would save some of my presents so they could see me open them. I would always run in and sit on my grampa's lap, even though he was sick he always had room for me.

A different world has developed since I was 7...and not much of it seems like it was for the best, at least around the holidays anyway.
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

There isn't just one memory I treasure but I think that one of the saddest yet one of the best was when my dad was alive. He had lukemia and that one christmas he himself went out and bought my mom and all three of use girls a specail present. It was the first time and the last time that he went shopping for us. He didn't make it through the year and the next christmas was the hardest ever but any christmas with my dad in it was and still is special to me......SueF
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

able to go now my family goes to my in laws without me and im home alone. charlene
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Okay, now you all are making me sad :-(
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

My five children lying under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve waiting for 7:00 PM when I would allow each child to open one present of their choice. They had to wait for Christmas morning to open the rest--after Santa had come sneaking in, of course.

Also, one year when I was a very little girl, my dad stood in the snow outside my window. He jingled bells and said, "I wonder if the children are asleep yet"? I was completely fooled and absolutely thrilled, as was my little brother. I must have been about six-years-old.
  7. MsE

MsE New Member

When I was little, one year my folks didn't put up a Christmas tree until my brother and I had gone to sleep. When we awoke in the morning and came into the living room, Santa had brought a fully decorated tree, had put up decorations in the dining room and living room, and left presents under the tree. Boy did that make me a "believer!"
  8. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

The best thing out of every year is my Nanny and Papaw's christmas party. She no longer cooks it all and goes all out. But everyone else pitches in now and we're swarmed with babies and toddlers. Everyone brings food and my Aunt Pat makes her great ginger crinkles and fudge cake. We have Honey Baked Ham and occasionally a pig picking but usually thats Thanksgiving. It the only time out of the year that I get to see so much of my family. This year Thanksgiving might be better though because my cousin from GA is coming up with her kids and we have't seen them in forever. She's pregnant with her third. I miss her a lot. I miss all of my family a lot, I'm jsut grateful the majority live in the same state as us. If they didn't I think I'd go crazy. :)
  9. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thanks for sharing - those are neat. I know things are not like they used to be, that is why it is nice to find good ones that you may be able to look back on.

I appreciate you sharing here.
    Hugs
    Kim
  10. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I do have some, honestly :p just the first ones I mentioned were what I remember most.

Okay, this will expose my dork side, but it's sort of become a personal tradition that after I've put my room Christmas tree up, that in the evenings I play a Star Wars computer game by tree-light. It only started because much homework isn't assigned in December and I was bored, but since then I've mysteriously ended up with a new Star Wars game in November/December and thus it's kept up.

I know it's a bit dorky, but it's fun. Except one year I ran out of a game a few days before Christmas and I was bored for those remaining nights.

So that's my fun memory :D Dorky, but fun. I find it hard to play Star Wars games now unless it's Christmas. It just doesn't feel the same otherwise.
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for the uplifting threads you have been starting! Everyone in my family had a specific thing to do when decorating the tree. My Dad did the lights, my Mom hung the garland and then we all hung our own special ornaments together with Christmas music playing. On Christmas morning I was so happy because we got to eat Christmas goodies for breakfast like brownies and cookies since it was a special day.

I have passed these traditions on to my kids. I buy them each a special ornament every year that reflects their little personalities. My husband and I do the lights and we all hang the ornaments together with Christmas music, hot apple cider and goodies. In the morning they can have treats and later that day my Dad, stepmom, sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and my other brother usually join us. It is my absolute most favorite time of the year. And yes, we put up so many lights on our house, it is like the Griswald's! (Christmas vacation movie!) :) Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  12. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

there you go nerdieduck - that was what I was looking for and You are NOT a dork sweetie... How cute... I hope yo never run out of games again - Hugs

Kim (botchick) - Thanks for your reply - god love you. I have seemed to be getting down lately when reading some of the posts. I want to help everyone but can't and then I see alot of sadness which ofcourse goes along with this DD. I did not want to make light of anyones situation, I just wanted to try to shift some of the topics to a more positive vibe and get ppl. thinking about some of the good things we have to look forward too. I needed to hear that. Hugs...

Okay Kim, anyway...we do the same thing with the kids; the special ornaments, the yummy treats and yes the Apple cider :) My 7 yr.old has already requested it to get in the mood. Every Friday seems to be craft night so they have been painting ornaments already. I can relate to the "griswalds" he he... we say we are them at Christmas and when traveling. he he... thanks for the laugh.
    Hugs!
  13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Nice to talk to you today, nice to see that we share some of the same Christmas traditions. We just bought little crafts at Michael's (craft store here) yesterday for the kids to do. I think I will have them decorate some ornaments this year also. (Thanks for the suggestion). This year we will attempt a gingerbread house too. :) Hope you are having a pain free day! I am off to physical therapy, looking forward to it. Talk to you on the "flubber thread" tomorrow. Kim :)
  14. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Kim - know you are off to therapy.. but had to quickly write back - he he. Our ornaments were bought at Michaels too! The thin wood are on sale now for $.50 each - small world. We are also going to "attempt" the gingerbread house too. Too funny!! Good luck at Therapy - hope it makes you feel good today.
    Hugs
  15. ksp56

ksp56 Member

There are so many!

When my brother and I were little, we always had a carrot for the reindeer and cookies and milk for Santa. Every year, they were both eaten! We did the same for our children and I hope it will passed on to future grandbabies!

I remember the year my Dad was bringing down a gift sled, from the attic, and we heard this loud noise. Dad had dropped it, my brother looked at me with fear and I told him it was Santa on the roof. LOL

From my early teens into my early 20's, we always had Christmas dinner with my aunt, uncle, my two cousins, and sometimes grandparents if they were in town. I HATED sitting at the 'kids' table and was so happy when I graduated to the BIG table!

I started a tradition for our families when our first born was two. I have a wonderful sausage,egg and potato casserole recipe. We always have it along with,asparagus, English muffins, and coffee cake. Along with a fruit cup. This is our Christmas Brunch. Our daughter is now 24 and if I try to change anything, both kids know and call me out! lol Even our 19 y/o son!

We love going to our Christmas Eve Services when we can. So beautiful and quite the reminder for what this day stands for.

Traditions are very special to our family. Due to my husband's parents not being the same, he loves traditions we have learned and passed on.

While my middle brother, our dads and granparents have died, I put out their pictures with candles, which glows upon them, as their love and spirits will always glow within us.

Nice topic Kim. Thinking of these have given me time to pause and reflect.

Hugs,

Kim

[This Message was Edited on 11/14/2006]
  16. ksp56

ksp56 Member

i found this subject to be worthwhile. it made me think of the positive things i have been able to enjoy. i am sure we can all think of one memory (good)prior to or after being diagnosed.