Bought new sleep formula, but I'm afraid to take it.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Andrew Lessman's products. He sells supplements on the Home Shopping Network and he is VERY popular.

All his products do not contain any additives or a lot of unnecessary junk that most products do have.

Because of my FM and sleep dificulties, I have purchased his Nite Time forumla for sleep.

Most of his products have a good retupation, so I just thought I would buy it. I am usually afraid to take most medications or supplements, I will let you know what is in this product.

Calcium 100 mg
    Magnesium 40 mg, I think
    valerian root extract (herb) 100 mg.
    Melatonin 1 mg
    Passion flower extract (herb) 40 mg.
    cammomile extract (herb) 40 mg.
    and finally, 5htp 40 mg.

This sounds like a good formula to me, but then again I'm not sure about natural sleep formulas either. Of course, he has the usual disclaimer of if you are pregnant or lactating, check with a doctor. It also says if you have an immune problem to not take it. I was tempted to call my doctor and let her know that I would like to take this product, but just haven't got around to it.

I was a little worried about the melatonin and 5HTP, the other ingredients are just herbs and I have taken those before in tea form and and has helped a little.

Does this formula sounds safe and natural to you? I will not do prescription meds for sleep issues, only will try natural. I suppose I am being a little anxious about these, not sure if I will wake up in the middle of the night with side effects or something. Anxiety and me go hand in hand, if you couldn't tell by now, LOL. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I don't know if it sounds safe or not. And there is no such thing as "just herbs" because of how things react differently when put together.

I would definitely talk to your doctor before starting any new herbs, supplements or medications. Especially if you have other medications you already take, you don't want to get any bad interactions. At the very least call a pharmacist and tell them ALL the medications, supplements and herbs you use regularly and then tell them what you are thinking of starting.
  3. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

try it!

i take natural and rx sleep aids together. thenatural one i take contains melatonin and shtp. i like it.

good luck and take care
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

The melatonin is only 1 mg, and the usual supplement dose is about 3 mg. I actually take only a little bit of melatonin, because I'd read that our bodies only need about 1/10 of the dose of the standard (3 mg) supplement strength. But still, 1 mg is on the low end of a standard supplement. (I am currently breaking a 3 mg tab in quarters, so am taking .75 mg. The local health foods store stopped selling the .5 mg and 1 mg dosages.)

I don't really know much about 5htp because I am on a SNRI, and I don't think I should be taking it with the boost I get for serotonin with my regular prescription med.

All the other stuff sounds pretty tame, unless you've had a reaction.
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Just two things, like was said previously, don't take 5htp with antidepressants. And valerian and passionflower can be hard on the liver if it is having problems. But if you've taken them before with no ill effects, then they shouldn't bother you now. You shouldn't have any bad effects from melatonin, either.

As long as someone is not on ADs and hasn't shown abnormal liver enzyme levels, I don't see any problem with trying this. It will probably have good effects for you. Sounds safe and natural to me. And the doses are low enough that probably the worst that could happen is that it just doesn't work for you like you want it to.

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

The formula sounds good to me too. I've taken all those things with no bad effect.

However, as everyone else said, if you are taking a prescription AD, then don't take the sleep formula. 5-htp helps the brain produce serotonin, so if you're already taking anti-depressant to increase serotonin, you may end up with serotonin syndrome, too much serotonin, which can be dangerous.